1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why coastal cities are better than inland cities

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kryat, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

You know, that's not a half-bad idea. Districts on water tiles unlocked by certain (different) techs would work. Nan Madol, everyone! Nan Madol!

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Every cloud has a silver lining, we can find positives in practically all things.
    Horse poo makes good manure, it is still horse poo.

3. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

That was pre-GS, and my caravels, if I had any at the time, must've been exploring far away. That was almost an exemplary blitz by Peter, and he beelined those Cossacks crazy fast, but I was already on the verge of getting muskets, and after taking two of my cities AI lost all interest in further conquest, as usual. I retook my capital the same turn another lost city flipped back to me on its own.

Victoria likes this.
  4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Caravel garrisons are pretty solid if you lack resources and get the admiral that makes a armada. It's a meme, but once in a while you lack resources and this gets your cities all up- to 40 defense. Something similar can be done with frigates to deal with defenses.

However, you pretty much have to be doing a lot of things wrong to land on such a scenario....

acluewithout and Victoria like this.
  5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Sure.. which is why I would propose to go for Caravels for offensive qualities as well. Certainly garrisoning your capital with them is not a good sign.

6. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

You know. I don’t think FXS gave Coast less housing than Rivers by accident.

Like, except Coastal Cities on a really great spot (river, great resources / tiles), maybe Coastal Cites are actually meant to be worse than land cities?

I mean, look at the Shipyard. Turns Gold Adjacency into Production. So your city generates hammers without needing population. Just the sort of thing you need ... in a kind of rubbish city.

You know. ... Boats do give housing and food. But you can’t spam them like farms for housing, and no adjacencies like farms after feudalism to get extra food. Huh. ... It’s almost like they have left food and less housing because they’re going to have less productive tiles to work overall....

And now I think of it, don’t the Naval Production Cards provide higher production bonuses and the land unit ones? It’s almost as if that was to help account for coastal cities having less production for units overall...

See where I’m going with this people?

Sure, build a Coastal City in an awesome spot and it’ll be a good City. Because Good Cities are Good Cities (duh). But leaving those aside, I think Coastals are meant to be, well, not bad per se, but not as good as some river plains hill mountain range let me chop in my oracle and pyramids super cities.

Why? Because Coastals are meant to generate gold, which when you aggregate across a few coastal cities and other sources will actually have a big impact; and because they meant to be filler cities you use to maximise your map (which is why they can fairly easily get to four pop, so they can hold at least a harbour and one victory district).

The basic idea - coastal cities are a bit weak but are all about gold - is a good idea. It’s just gone a little wonky what with loyalty and disasters etc.

As a result, Coastal Cities just need to be a bit better and generating gold compared to land cities and need to be able to recover from disasters better.

Honestly. I don’t know how this thread has got to 8 pages. And all without anyone really mentioning the AI or global warming or 1upt.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  7. Victoria

There are those that would add coastal cities to that list.
    6k views is not ickle either

acluewithout likes this.
  8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Yes water tiles are bad because there is less opportunity on them, although many land tiles are desert or tundra and features require an extra worker charge to remove, but some starts and civs are very oriented to the sea. It's almost a blessing to not be harassed by land so you can concentrate on getting two harbor districts and early caravels.
    I would definitely not beeline frigates for garrison purposes since the Eureka is basically saying "you need to turn around and tech towards muskets". But caravels are 4 movement +1 sight muskets with a renaissance admiral.

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Huh, I've never once thought to check and see if Building repairs can be purchased with gold. If so, that would help with hurricane disaster relief. If not, maybe Firaxis should make that change. Maybe they should even allow the District repairs to be purchased with gold as well.

acluewithout likes this.
  10. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

How the hell else are you supposed to make naval units? In sea maps you need a navy. Of course coastal cities are useful; though, I guess I have always played archipelegolelo maps since I have started Civ6. If you're playing one continent map than .... really, .... I dont trust you as a person.

11. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Pfft that's not the right way to play /s

12. Caprikel

Caprikel Chieftain

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    Agreed, I just don't understand people who treat Pangea as if it's the standard map. For me even if I'm planning on playing a mostly land based civ, I'll still at least use continents so that there's still some balance for Coastal civs.

Victoria, Rosty K, Ziad and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

I personally can't wait for Small Continents. That's the best map type balancing both land and sea... although I'm definitely curious about Seven Seas.

pokiehl and acluewithout like this.
  14. Victoria

I used continents because smaller maps tend to have no deep sea so it is no challenge to circumnavigate.
    Many people have said they use Pangea primarily to avoid having to use navy. I understand that approach, naval warfare is appalling.

acluewithout likes this.
  15. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

i cant remember a civ iteration where the AI was providing any challenge at all , at sea or air. On land at least it is building units and sending them to die or waiting for you to come and kill them . You get the feeling of playing against something. Unfortunately not so much at sea or air. Multiplayer is the only place where you can see some naval or air battles. Again not so much since it is usually over by that point but still a chance.

16. Victoria

Civ V had some half decent air.
    Civ VI has always been a fail with air but at least is starting to produce units that do patrol and even sometimes attack. One issue is the immense cost of air units. Currently Civ VI air still has some issues where a non promoted fighter can one shot naval units to the extreme. AA also does not quite work correctly but its not a thread to discuss air nor even navy in any detail.

As a heavy naval player VI never used to produce naval units but now sometimes does and in spades. Perhaps too much. a GS game I played where Norway was on the same continent he produced 3 longboats on a 3 tile lake and another 6 in the water while I just marched in with some archers and wasted his land.
    At the same time (as Victoria) I had 2 galleys and 2 quads and happily wasted his 6 longboats while he could deep water and I could not.
    On another occasion my galley bumped into 3 longboats while at war with him and they fled!
    A Kongo Frigate Armada with 2 promotions refused to fire at my single frigates and instead moved a few tiles this way and that until they were sunk.
    The only game that the navy put any half baked resistance was when playing Kupe against Phoenicia where they even sunk a galley but despite being outnumbered and outgunned once again it was not even a challenge.

The computations required at sea for possible moves are quite large and I appreciate that but the decision to no attack me is just incorrect.

acluewithout likes this.
  17. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I have different experiences from Victoria in naval to naval combat, but AI naval land support is horrible for all AIs except, strangely, barbs. Perhaps AIs letting their navies loose would actually be a good thing...

If Norway lets its oversized 20 longship navy roam free instead of loitering around its borders, at least its bound to do *some* damage.

Ziad likes this.
  18. racha

racha Chieftain

You've evidently never seen Twister. That's the only scene I remember from the whole movie. :lol:

19. Gloompy

Gloompy Chieftain

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me? Go to the principles office.

20. Victoria

Either I have good principles or you think the principle fancies me but without clarification I am not sure which you mean.