Why Christians Find So Many Atheists (NOT ATHEISM) Offensive

Mastreditr111

Prince
I've been perusing some of the threads started by atheists in this forum and have come to a bit of a realization about the relations between Christians (or people of any other religious background) and atheists. It seems to me that many of the thread topics, at least, are deliberately calculated to be offensive. I'm not saying that all agnostics or atheists feel this way, but some certainly do seem to think of religious people as "those poor, imbecilic heathens" just because we cannot always perfectly articulate our feelings or prove them (the criteria for proof having been selected by aforementioned atheists.) There are those who essentially mock all that we hold dear in our beliefs and then scream bloody murder if we dare question why they hold their views or disagree with them. Again, it's not all, or even a majority, of atheists, but the few who I've witnessed doing this have angered me enough to predispose me against anyone identifying themselves as such, and I think most religious people react in like fashion. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone (atheist, agnostic, or religious) is welcome to comment on why they agree, why they find this invalid...

I find christians to be offensive sometimes mind you also.

I find it extremely offensive when people troll or flame my religion.

I find it annoying when someone makes a claim about my religion and backs it up with crap.

There are also Christians who will mention God at every chance and are generally annoying. I think there are simply good and bad people on both ends of the spectrum.

I find it annoying when someone makes a claim about my religion and backs it up with crap.

Well similarly i find it annoying when a christian backs up his arguments with the bible, (Not mainly religious arguments either) which i have seen in this forum countless times.

I don't find Christians to be unfortunate or 'heathens', I have issues with the Bible-thumping fundamentalists. I am sure that most atheists/agnostics would feel the same way. Not many people are out to rip Christianity apart, merely radical, fundamentalist beliefs.

Well similarly i find it annoying when a christian backs up his arguments with the bible, (Not mainly religious arguments either) which i have seen in this forum countless times.

What do you want us to back it up with? A Torah? An Elephant Seal? :lol:

I don't find Christians to be unfortunate or 'heathens', I have issues with the Bible-thumping fundamentalists. I am sure that most atheists/agnostics would feel the same way. Not many people are out to rip Christianity apart, merely radical, fundamentalist beliefs.

Fair enough, I never said that most are, but the actions of a few still can screw pretty thoroughly with public image.

Note: I never said there weren't Christians just like this as well, its just that as a Catholic myself, and having viewed the atheist-posted threads, I was primarily concerned with this side of the matter, at least to begin with.

Youre not the only one AlCosta. I too find it offensive when people troll and bash my faith. As well as making a claim about my religion and backs it up with crap.

QFT. It is very frustrating when that happens and it happens way to often here for it to be other than a hatred for religion, when most people should be rational about it, but they are not.

QFT. It is very frustrating when that happens and it happens way to often here for it to be other than a hatred for religion, when most people should be rational about it, but they are not.
I do agree, also on the same coin. Many Atheists and non-theists make the claim that Religious people are not rational. Eventhough we are rational.

But the beliefs are radical and fundamentalist. Pretty much you are saying that you don't have a problem with Christians as long as they don't life according to the teachings of the Bible, as long as they are only Christian in name. Because Jesus, and the rest of the Bible, demands extreme living for God, God being the supreme end and goal of everything. The "fundamentalist" Christians are the Christians who are living and preaching the fundamentals of the faith, and taking it seriously.

I've been perusing some of the threads started by atheists in this forum and have come to a bit of a realization about the relations between Christians (or people of any other religious background) and atheists. It seems to me that many of the thread topics, at least, are deliberately calculated to be offensive. I'm not saying that all agnostics or atheists feel this way, but some certainly do seem to think of religious people as "those poor, imbecilic heathens" just because we cannot always perfectly articulate our feelings or prove them (the criteria for proof having been selected by aforementioned atheists.) There are those who essentially mock all that we hold dear in our beliefs and then scream bloody murder if we dare question why they hold their views or disagree with them. Again, it's not all, or even a majority, of atheists, but the few who I've witnessed doing this have angered me enough to predispose me against anyone identifying themselves as such, and I think most religious people react in like fashion. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone (atheist, agnostic, or religious) is welcome to comment on why they agree, why they find this invalid...

Generally in the world right now there's an anti-Christian, anti-white, anti-capitalist, anti-democracy, anti-west movement. And a lot of it is actually coming from people who live in christian, mostly white, capitalist, western societies.

Why? Because they feel the need to root for the underdog. "Islam", "Communism", "Autocracies", "Atheism" and "Oriental/Alternative philosophies".

They feel that by rooting for the underdog they're setting themselves apart from the mainstream. It's like teenagers (and a lot of them probably are teenagers) that feel the need to stand out.

It's also got to do with the tall poppy syndrome. Because we're successful, they hate us. The Green-eyed monster.

It's not invalid, but this statement applies just as well for Christians, other religions, democrats, republicans, vegetarians, cat/dog owners, etc, etc.

IMO It's not the Atheists who do this that you should be angry with, but the personality type that leads to this behavior.

Why? Because they feel the need to root for the underdog. "Islam", "Communism", "Autocracies", "Atheism" and "Oriental/Alternative philosophies".
If Christianity starts to bash on Buddhism, Shintoism, Taoism, and Confucisism. Then I will be a Christian drumming to a different tune and actualy defending Oriental philosophies and religions :D.

Bast said:
It's also got to do with the tall poppy syndrome. Because we're successful, they hate us. The Green-eyed monster.
What is the Tall Poppy Syndrome? Can you elaborate on it further and expand upon it?

I think mocking other's beleifs are fine. It helps to question one's faith and prevents religous fanatiscism from becoming a bigger problem if religous people are always on the defensive

I generally do not hold respect for religion, religous people are fine, it's just the beleifs that i do not respect

It's not invalid, but this statement applies just as well for Christians, other religions, democrats, republicans, vegetarians, cat/dog owners, etc, etc.

IMO It's not the Atheists who do this that you should be angry with, but the personality type that leads to this behavior.

As a further extension of the fact that I recognize that some Christians are like this, I recognize that there are people of virtually every persuasion that are like this, but I have already stated why I chose atheism as the topic for this thread. If you wish to make one with a wider focus, go ahead.

jerks aren't limited to a certain creed, race, or religion. saying some atheists are annoying, or some christians are annoying is like saying the sky is blue.

Top Bottom