1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do my watches/emails go away?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by GinandTonic, Feb 19, 2021.

1. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Whats the deal with watches/ subscriptions timing out?

2. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

That seems like a question for Site Feedback, doesn't it?

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

You have to keep checking back after each notification (I assume you get email notifications of new posts and new threads?). You only get new ones after that if you actually visit the forum.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  4. r16

r16 not deity

watching thread A ? You log in , check Alerts with the red(?) numbers , you did not click on everything related to thread A . lt is dead . Say , it is an offtopic discussion and next week you saw thread A and opened it from the off-topic page itself . Next time you log in , thread A will be on the Alerts page again , if there has been anything new since then .

5. GinandTonic

Just the alerts in the top right. Most of the threads I'm marked as watching do not generate alerts.

Does this happen to anyone else?

6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Yup.

GinandTonic likes this.
  7. GinandTonic

Cool. Not just me then.

8. Sofista

Sofista Emperor

I too stopped having email warnings at one point. I'm pretty sure I didn't alter any setting.

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

I've found that you lose your alerts if you don't visit the thread that has been alerted to you.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. Valka D'Ur

Just click on the "show all..." link at the bottom left of your Alerts and it will show you your most recent 5 pages' worth. Depending on how many you received (likes, quotes, replies to threads, moderator actions pertaining to your posts such as moving or deleting, new threads), there may be several days' worth there that you can go back to and find the post(s) you're interested in.

There was a time, years ago, when we stopped getting all email notifications. This went on for approximately 18 months or more, and as I recall, there were MANY complaints in Site Feedback.

If you've enabled email notifications, the posts and PMs you receive are the original versions, not any later edited versions. That's why it can be confusing sometimes to go looking for a post and discover it missing, as it was deleted for some reason.

At this point my suggestion would be to take this to Site Feedback (perhaps @Lemon Merchant might move the relevant posts there?), in case an admin might have more information.

11. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Posts moved by request.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You know, this started as a post on another thread in another subforum and I've only now seen that it's moved because I haven't been notified of the move nor subscribed to the new thread which it created.

13. Valka D'Ur

Not sure if redirects are a XenForo thing, as I don't recall ever seeing them used here. If they are available, they should be used.

The actual topic was better suited for Site Feedback, so I suggested it be moved.