Why did these 3 Civ III features get dropped?

Don't forget ranged borbardment - this is how collateral damage should be done. Having to suicide a siege weapon to do collateral damage makes no sense and is totally unrealistic. Instead of armies constantly replacing siege units, I think regular units were replaced much more often since they died much more.

That''s not true at all. Long range bombardment only really came into its own in the late 19th century. Siege weapons were simply 'siege weapons' before that or field support weapons like cannons in the Napoleonic era. Artillery has to be brought into range of the enemies' artillery (to a degree) before they can effectively bombard them. There is no such thing as safe long range bombardment. It seems, though, that siege weapons need to have more of a defensive role.

As far as suiciding siege weapons, back in the medieval era and before siege engines were essentially suicided to gain access to a city (or whatever you were attacking). Same with mortars and the what not when trying to take forts in the romantic era. And artillery guns in WWI. Artillery gun casualty rate in WWII was also pretty high

That being said its only a game and its pretty well balanced. Artillery plays a decent role and isn't overpowered so I think it works fine

It's our own fault they were removed; the devs read the forums here and discovered just how viciously we abused them, so they got removed.

Oh well, removing abuses always makes the game harder and better.

Regarding #2: Late-game, that would be very abusable. Create a settler in 1 turn, then add to city. Repeat. A high-production city would be pumping out settlers continually, and the population of cities would be huge.
Also: In Civ IV, producing a settler doesn't reduce your pop any longer, why should it give you pop?

Well, it costs food... but sacrificing settlers for food? Really? Sounds... like it's full of unfortunate implications!

"I'm not Soylent Green!", LT.

I've started thinking differently about "features I want" and "it would be more realistic if..." ideas: the AI has to be programmed to know how to deal with such features effectively. I've read a lot of comments in these forums about how the AI doesn't know how to do X or Y; adding more would make the game that much easier for players who know the AI's deficiencies.

That''s not true at all. Long range bombardment only really came into its own in the late 19th century. Siege weapons were simply 'siege weapons' before that or field support weapons like cannons in the Napoleonic era. Artillery has to be brought into range of the enemies' artillery (to a degree) before they can effectively bombard them. There is no such thing as safe long range bombardment. It seems, though, that siege weapons need to have more of a defensive role.

As far as suiciding siege weapons, back in the medieval era and before siege engines were essentially suicided to gain access to a city (or whatever you were attacking). Same with mortars and the what not when trying to take forts in the romantic era. And artillery guns in WWI. Artillery gun casualty rate in WWII was also pretty high

That being said its only a game and its pretty well balanced. Artillery plays a decent role and isn't overpowered so I think it works fine

Totally right. The only possible exception is a handful of large trebutchets used for siege, but the average-sized one needed to be set up within the "danger zone" of an enemy's fortification.

The only argument I could see for ranged bombardment is for the Artillery and Mobile Artillery units. And maybe a SMAC-style "if your artillery barrages a tile, artillery in that tile can fire back once to damage you" system. Is it necessary for balance, though? Probably not.

Has anyone considered giving all siege equipment a +25% defense against other siege equipment?

The defenders not having any ranged weapons for counterbattery fire doesn't seem to matter in Civ IV. Unless city defenders are going on sorties every time against ranged weapons, artillery is oddly vulnerable despite firing from a distance and guarded by its own troops.

In the context of besieging a city without any artillery defending, historical artillery casualty rates on the batlefield or from enemy artillery counterfire don't seem relevant. Absent a fluid battlefied or enemy artillery, being in the rear did help WWI artillery units. WW2 gives far fewer examples of sieges but at Stalingrad, for example, historians note the German infantry units were decimated in city combat while their supporting artillery units outside retained their overall numbers - enough that ad hoc infantry replacements were taken from supporting units like artillery.

I think Civ IV might do a lot better with ranged artillery than it does. Right now, artillery is basically infantry with collateral damage capability.

The defenders not having any ranged weapons for counterbattery fire doesn't seem to matter in Civ IV. Unless city defenders are going on sorties every time against ranged weapons, artillery is oddly vulnerable despite firing from a distance and guarded by its own troops.

In the context of besieging a city without any artillery defending, historical artillery casualty rates on the batlefield or from enemy artillery counterfire don't seem relevant. Absent a fluid battlefied or enemy artillery, being in the rear did help WWI artillery units. WW2 gives far fewer examples of sieges but at Stalingrad, for example, historians note the German infantry units were decimated in city combat while their supporting artillery units outside retained their overall numbers - enough that ad hoc infantry replacements were taken from supporting units like artillery.

I think Civ IV might do a lot better with ranged artillery than it does. Right now, artillery is basically infantry with collateral damage capability.

I agree here.

