Why Civilizations 5 will be offered on the steam sale

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by the Wahoo boy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. the Wahoo boy

the Wahoo boy Chieftain

Easy, because right now it has a full pricetag. I think CIV 5 will be offered on 50% or even 40% of its current value, eventually.

2. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

Eventually. Just like every other game except CoD which will keep its console prize for this decade.

3. the Wahoo boy

the Wahoo boy Chieftain

Don't bash console-players because they are not PC-losers/geeks, allrite?

Anyway; it will happen. Just don't buy CiV5 until it is on special offer (the last 1 comes at January 2.).

4. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

What a refreshing insight. Thanks for sharing!

5. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

How did I bash console-players? I said that CoD is the only one keeping it's ridiculous prize of 60 € that pretty much no other PC game has, only console games have those kind of prizes usually. How is that in anyway bashing console-players? After that fact you start attacking PC players out of nowhere. Much sense it does not make.

Heck, I own a console too, and you really need to loosen up a little bit.

6. the Wahoo boy

the Wahoo boy Chieftain

i was wrong, very wrong. it is on 75% of its current value atm. lasts until tomorrow ~ 17 gmt.

7. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

Bump. 25% off makes it $37.49. If anyone hasn't picked this game up yet and is curious, pick it up now.

Yes I think Civ5 needs a LOT of work, but I believe there's also a LOT of potential here.

8. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

If nothing else... the new engine should create a nice platform for modders.... like a new version of RifE for instance.... right Valk?

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

10. blind biker

blind biker King

In any case, you're not actually buying a game, just a license that allows you to play it.

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Now that is semantics! What the heck is the difference? Shake my head...

12. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

You mean like every other piece of software out there?

BREAKING NEWS GUYS!

13. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Lol, so people who don't own a console are losers, right? Even if they make a good living out of using their PCs - not just for games? :lol:

14. blind biker

blind biker King

Not really. I can re-sell my used games here in Finland, but could not do that with a DLC or Civ V itself. So any DLC you buy, it's really as someone said, just a boy scout flare. Even less, as it only exists in digital form.

15. ClarenceSeedorf

ClarenceSeedorf Chieftain

Wow. Just wow.

16. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

As said above, but is worth repeating, this goes for every software (afaik) including games.

17. PieceOfMind

At least with Green Man Gaming, many of the games in the catalogue can be traded in for extra credit to put toward new games. Not ironically, with steamworks games (like civ5) sold through GMG that trade-in can't be done.

Many of the prices on GMG appear healthily competitive with Steam (they're offering Defcon for free at the moment, and Darwinia for 99 cents for example), unlike on Impulse where prices are pathetic.

Hopefully GMG will become more popular and put pressure on Steam to introduce some sort of trade-in system. I know some Steam users would rid their accounts of some games even for nothing in return (maybe bad games as part of a package, or games so bad they want to destroy :D).

18. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I've never heard of Green Man Gaming before, I also have no need of yet another account (Steam, GamersGate, Good Old Games, Impulse and GFWL are more than enough). Trading is neat but personally I don't care, as I pay attention to what I buy and don't get bad games nor do I ever trade mine in anyways.

GamersGate has some pretty sweet sales too, including Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $7.98 each which is a total steal! Good Old Games also has a lot of awesome sales. And they don't seem to be doing more than a single one day sale each day unlike Steam (Mass Effect is still $7.98).

However all that and more is detailed in this thread in All other games;
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=313962&page=30

EDIT: It seems GMG uses SecuROM if the game isn't protected by something else already;
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/green-man-gaming-to-use-securom-drm

Interesting how they give a "pre-owned" status to used serial keys, I wonder how they know you are simply playing it on another comp still?

This is completely unacceptable, and the reason I don't buy any of Ubisoft's new games.

Although if the game uses Steam, you're really just buying the code to add to your Steam account so if a Steam game is on sale on GMG it might be worth getting it there as it will only require Steam which at least works offline/if your internet cuts out.

19. PieceOfMind

Wait, before jumping to conclusions, I wouldn't read too much into that quoted section. It's ambiguous and I can tell you for a fact I can run Defcon from GMG Capsule right now without having an internet connection. I think they mean "required" in the same sense that Steam "requires" a "constant" connection for its store to work.

EDIT
    Turns out you have 3 days grace without internet connection before needing to activate again.
    So it looks like the internet connection is required in order to be able to provide the service of trading in used serial keys to be resold.

20. blind biker

blind biker King

Not really. I can re-sell any of my games OR softwares, here in Finland. I couldn't do that with Steam games.