Why do I see so much hate on Justin Bieber

Aleenik

Deity
Note: I'm things I've seen on the internet, not this site specifically.

I don't like his music. I don't hate him personally though so I don't go around calling him a girl, saying he needs to die, or things like that. I wonder if so much hate is directed towards him because people are jealous of how popular he is at a young age? Really, I don't see the reasoning behind the Justin Bieber hate.

Because she is untalented and unattractive, simply a product being forced down our throats by the corporate machine saying look at this amazing new thing thats just like the old thing which got too old.

She is not the actual cause of the anger/disgust so much as the current sign of it until Disney/Sony etc... choose a new person who will also be the same talentless hack they make people like through media bombardment campaigns.

He isn't the worst. The best we can hope for is that he ends up being a real musician and doesn't turn into a train wreck like alot of other teen idols.

Because she is untalented and unattractive, simply a product being forced down our throats by the corporate machine saying look at this amazing new thing thats just like the old thing which got too old.

She is not the actual cause of the anger/disgust so much as the current sign of it until Disney/Sony etc... choose a new person who will also be the same talentless hack they make people like through media bombardment campaigns.

That. He was guest starring on children's T.V. shows before anyone had heard his music. As a summer job I work at on online business that sells media, you wouldn't believe the number of magazines made up to sell his face many of which are simply 5 posters of him stapled into a cover for a quick buck.

It gets irksome.

Cos he has done more lines of coke and hookers than me, an all before even hitting puberty! That and he is simply a capitalist toy, there is nothing real about him.

they are jealous of the amount of ***** this guy gets.

I have more apathy for him than my pet rock.

Because internet people are bitter, jaded nerds who feel obliged to rant and rave about anything which they perceive as being unacceptably popular, their heavily-policed collective agreement demonstrating their rugged individuality. Bieber is just the latest target.

Also, because he is overly feminine- or, more precisely, insufficiently masculine- for nerds, who are, as a group, both misogynistic and homophobic.

[/cynicism]

Plus he is barely a year younger than me yet his voice sounds like a sopranos. (Or a castrati:p)
Was that last comment to mean?

Because internet people are bitter, jaded nerds who feel obliged to rant and rave about anything which they perceive as being unacceptably popular, their heavily-policed collective agreement demonstrating their rugged individuality. Bieber is just the latest target.

Also, because he is overly feminine- or, more precisely, insufficiently masculine- for nerds, who are, as a group, both misogynistic and homophobic.

[/cynicism]

I take this post as being purposefully over the top, but I would disagree and make some arguments. In my experience his fans have included "nerds" to rather normal percentage. The misogynistic comment seems a bit odd, but the homophobic angle is more baffling, because if anything more gay and bisexual people are opposed to him.

Mind you this is simply based on personal observations on the internet, but that seemed to be your general point anyway.

No. His voice will crack, he'll go the way of Aaron Carter, and then all the teeny-boppers will be done with him and onto the next music industry cash cow that's targeted towards that group.

Besides the voice and the longish hair, is there any other story behind him being referred to as feminine?

I take this post as being purposefully over the top, but I would disagree and make some arguments. In my experience his fans have included "nerds" to rather normal percentage. The misogynistic comment seems a bit odd, but the homophobic angle is more baffling, because if anything more gay and bisexual people are opposed to him.
Yes, it was exaggerated, but my point- under the layers of sneering and cynicism- isn't altogether off. There's a tendency in nerd culture to disdain anything seen as inappropriately popular- Lady Gaga, emo, Twilight, whatever- which, coupled with the same obsessive gender-policing that is found in any male-dominated subculture (how many insults revolve around perceived effeminate or homosexual behaviour?), marks Bieber out as an obvious target.

This 1000 times.

He's an easy target. It's not that he is the absolute worst artist ever, and it's not that he is the most popular artist ever (I hadn't heard of him until I heard people hated him); it's that he is bad enough and popular enough for people who are bitter at the free market as it pertains to music to latch on to, which, compounded with the fact that he is an easy target, makes them feel secure enough to go after him.

[/cynicism]

actually it might be better to say nerds trash him in an attempt to make themselves look more masculine. Most nerds tend to be feminine like this guy, so by trashing him they can show that they really aren't feminine even though they are. Kind of like some closet gays trash gays even when they are gay themselves. Some of it might be a self hate thing too. I'm not accusing anyone here of this, it's just a theory I'm floating around.

Yes, it was exaggerated, but my point- under the layers of sneering and cynicism- isn't altogether off. There's a tendency in nerd culture to disdain anything seen as inappropriately popular- Lady Gaga, emo, Twilight, whatever- which, coupled with the same obsessive gender-policing that is found in any male-dominated subculture (how many insults revolve around perceived effeminate or homosexual behaviour?), marks Bieber out as an obvious target.

I think another reason for the hate is guys are jealous (alluded to in my first post in this thread) that girls will fall for a guy like this, and not themselves. Even though guys don't really like girls into that kind of superficiality, they still want those girls to find them attractive, not guys like Beiber. In reality we want girls to fawn over us nerds. But it will never happen.

