1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do I Always Lose Money???

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Eddie_420, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Eddie_420

Eddie_420 Chieftain

ok im the americans and i start out fine, learning diff techs, building cities,etc. i have science rate at 50% and luxury rate at 0% ill always start out making 8-9 gold per turn then all of a sudden i start losing 9-10 gold per turn after a few thousand years. i lower the science rate until it gets to where even at 10% im still losing money. then when i switch governments to either republic or monarchy im still losing money til my treasury is gone. im kinda new at this game and i need some help.

2. Dr Tiny

Dr Tiny Chieftain

do you have a massive military eating up the treasury?

have you built marketplaces in cities making 2 or more coins? marketplaces increase income by 50% in that city so no need to make them in cities making 1 coin as you wont see a benefit and itr will simply cost you cash.

Do you have big cities working lots of tiles and therefore more income?

Are you keeping people happy with clowns and hence removing someone from the workplace...build happiness improvements if you can.

Are you still in despotism?

Have you built roads on the tiles being worked by a cities population?

Hold off building every improvement in every city, each will cost you and it may or may not be helping you.

3. Kute

Kute Gaian

My first guess would be a huge corruption (look at your city screen for red shields/coins), second guess would be you build too fast, i.e. your building upkeep is far too hight for a self sustaining city, and third your military is eating your income away.

for corruption: well, i there isn't many ways, you need a forbidden palace. just look at the stickies in this forum they will give you where to place it best.

for upkeep: Go on each of your city screen and look at the buildings you've built. Click on one you will have the option to sell it, once again search for the red gold peice, it's the upkeep. First trash every but one Barracks (unless you are/or will be at war). Second to sell is the granaries, once a town reach 7 population the granary is emptied, so sell them as soon as a town is reaching pop 6, and for every limited town (aka pop 6 wi/o aqueduc, 12 w/o hospital pay a close look to every single one of your town.

for the army: take a peek at your military advisor and look if you have obsolete units, if you don't want a war there is no point in having too much unit, it's best to foreplan going into war with a healthy economy. Always destroy units in a town they will add shields (production units) to their building queues. Look at how much settlers/workers are iddles and add them to healthy town asap, you will be able to produce more at need.

*And double check every single worked upon tile is being connected by a road, a road is a +1 gold, same for a river bordered tiles so road+river = 2gp/turn.

*if you are scientifically ahead of the AIs try to sell some tech for gold/turn deals, same for luxuries. Be very carefull who you trade strategic ressources to, you will not like to get your own uranium in your face.:nuke:

I can't help you more with the info you provided. Hold on, you will balance your treasury in the end. :)

edited to format my text.

4. JustBen

JustBen Chieftain

If you post a save or two (there's an "Upload File" option at the very bottom of the page when you hit "Post Reply"; then just paste the link into your message), we'd be happy to give more specific advice, too.

5. Eddie_420

Eddie_420 Chieftain

you mean the file of the game??

6. JustBen

JustBen Chieftain

Yes, that's what I mean. One of your *.sav files.

7. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Chieftain

Eddie_420,

If you're new and haven't done so yet, try playing the Tutuorial from the main menu.

I'm guessing the problem you're running into is unit support which is affected by your government type and how many units you have. In the starting government, despotism, each town you build supports 4 units for free. After that you have to pay 1 gold per turn for each unit. So if you have 5 towns and 30 units (military, workers, settlers) you get 5x4=20 free units and pay 30-20=10 gold per tun to support the rest. When you switch to Republic or Democracy you usually earn more income but there is no free unit support so you'd have to pay 30 gold per turn to support the same 30 units.

Another possible problem is that you're building too many city improvements that cost money but don't benefit you. As mentioned in a previous post, if you build a Marketplace in a town making 1 gold per turn then you're losing money building the Marketplace. Barracks, granaries, libraries and such are useful but cost money and need to be used intelligently.

Another possible problem is corruption. If your towns aren't within 3-5 tiles of your first town then you start losing more and more money (and shields) to corruption. The ideal low-corruption situation is to make a ring of cities around your first (palace) town. The worst situation is to build cities out in a long straight line. After you build a number of cities you can build the Forbidden Palace to help lower your corruption and basically have a second palace like your first city.

It's complex, but playing this game is a learning process. You won't soak it all up at once.

8. apparition

apparition Chieftain

go for the wonders like adam smith's trading company as you get free upkeep on many improvments.

Build market places, banks and stock exchanges (these along with harbours, airports and docks have free upkeep with the adam smith wonder)

Once you have enough stock exchanges you can build Wall Street which gives you up to 50 gold per turn.

On lower difficulty levels, keep your science up so you can reach economice first and get a headshart building the Adam Smith wonder.