1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people hate this game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lordsurya08, Oct 22, 2010.

1. troytheface

troytheface Deity

double pst delete

2. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I second that. And it's not only the AI's ability to wage war that needs fixing; the diplomacy (whch can be such fun, not to mention add some very needed excitement to the game) was quite clearly left in an unfinished state when the game was rushed into production. And I do believe it was rushed out prematurely.

And there are all kinds of minor things they forgot to deal with. One example is the game's moronic insistence that a workboat is a miliytary unit and can't exist on the same tile as a military uni. If you have a vessel guarding a sea resource, you have to move it to enable the workboat to enter the tile and settle there. Idiotic.

3. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Civ V is a massiv Joke

It's like civ 1 with Dx graphics

The features are very poor, Science tree is the smallest ever, AI should be called Artificial Stupidity, ridiculous number of units.
    Nothing happen in this game. It's just borring. No religions, No spying, No environment issues, No politics, No corporations, No challenge. Nothing at all to make you passionnate

Above all, the game is sold unfinished. Crazy Bugs...

Civ V is now uninstalled from my computer.

Does this new version is made to kill Civilization ?

4. Celsus

Celsus Chieftain

Can't say I hate it, just that it's just boring because most things either don't feel worth doing (i.e. too grindy - i.e. culture or any non-domination victory) or are underwhelmingly unchallenging (poor AI at the root of this).

When I read the hype for Civ 5 naturally I expected it to overlay the wonderful world of Civ4. Yeah it was supposed to be slightly simplified and streamlined, but I never expected it to go to this extent where there just isn't much to do per turn (unless you're fighting a war). I certainly had the impression the streamlining/simplifying was at the UI level rather than at the core gameplay level. Combine that with slow turn times in late game and I just find myself tabbing out to other things rather than actually feeling that "one-more-turn" syndrome that I had in all other Civ games. The discovery (in the last week) of even easier cheesier methods of winning (ICS particularly) just took all remaining joy of experimenting in this game for me.

Nor was there the thrill of the competition - oh sure the first time I got attacked in Civ5 it was all thrilling and stuff, but then watching them throw their horsemen onto your pikes, forgetting to withdraw wounded units, wandering workers or archers unguarded, ceding their entire civilization to you after you kill their first wave... it all became too predictable and combat - the one thing that was initially fun and you can see they put a lot of work into - became stale and unrewarding (too easy regardless of difficulty level, which only affects how many they throw at you).

Anyway, I'm back to playing Civ4 atm, sadly, because I did really like the ideas on paper (or preview) of hexes, 1UPT, ranged units, culture+social policies (if they didn't replace civics completely), etc

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Chieftain

Welcome to Civfanatics, lordsurya08!

You should try and play Civ4 (even without any expansion) to feel the difference.

IMO, the Civ franchise's evolution is like the creation of one of that Renaissance sculptures by a succession of various great artists. Over the years, each one of them carefully worked on every little detail, perfecting the great work of their predecessors. Then, comes the last "artist" and destroys the sculpture, trying to create something "different".

Great post (the highlights are mine). :goodjob:

6. Namel

Namel Chieftain

Few things I like in Civ V.

-Hexes
    -One unit/hex
    -Empire wide happiness
    -Upkeep cost for roads
    -Upkeep for buildings so I have to think what to build
    -Reduced bloat in tech tree. It has got longer and longer, time to cut it down and start adding again.
    -Removal of slider, it was horrible feature that should have been gone long time ago.
    -Weaker wonders, no more almost mandatory wonders.
    -Removal of religions. They never were implemented well so good they got rid of it. Same for Espionage.

7. drhirsch

drhirsch Warlord

I hate it because it is boring (for me).

8. moscaverde

moscaverde Prince

-My problem with Civ 5 is not the AI or the bugs (these will be fixed eventually), but with the design concept. The game feel boardgamish (euro) and a retrocess. I particularly dislike the new economic system and the simplistic buildings (with much less integration or possible strategies). The game also few much more restrict in the way to be played (no more sandbox, rpg feel or even that the player is controlling an empire).
    -The game now is much more about the winning (as the strategy for it must be though much earlier in the game) and not about the journey (like the AIs with the winning mentality versus empire leaders etc).
    -I dislike also the new combat and 1upt (stacks are bad but this solutions is bad too).

The game have some good things too, but there are threads for that.

9. d4everman

d4everman Chieftain

I bolded that part of Psyringe's quote because that is very true. I posted awhile back with complaints about the AI and got the canned "up the difficulty" and "The AI plays to win" responses. The AI does not play to win, it is not even good enough to play in its own self interest. Its been made to simply stop you from winning. There is no diplomacy really, which for some, is a major part of the game. You can't really make allies, you can only look forward to fighting them at some point.

Theres very little info given to the player. Even the civilopedia is rather sparse. I didn't expect Civ 4.....but I expected something at least as fun and engaging. Civ V's shortfalls are a disappointment to many, myself included.

10. tupisac

tupisac Chieftain

I'm amongst the haters, but frankly speaking cannot disagree that Civ V might be a good place to start civ adventure. If you haven't played any civs, go check it out, you might like it a lot.

The true reason for my hate is famous "big sloppy kiss" and a "V" numeral.

11. Clement

Clement Layman

I don't hate Civ 5, there's quite a few things about it i really like, it is true however that i am not currently playing it.

The biggest reason for that is that the leaders constant aggressiveness, i always used to approach all my previous Civ games with a co-operative attitude, i always prefer winning "with" rather than "against", and in Civ 5 that just does'nt seem possible anymore, it's a game breaker for me.

Having said that, i am confident that the bugs and omissions that upset most people will be fixed, it's just that for me personally i have a problem with the design concept itself, and that's just a matter of opinion.

12. Clement

Clement Layman

I agree very much, but i like the 1upt.

13. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

I don't think most of the detractors hate it.. i simply think they are extremely disappointed with it and in the course of venting sound like they hate it. It's not a terrible game.. but for many people it simply lacks what they expected in a civ sequel. Had they gone with a different name rather than making it a direct sequel there would probably be very little complaints/detractors other than the glaring bugs/imbalances.

14. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

Reading back my posts in other threads on Civ5 I sound like a grumpy old man who's dog just died.
    that is how the game makes me feel though lol

I guess the reason i dislike the game is my high expectations I had for this one. I never pre ordered anything in my life and I learned my lesson :)

CivV can be good later on i think, after mods and patches.

and as was mentioned before:
    If you never played any previous Civ's it might actually be a great place to start.

welcome to the forums OP!

15. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

If the detractors really hated the game, they would not be venting it out in here after passing more than a month of the game release ;) . If that people are still around is because they are still willing to give the game a chance, right ? :p

16. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

I'm so tired of hearing this. I don't think I've heard anyone say that they wanted religion to work in the exact same way, or the espionage for that matter. People just want something to play around with when they're not at war. And such features don't exist in Civ 5.

The problem isn't the lack of religion, the problem is that if you don't like war mongering, your alternative is to build three cities, build cultural buildings every 30 turns and pick a new social policy every 30 turns. Oh, and of course, remember to bribe the maritime and cultural city states.

To make it even better, the loading times are insane, so sometimes you'll have to wait almost a minute just to click the end of turn button again. If there at least was something to do... but there isn't. Even worker actions aren't interesting, since you just spam trading posts everywhere. You can manually move around the working tiles for fun.

I honestly have a lot more fun playing Civilization I than this game.

17. Nicopol

Nicopol Warlord

Very good post!
    I totally agree....

18. Pantastic

Pantastic King

From what I've been able to gather, the main complaints are:

It's a simplistic, easy-minded, dumbed-down game, and at the same time it has a bunch of horrible unfun mechanisms that force you to make decisions about wether buildings and roads are worthwile instead of just letting plop down whatever you want.
    This game that's been simplified for the lowest common denominator also doesn't allow you to easily ensure that a given AI never attacks you, so diplomacy is completely broken and there's no point in even trying anything with it.
    Your early decisions don't matter you can change your plan at any time, and also if you make the wrong early decisions you can't change them and you're screwed and you have to plot out your victory type from the start.
    The penalties for expanding your empire too much are too brutal and prevent building more than a handful of cities also their decision to bring back infinite City Sprawl as an effective strategy was just terrible.
    They spent too much time on useless fluff like graphics and music, they should have spent that time/money on gameplay, also they didn't put in wonder and endgame movies so the game is now horrible.

19. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Wow you sure blew a hole right throught all the arguments against Civ 5 there using incorrect generalised nonsense... well done!

Then people complain that it's the "Haters" who are endlessly "whinning" pointlessly about not having "Civ 4.5" and all they have for a punchline is the insulting "Shafer 5" and "Civ 5 is DUMBED DOWN". :rolleyes:

20. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Do us a favor and quit copy/pasting the same nonsense to every thread and actually write something worth reading. If your just gonna copy/paste all your responses your not really adding anything are you?