I've been a leader of the 'Civ IV artillery is better than Civ III artillery' club. I agree that it could be done better in Civ IV also, but the notion that Civ III artillery is more 'realistic' just isn't supportable with real life combat. In Civ III, once you built enough artillery you could completely decimate opponents. In 'real life', artillery was the dominant battlefield arm pretty much only during WWI and even then it wsan't as dominant as it is in CIV III. WWI was the perfect conflict for artillery because on the Western front, lines were static and the artillery wasn't easily reached by enemy troops. Once WWII came along (as Jonathea points out), artillery of course was still important but tanks and planes became dominant. Of course, artillery was always important in siege warfare.

The 'problem' with CIV IV artillery isn't artillery per se but the combat system as a whole -- because of the defender advantage of rocks, paper, scissors, SOME mechanism is needed to give attackers a chance.

For example, if you have two spearmen, two swordsmen, two axemen, and two horse archers attacking a similar stack, the attacker would be massacred because the defender always gets the best unit. So artillery was the mechanism used to 'break' the defender. My point is that if you want to fix the 'artillery' system, you can't do it in isolation and you have to fix the whole combat system; but adopting a Civ III system, in my mind, is worse.

Best wishes,

Breunor

The 'problem' with CIV IV artillery isn't artillery per se but the combat system as a whole -- because of the defender advantage of rocks, paper, scissors, SOME mechanism is needed to give attackers a chance.

For example, if you have two spearmen, two swordsmen, two axemen, and two horse archers attacking a similar stack, the attacker would be massacred because the defender always gets the best unit. So artillery was the mechanism used to 'break' the defender. My point is that if you want to fix the 'artillery' system, you can't do it in isolation and you have to fix the whole combat system; but adopting a Civ III system, in my mind, is worse.

Much better-worded/thought out than my post; I agree. :)

True, CivIII artillery is not more realistic in the sense that you can bombard freely without retribution. The only solution to this would be implementing an overall "stack-attack" mechanic like some mods, where stacks do combat as a whole. However, CivIII is MANY TIMES more realistic in the sense that >50% of your army isn't seige weapons. If anything siege is way more dominant in civ4 in my experience, it doesn't even take damage from other seige. The lack of ship bombardment is something that I would also easily like to reinclude in the game. Game Mechanics wise, I also feel that CivIII artillery weaponry was better, it augmented your armies and battles rather than defining and breaking them. (Although I wouldn't include "capture" in civ4, just reduce defense strength of seige weapons.) And I know it could work this way in civ4, even AI-wise, because it already works in a lot of mods, some which even have even more complexity and still are balanced.

@Breunor - here's the problem with your example. If the defender has all those units, and the attack just has two catapults and six axemen, it's a slaughter (in favor of the catas/axes). Siege makes attacking incredibly overpowered; there are very few situations where you want to be the one defending ground, and these are only due to AI quirks (ie. when "defending" you really just want to lure them into a spot where you technically attack). While civIII didn't do great as this either civ4 still pretty much fails at army diversity (and in this case, it's funny that the catas would probably even defend against chariots anyway, further protecting the axes!)

"Once WWII came along (as Jonathea points out), artillery of course was still important but tanks and planes became dominant"

think i read somewhere that most battlefiled casualties were caused by artillary.

-there is no doubt that the programmers struggle with artillary implementation.

True, CivIII artillery is not more realistic in the sense that you can bombard freely without retribution. The only solution to this would be implementing an overall "stack-attack" mechanic like some mods, where stacks do combat as a whole. However, CivIII is MANY TIMES more realistic in the sense that >50% of your army isn't seige weapons. If anything siege is way more dominant in civ4 in my experience, it doesn't even take damage from other seige. The lack of ship bombardment is something that I would also easily like to reinclude in the game. Game Mechanics wise, I also feel that CivIII artillery weaponry was better, it augmented your armies and battles rather than defining and breaking them. (Although I wouldn't include "capture" in civ4, just reduce defense strength of seige weapons.) And I know it could work this way in civ4, even AI-wise, because it already works in a lot of mods, some which even have even more complexity and still are balanced.

@Breunor - here's the problem with your example. If the defender has all those units, and the attack just has two catapults and six axemen, it's a slaughter (in favor of the catas/axes). Siege makes attacking incredibly overpowered; there are very few situations where you want to be the one defending ground, and these are only due to AI quirks (ie. when "defending" you really just want to lure them into a spot where you technically attack). While civIII didn't do great as this either civ4 still pretty much fails at army diversity (and in this case, it's funny that the catas would probably even defend against chariots anyway, further protecting the axes!)

I don't disagree with you here although I'm not sure about the proportions of the weapons. I'm never anywhere close to 50% artillery in CIV IV; of course everyone has a different way of playing. By the end of my Civ III games, I think I had more artillery than I did in Civ IV, probably because my artillery didn't die. But I do agree that the 'artillery' system is out of whack; 'fixing' the issue of rock-paper-scissors with artillery may not be the best solution.

But having Civ IV switch to a CIV III system isn't any better, in my opinion it is probably a little worse. Here, the defending stack again would be taken to large losses, but without any losses from the attacking artillery. In CIV III the even bigger problem was that the AI didn't know how to use the artillery (which it can in Civ IV) which may be impacting my view. I know because I had artillery in CIV III I could pretty easily win on Deity, it just became too easy. Civ IV is a lot harder for a lot of reasons, and CIV IV artillery IS overpowered and decisive, but I think it isn't as bad as Civ III!

In some ways it is 'pick your poison'. In CIV III, once I had my artillery stack I won the game. The CIV III AI doesn't know how to use it so I always won decisively. In CIV IV, since AI understands artillery, the battle is won by the guy who hits the other guy first! I guess CIV IV is better; at least it is a fight!

But in my view, probably the biggest advantage of overpowered CIV IV artillery over overpowered Civ III artillery is that CIV IV artillery can work from an economy of force standpoint. The artillery dies to get the advantage -- this is costly. So, from a wartime economy standpoint, there are consequences from the use of the powerful weapon. In CIV III, as I said, once I built them, I won. In CIV IV, they are powerful, but at least you have to pay.

I don't have a problem if someone says that they think CIV III artillery is better, although I happen to not agree (in this case I strongly disagree). What gets me upset is when people say CIV III artillery is better because it is MORE REALISTIC, which drives me crazy! Neither system is very 'realistic' anyway, it is like saying that you are comparing Lord of the Rings to Star Wars on realism and arguing whether the power of the ring is more realistic than the force.

And my key point is that there is no such thing as a 'fix' to the CIV IV artillery system taken in isolation, from a game standpoint, you have to figure out how any change will affect the entire offense/defense equation.

@Troytheface,

I agree that in WWII, artillery did indeed inflict the most casualties; but nonetheless, it was still a support and not a decisive weapon. The vast majority of decisive victories occurred through mobility and encirclement. For instance, the Fall of France actually had relatively few casualties but France was totally defeated, mostly through mobile troops that surrounded the French forces. At the beginning of the war, both the Soviet army and the US army doctrine emphasized the offensive use of artillery; by the end of the war, both countries adopted a mobile warfare doctrine. Even the Soviets, the leading users of artillery since the 18th century, viewed their tanks and their aircraft as their key. Look at the production of tanks and aircraft by the end of the war and you can see the emphasis they received. Stalingrad was a victory of tanks, not of artillery. Once Paulus was trapped, the artillery inflicted more casualties -- but it was the Zhukhov's T-34's that surrounded them and then the infantry came in to hold them.

I suspect you will find few military historians who viewed that army strengths had more to do with artillery than with armor and (especially at the end of the war) airpower.

However, an interesting fact is that artillery revived in the Korean War. A famous letter of Mao's complained of the American advantage in artillery. Once again, artillery was a key because the Chinese/UN forces were arrayed in relatively static positions.

In modern times, air power is a dominant element - I don't know if artillery will ever replace the overwhelming power of aircraft and helicopters now, and armor is still prominent.

Note that Fall From Heaven II indeed keeps the weapons advantages from CIV IV without the overpowered artillery, so it can be done. But FfH II is an extraordinary mod.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Back to #2: CIV is only a game of course, but not being able to trade food is strange - In fact, farming in modern terms would never been invented without such a trade. Neither would large cities excist - how much food does N.Y. City produce? which creates further problem regarding the settler issue in the concept of migration - no migration - No USA as it looks today. Neither of these, and no Indusrial revolution what so ever - that'd be a strange world.

How about allowing to trade surplus food from one city to another and how about bringing back settler for migration but increase settler cost, or rather create a "Migration Unit" later in the game but with a higher cost than a settler, paid by surplus food solely for example?

@ JohnathanStrange, Breunor

I wasn't saying that artillery troops lost more men than infantry in either war by any means, I'm just saying they weren't in some ivory tower battlefield position where they were untouchable.

Now as far as Civ IV artillery balance goes, I pretty sure no warfare in Civ IV is reflective of the units being used, and that the units themselves are just a gross oversimplification of their eras. However, Civ is not a tedious historical simulator. Its not the purpose of the game.

It might be nice if we had features like supply lines (affecting max stack size, performance, healing rates and many other things, etc), stacks attacking together instead of one unit along with some form of in field air support and in field artillery support. This would require operational balance and if your army was lacking in any major area it could be in for a major losses.

Point is many, many, many more things could be done to make the game a more accurate simulator of warfare but this isn't the point of Civ IV because many, many more things could be done in any area that could make it more accurate but the game would become tediously unplayable.

Its not solely a game of warfare as represented by the many victory conditions possible.

(though I would really like some form of all stacks attacking together with maybe GG adding to the whole stack's abilities but stacks suffering some kind of balance of supply lines that limited 'dogpiling' exploits)

I'm sure there are a few/severeal mods out there seeking the refinement of warfare. I know wolfshanze has done a good job and there is a combo mod involving his and others (excuse me if I don't have links)

"Once WWII came along (as Jonathea points out), artillery of course was still important but tanks and planes became dominant"

think i read somewhere that most battlefiled casualties were caused by artillary.

Having some personal experience with this - I would far rather be shot at than have artillery come anywhere close to me.

It should also be noted that artillery has evolved and become more specialized in recent years - they have several different types of shells that they can use depending on the situation to achieve the desired result (total destruction of the enemy). ie, one type for armored units, one type for infantry in the open, airburst shells, white phosphorus (NASTY!), what have you.

Artillery remains to this day a very important part of warfare. Just because the you only hear about the spec ops, airborne, air force, whatever on TV doesn't mean that arty has somehow become an obsolete specialty. Artillery is far and away the single fastest method of getting immediate help when the sharp end of the stick is in your face.

Civ 4's balance would be good if we built units in roughly the same way modern military uses it. 3 brigades of inf/armor + 1 bde arty per division. But, we tend to abuse it, so it comes out imbalanced.

Yes, arty does cause an absolutely horrifying amount of damage when used properly, so, I agree with Troy's statement...

Scott

@ JohnathanStrange, Breunor

I wasn't saying that artillery troops lost more men than infantry in either war by any means, I'm just saying they weren't in some ivory tower battlefield position where they were untouchable.

Based on some of what I know about history (few examples) - siege units were often the most protected units in the army throughout much of history. Oftentimes only other siege units, suicide attacks, or infiltration could take them out.

From the Civil War to WW I, artillery was an absolute beast, but did not have an excessive range, thus forced to fight near the front lines and occasionally captured/killed. It was a truly stupid infantry commander that left his arty unprotected and left out to dry.

With the advent of bombers in WW II, arty has taken somewhat of a backseat, but today arty has a max range of something like 30 km. That's 15 miles or more away from the front lines.

To summarize, siege units - from the catapult to the present - have always been an extremely valuable, well-protected asset that commanders took great pains to deny the enemy any chance of destroying.

No doubt this was taken into account by the developers when they designed the combat resolution process in Civ IV.

(Sorry - got carried away)

Scott

@Foamy
specialized artillery gun shells now can reach upwards of sixty kilometers (rocket propelled shells) and while many have predicted the missile as out dating artillery they have been entirely wrong. The same tech that has made missiles effective (computer chips, composites, better explosives, rocket engines etc) have also made artillery exponentially more powerful. The Accuracy and specialization of munitions has only led to howitzers becoming more versatile and deadly.

Your right that while everyone lauds air warfare, EVERY SINGLE WAR since WWI the most casualties have been caused by howitzers and mortars (In WWII the most eastern front casualties were artillery, the west- mortars). This includes air warfare (now I think this holds true for Vietnam as well but don't quote me on that one. I know it holds true for the Gulf Wars though). The fact will remain for a long time that massed and mobile artillery will be the most deadly force on the battlefield because shells are a lot cheaper than bombs and missiles while howitzers are cheaper than planes.

However, this doesn't change the fact that while Big guns etc were very well defended they were also the 'Capital Ships' of the battlefield with most major offensive, air sorties, and defensive maneuvers targeting them. Plus German artillery, for example, played multiple roles- tank destroyers, infantry support and bombardment all in one package. (The tank destroyer class of vehicle for the Germans was one of the singly most effective cost to performance weapons of all time). The point is that the Germans and Russians both lost a lot of Big guns in the war. Not because they weren't the best weapons on the field but because they were.

[QUOTE/] To summarize, siege units - from the catapult to the present - have always been an extremely valuable, well-protected asset that commanders took great pains to deny the enemy any chance of destroying.
[/QUOTE]

Now while you're pretty much right about the era of the cannon, field artillery prior to refined gunpowder weapons really didn't exist in the Napoleonic sense that it did with the cannon. (BY the Napoleonic sense I mean the really effective use of cannons in controlling the outcome of a field battle via concentrated fire ala Frederick the Great)

Siege weapons prior to this were used either to break up a formation here or there, scare the enemy or take a city (they became really effective at taking down fortifications).

That scene from Gladiator when they are battling the Germans? about as effective as field artillery ever got before cannons and Freddy (and perhaps John Churchill, but he was more of a siege master)

Top Bottom