1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do my catapults constantly miss?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Evaporater, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Evaporater

Evaporater Chieftain

I had 3 catapults consecutively bombard a Russian city for the last ~15 turns, and ALL shots missed. WHY??!!!! :mad:

2. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit Chieftain

Because, the catapult attacks like one round of an Immortal attack (value 4), but it has only 50% (I think) chance of targeting a unit in the city (with all its defensive bonuses) and 25/25 chance of targeting an Improvement/Citizen. Improvements and Citizens have a base 16 defense plus any city bonuses, so you don't need a combat calculator to see there is little chance of a catapult affecting either.

If the catapult DOES attack the unit in the city, well a fortified spearman in a walled town has a coin flips chance of winning too.

The secret with artillery is you need LOTS of them.

3. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

yeah, Tacit's right, if you decide to actually have catapults then you need to make sure you have ALOT. having 2 or 3 won't do, you'll need loads, I'm talking 20 - 30+ here. in my current Chinese game I had about 35 which I then lost when Seoul flipped back but up till that point those catapults were following my pikeman/med inf SoD around and it just couldn't be touched

4. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

With an attack factor of only 4, a catapult is better used for defending your own cities or for attacking units in the open as they approach your lands. Of course, you will want to make sure they are defended by spearmen or pikemen. Its a good idea to start building range attack units early with an eye towards upgrading them as the game goes along. If you can amass 25 or 30, thats great, but personally I dont think its worth it or all that realistic. Besides, they can only travel one square per turn inside enemy territory.

5. Phil77

Phil77 Chieftain

I never build catapults, I just use the ones I capture from the enemy.

6. apparition

apparition Chieftain

Could this be the reason why bombarding with ships can be so bloody fustrating also?

7. steviejay

steviejay Now in Black and White!!

if you read alot of the strategy articles (one from Bamspeed sticks in my head...... at least I think it was Bamspeed) he had no supply of saltpeter so he had to invade the enemy using Pikes and Catapults, he done rather well. don't knock the catapult

8. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

With all artillery you must use them in quantity. 4-6 catapults/canons/artillery are the minimum I take with me to battle.

Another great use for catapults is to disband them in low production cities to help creat a library or marketplace.

9. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Well, it's not exactly a strategy article, more of a recap of a game in progress. It's the 'Beyond Sid' link in my signature.

Yes, I had to use catapults and pikemen against musketmen and longbowmen to capture some saltpeter on a level that is way harder than deity.

With 50-100+ catapults/cannons/artillery, then nothing will stop you.

10. Trev

Trev Chieftain

In all games I play I build lots of artillery and later bombers, up to 100+ sometimes, more in games where technologically I lag or have not got a necessary resource like rubber. Depending on how the military situation develops in a game, my first bombard units may be catapults, which I will use both defensively against attacking armies ( quite effective at this ) or offensively to conquer cities ---- need minimum of 20 catapults to achieve anything worthwhile though, but the use of catapults in large numbers will greatly assist in capturing cities while minimizing the losses of offensive units, thereby over a period of warfare getting more unit promotions and possibly GL's. As units like catapults require a relatively low number of production shields, I will often put my fringe, heavily corrupted cities onto this task, avoiding the need for barracks in these cities and still allowing them to contribute effectively to the war effort

11. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Once I discovered how good artillery was, I started to build cannons and catapults asap in my next game. Obviously, I was disappointed that they didn't work just as well.

I still am.

*sniff*

12. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

13. Bad Brett

Bad Brett Chieftain

Well, I'd rather take 40 swordmen than 60 catapults...

14. Dutchgael

Dutchgael Chieftain

In some Always War games I did (variant without even first turn negotiations) border town catapults were very good in repelling AI units. The AI has the habit of retreating every damaged unit out of your culture area to heal it.
    Also useful to redline the victims for your elite GL generators.

15. Trev

Trev Chieftain

40 catapults with 15 swordsmen will do more damage than 40 swordsmen and with no swordsmen losses, you will get more elite swordsmen and more GL's, a 2 to 1 ratio of bombard units to attacking units is great for generating GL's

16. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

As time goes on you'll get better units that are capable of hitting much more ofter, like my fav the radar artillery.

17. downwithgravity

downwithgravity Zen Rocker

in essence, it's because catapults are terrible. the only real use i've found for them is so i can later upgrade them to something with better bombard, such as cannons, or now, trebuchets :)

18. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator