1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

why cant you bomb non military targets?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zalcron, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

this is not really a g and k unique question so sorry. Does anyone miss the way you could bomb mines, road, farms etc in civ 3? bombers now are ineffective on this score. Is there a mod one can use to enable this? i used to love conducting a ww2 style allied bombing offensive but now its all p c. Despite the fact you can use nukes to kill millions.

2. Gilkanese

Gilkanese Chieftain

This is a really good idea. It'd be awesome to carpet bomb the area around a city, wrecking its production and food. But for now, only nukes can do that...

3. iconocast

iconocast Prince

would be a cool uu a aircraft that can pilage.

4. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

I loved that ability in Civ III. I miss it every time I get bombers now.

5. nefloyd

nefloyd King

What does not bombing a road have anything to do with it being PC or not? I'm pretty sure nobody has ever called out a military game for being politically incorrect because you could destroy a road. So you're saying it's a symptom of PC-ness that you can't air bomb a road even though all your melee units can happily slaughter every farm, pasture, trading post, mine, and road they come across? It's just a game design decision, that's all. Bombers are good anti-unit and anti-city units; their harassment potential would go out the roof if you could destroy critical enemy improvements like strategic resources. Also, Civ 3 you spammed roads on almost every tile; that's a big difference compared to Civ 5 where pillaging a single road tile could cut off multiple cities from the trade route. Bombers would be doing both without retaliation, that's far too OP, at least when you do it with a ground unit they are invading and in danger.

6. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Has nothing to do with being politically correct. I do agree it's a nice feature from Civ3 and I wouldn't mind having it back at all.

7. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

i meant the entire bombing of civiian infrestructure , being frounded upon hence why it took until now for the bomber boys in the RAF to finally get recognised. Not liturally the bombing of a road etc.You have to admit it was cool in civ 3 how you could wreck an enemy's country without actually invading it, like the USAF did to Japan in 1944-45.

8. gunslinger6792

gunslinger6792 Warlord

being able to bomb the civs infrastructure would be great. as said by many above being able to bomb a civs luxury's or resources or just destroying roads would be invaluable

9. Dai

Dai Warlord

Given that you can pillage infrastructure with non-air units, I'm guessing it was more of a game design consideration than a political correctness consideration. It's possible that a mechanic that allows for the rapid low-cost elimination of tile improvements in a way that demands a specialized response proved too overbearing.

10. Darac

Darac Warlord

It would be nice as I find bombers not terribly useful right now. Infact the whole air force side of civ is kind of underpowered, micro managed, and neglected if you ask me.

11. Lord N.

Lord N. Chieftain

Destroying enemy infrastructure is one of the key roles of air force, and it's very strange that this is mising from Civ V. it should be added to the game ASAP with the patch.

12. Zalcron

Zalcron Prince

Exactly. Can we get a pertiton going?

13. fenwayb

fenwayb Chieftain

but isn't that exactly what it should be? Hasn't air superiority proven to be one of the key factors to winning a war since WWII?

14. Lord N.

Lord N. Chieftain

Bombing improvements was present in previous Civ games, and it was working just fine. even in Civ1 air units had the ability to pillage. I really can't understand why it was removed in Civ V.

The new system, in which you repair pillaged improvements instead of rebuilting them from scratch is perfect for implementing the air bombing. IIRC in Civ4 there was a chance that airplane would not destroy the improvement, and that may be the way to go in Civ5 also. The ability to bombard improvements could also be added to naval units, but with less chance to actualy destroy them.

@Zalcron
    I'd love to see a petition, but don't know how to create one here. :D

15. nefloyd

nefloyd King

I repeat: because in previous Civs, roads and railroads were on every tile you worked.

16. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

Just make roads immune to bombing or something so that spamming bombers won't cripple your trade network (Althought doing so would be realistic).

17. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

The reason the airforce feels underpowered to me besides just the inability to inflict collateral damage to buildings and improvements is also that all air units take an HP hit for bombing ANY target. Since when can a longswordsman do damage to a WWII bomber? That's what makes no sense. Make the AI actually build anti-air units or at least restrict automatic anti-air fire to cities and even then only to Modern-Era cities and beyond... watching a Renaissance Era city shoot rockets or fireballs or whatever at a bomber is just depressing... it makes using them kinda useless given that modern artillery do more damage with the +200% on cities.