why can't you just choose two traits?

Yeah, the UU has lost a bit of it's importance since it no longer sparks a GA. Still, some of the UU's are kinda cool.
I'm more into the traits (boobs), so I will have to look into this modding. I hope that my wife will be agreeable. :lol:

Bertilsson said:
Traits are like boobs.
To some people it is important to allways get their favorite kind of pair.
Others like to try diferent kinds every time :D
How would you feel if someone said "traits are like testicles," and then continued the comparison?

We are not amused.

I believe its done for ballance. I would personally love to choose whatever traits I want though.

neriana that would be most amusing :p

I agree, the Romans are by no means weak thanks to their UU, use the Preatorian to conquer a big empire and suddenly their traits make sense. Have the balls to get out of your comfort zone and you'll enjoy it. :lol:

It seems to me that the starting traits, techs, and UUs are somewhat balanced and that being able to customize would likely hurt the balance quite a bit.

For example, no aggressive civs start with mining, which suggests that early testing found them to be too powerful if they started with mining.

I also think the traits themselves are reasonably balanced. I have my favorites but I get bored if I play the same traits all the time so I'll mix it up and I've played as every trait at least once. Different starting techs and UUs can affect how I play too so I like variety in that as well.

That is so bad idea, this will make a game just a graphics mode.

Yes! It would be very nice to be able to pick your traits. I was looking for an industrious philosophical civ a while back and low and behold, they do not exist.

-NE

I just don't like playing as women. I don't remember if Civ IV does this, but I remember in Civ 3, it would ask you if you were Male or Female when you began the game but it wouldn't affect your portrait at all. I also create my own leader name and name some of my own cities so it's just weird to have a cross-gender thing going on. When I first read about two leaders for civs, I thought there would be two for every civ representing male and female. Is there an easy way to use another civ's portrait for a different civ? Like have Caesar's portrait with Elizabeth's Civ and traits. I'd also like to just pick my own traits. There should be a Custom civ option at the beginning of the Civ select screen where you could pick your portrait, name, traits, etc. That's much easier than dealing with text-editing files and figuring out XML and stuff.

I think this is a great idea. My first game I was looking at the traits in the book and wanted to play whatever civ was Industrius and Philosophical, howver, not one existed so I went with Cre/Phil. I really wanted to see the GP system. :D

I think now I would go with Agg/Cre

I do like the idea, but I worry that if it were built-in and so easily accessible, I'd probably always use it, never playing with the pre-ordained combinations, and losing out on some of the flavor and challenge as a result.

As for the UUs, I like having them linked to particular civs, but MRM's research-based alternative isn't bad. I'd propose a slight modification -- give the special unit to the first country to discover the pre-req tech. (Makes some amount of sense as well -- armies attempt to copy the military innovations of their contemporaries, but their copies fall short of the real thing.)

Top Bottom