Why do people believe "all mean are equal" bull<snip> theories?

muxec

Prince
I can't stop wondering why so many people believe in "All men are equal" theory which is completely unsound. You don't need research to understand why it is wrong, just look around.

Guys, why do you believe in such weird things?

Moderator Action: Watch your language, please.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

We hold these truths to be painfully self-evident
All men are not created equal
Only the strong will prosper
Only the strong will conquer
Only in the darkness of Christ have I realized

God Hates Us All

All men are equal under the law, and they should be. Obviously they arent equal in any other way, mental, somatic, monetary etc.

Obviously not. Different men live in different places under different laws.

And even if we speak about local law those enforcing the law are mere human beings who can and will discriminate, consciously or otherwise.

I can't stop wondering why so many people believe in "All men are equal" theory which is completely unsound. You don't need research to understand why it is wrong, just look around.

You prefer privilege?

And even if we speak about local law those enforcing the law are mere human beings who can and will discriminate, consciously or otherwise.

And in some of those places, people don't believe or enforce the concept of equality under the law.

This is like wondering why we consider evil things bad, and people still do bad things? :dunno:
In theory, treating people equally under the law is seen as just/fair, but you can't separate the human element I guess?

Under normal law nothing will happen to you cause of your spelling mistake but because its you, you shall be shot on site.

It's not a law of physics, it's an ideal to strive for...

What a bizarre argument...

We do recognize mental handicaps in the legal system though... as well as other things that seem to imply an inequality in society that needs to be compensated for (affirmative action).

So the law does treat nutjobs and loons a little different than us normal folk.
Children and minors are also not recognized as equals under the law.

so i suppose i should just stop believing "you shall not murder" because people murder other people amirite

By your logic above every law is "unsound" because there's always someone breaking it.

Reality needs not match laws, or "theories", exactly. In fact not even scientific theories are held to be exact descriptions of reality to the best of our knowledge, instead they are convenient descriptions of reality for our use. Not so different from the way social laws work.

Absolutely. I have been thinking of asking this same question here for months. :)

Not even twins living in the same abode are equal. Much less all of mankind. It's such an absurd concept it's :lol::lol::lol:!

And as for being equal under the law that's wrong on so many levels. Wealth, power, influence are just some of the factors that come into play. Thanks for the thread.:D

Not many people believe all men are equal in all respects. Most people in free countries beleive that the law should treat all men equally. Everyone has equal rights and equal freedoms.

Excellent as always, JR

ontopic, what traitorfish and Kyriakos said.

No they don't. Everyone has the right to vote, right to drink, right to bear arms, freedom from random searches?

Due process?

Top Bottom