Why did CIV discard Conquest Victory?

fantsu

Prince
Again a game going on where I am absolutely dominating. Just one opponent (Victoria) left. This game has been won 150 turns ago, but it still keeps on going. I am three eras ahead. I have 21 cities, Victoria has 4. Why I have to get her capital on that far away continent to end this? This is domination already, make Conquest different, like present "domination".

CIV 6 need separate Domination and Conquest victories like CIV IV. If I am this far ahead, it should be clear. It would be easy to add in too, I think. And there is always an option to shut it off from victory conditions.

Last edited:
This also begs the question - to finish your game, are you going to just knock out the English capital, or are you going to save it for last? Paint the entire map in your colours, or have a few freckles of foreign origin?

Totally agree - no idea why Civ VI mucked about with the victory condition names (Score instead of Time as well).

Civ 5 started it. Not Civ 6.

Score makes sense, because you don't win just because the Timer run out, you win by having the highest Score. Calling it a Time Victory is kinda a misnomer, since the way to win that is through Score and earning a high Score.

The problem you describe is the universal problem with basically every victory condition.

The main challenge in this game (other than figuring out optimum building-planning, which is mostly solitaire) is almost entirely about overcoming the AI's starting advantage. Once you hit the inflection point, your snowball to victory is all but assured. After that hurdle, the rest is just "how quickly/efficiently" can I do this. It becomes a game of a 1000 choices, none of which really matter.

Youre just got stuck on the wrong end this time. Whose to say next time you dont conquer her one capital city while the other 22 remain and you win the game.

Better to have it as a separate condition, like a tick box. Call it "Simple Domination".

When toggled you only need X amount of capitals, rather than all.

On Standard and below it would make Domination too quick and easy. I see how it can be useful on larger maps.

If it's just you and Vicki that means you took every last of of the AI's other cities, which you didn't need to do. In any case it doesn't matter if you have all but one cap if that Civ can finish another VC.

Civ 5 started it. Not Civ 6.
OK - I played very little Civ V.

Score makes sense, because you don't win just because the Timer run out, you win by having the highest Score. Calling it a Time Victory is kinda a misnomer, since the way to win that is through Score and earning a high Score.
In older versions of the game you got an exponential bonus for finishing quicker so the earlier you finished the higher your score would be for an Empire of the same size etc. Makes total sense, no idea why they dropped it.

We leveraged that in the Civ Fanatics Hall of Fame so that we tracked the highest score as a separate category from a Time victory, as the latter would have very low scores. Totally selfish I know but that's my perspective :lol:

How'd you manage to forget that you'd need London too?

It took kinda long to find her even. I was boxed in between Gilgamesh and Peter with no sea access. Then there was Lautaro who had cities on smaller islands in between, he was a pain to get down.

I'd call Domination (capture all capitals) "Simple Conquest" and add the following:

Complete Conquest: capture every city (this would also trigger simple conquest, but you could disable it or capture the last capital very last)

Domination: own 2/3 of all land tiles and 2/3 world population (like in civ IV)

Score: have twice the score of anyone else (maybe with a minimum score required to avoid early game weirdness)

(Time victory would remain highest score after time runs out)

Top Bottom