[/cynicism]

well, this plus:

the more aged of us are really tired of this disney-esque hype of teens. I know sponsors and advertising people love to target that crowd but those of us well beyond that age just get the twitches.

my half-sis is 10 this year (my dad is 70+. don't ask) and she goes bonkers for miley cyrus. it bothers me. then I started to think about why it bothers me. I guess it is mostly because it is just so common. you are 10-ish. you are supposed to like M Cyrus. and she does. it is just so darn boring. listen to The Cult, please.... or even go nuts for Scooter or something. anything that isn't tailored to you.

of course everything I say against it just makes her defend it even more. perfectly fine, that is the way it works.

I hate it because it is obvious and because it works so flawlessly.

actually it might be better to say nerds trash him in an attempt to make themselves look more masculine. Most nerds tend to be feminine like this guy, so by trashing him they can show that they really aren't feminine even though they are. Kind of like some closet gays trash gays even when they are gay themselves. Some of it might be a self hate thing too. I'm not accusing anyone here of this, it's just a theory I'm floating around.
Well, the whole "closeted homophobe" thing is a bit of a myth, and it wouldn't really explain the scale of hatred, especially given the incorporeal environment in question. I'd also question whether nerds are "feminine"; their status is that of a beta male, not hypermasculine, but not discernibly feminine. The conflation of non-hypermale and female is part of an ancient in-group/out-group dynamic constructed by and for alpha males, which asserts the supremacy of a minority of men- "manly men", as it were- creating a stricter and more robust gender construct than sexual determinism alone is capable of providing, as well as creating competition among men for in-group status and averting the possibility of men challenging the binary (as "effeminate" males like Bieber are percieved as doing).
However, you're certainly correct that attack effeminate men is used as a way to assert or reaffirm masculinity, but it is, in itself, an attempt to place oneself in the in-group, or two redefine the in-group so that one is included- while many treat geek culture as an aversion of traditional masculinity, some treat it as a redefinition of masculinity (particularly in North America, where anti-intellectualism is more prominent, and a greater part of masculine identity). This is where the homophobia and misogyny come into play- they are one of the methods by which in-group status is asserted (did you ever notice the popularity of the "gay jock" trope in recent years?) and, requiring little actual commitment to "masculine" action, the easiest and most instantly reassuring, and so the most popular among a particular kind of beta male.

I think another reason for the hate is guys are jealous (alluded to in my first post in this thread) that girls will fall for a guy like this, and not themselves. Even though guys don't really like girls into that kind of superficiality, they still want those girls to find them attractive, not guys like Beiber. In reality we want girls to fawn over us nerds. But it will never happen.
That's also a fair point- beta males have enough trouble dealing with the fact that alpha males traditionally get "first dibs" on women, so to see a male who is, by traditional standards, even lower on the scale being more popular is bound to incite a few. There's a lot of "Nice Guys" out there, and they can be quite bitter.

well, this plus:

the more aged of us are really tired of this disney-esque hype of teens. I know sponsors and advertising people love to target that crowd but those of us well beyond that age just get the twitches.

my half-sis is 10 this year (my dad is 70+. don't ask) and she goes bonkers for miley cyrus. it bothers me. then I started to think about why it bothers me. I guess it is mostly because it is just so common. you are 10-ish. you are supposed to like M Cyrus. and she does. it is just so darn boring. listen to The Cult, please.... or even go nuts for Scooter or something. anything that isn't tailored to you.

of course everything I say against it just makes her defend it even more. perfectly fine, that is the way it works.

I hate it because it is obvious and because it works so flawlessly.

Oh, I didn't say he wasn't the worthless spawn of a stagnant, homogeneous culture, I just think that the misogynistic/homophobic thing goes some way to explaining why he gets so much more flak than the three dozen alternatives. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift are regarded as vapid and worthless, but it's a feminine vapidity that is expected and tolerated, while Bieber's supposedly effeminate behaviour is easy prey for the insecure beta male.

dunno. I never attacked Bieber for having a funny do (I hope). you are supposed to have a funny hairdo when you are young. still remember my dad's face when I had my funny do.

I guess I just resent the premise of J Bieber being resented is due to his being effiminate or what is called effiminate. that is just making assumptions. just like you are assuming that (and, pray, I am exaggerating and twisting what you said here) it is okay to be a female artist as long as you adhere to male hetersoxual stereotypes.

I danced to "You Spin me Round (like a record)" and I danced to Bruce Springsteen when I was a teen. we liked Kajagoogoo and Duran Duran. we liked Yazoo and ABC. we liked Morrissey and A-Ha. did we care about their sexuality? no. mostly because we did not know that there was another kind than the "regular" one. if you had told us back then that Frankie Goes to Hollywood was partially gay we would have had no idea what that meant. we liked Wham! at no point did sexuality enter into the equasion.

you have not seen effiminate unless you have seen the 70s and 80s.

there is the possibility of people attacking J Bieber due to the juggernaut that pushes him, people just not liking his music and other stuff. just saying.... it ain't all homophobia and it ain't all of us sitting around in a room smoking cigars deciding which of the weird ones to cap next.

though, please do not be alarmed when you hear the doorbell ringing just now.

Top Bottom