1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people hate this game?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lordsurya08, Oct 22, 2010.

1. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Can I add one, Phil ? :p

- The AI, in spite of having a base strategy for the game, can be easily derailed of it if it sees a tempting target or if someones settles too close.

This is probably my biggest gripe about civ V. Not that I disagree with you , especially on the devs have hidden the rules in a degree not seen in TBS for years.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The AI has all kinds of issues, but those are probably a bit harder than some of the ones I mentioned. Nevertheless, I agree that it needs work, even if that is nothing new in civ (jdog5000's BBAI mod AI is MUCH better than stock BTS AI for example).

3. Clement

Clement Layman

Themeinteam, what do you think of the way the Ai leaders treat the player, getting mad with them for liberating their capital, inability to make a long term friend with them? is that wrong or part of a competitive game? Personally i long to be able to team up with the Ai leaders through the whole game, does'nt seem possible in Civ 5 at the moment.

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

@TMIT

Sure, but this that I pointed is pretty much XML flavouring, nothing needing more coding skills than your BtS XML "ruthless" AI ( GlobalDiplomacyAIDefines.xml in this case )... The AI is much more prone to attack a weak target, no matter the distance ( Civ V AI has no direct distance modifier in the XML ) than of declaring war to someone that is competing with them in the vic they choose for their grand strategy ( something like 9 times more prone ) :faint:

5. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

I don't hate this version of civ. It simply doesn't rise to my expected level of quality for a game with the name "Civilization" on it. So I didn't and won't purchase it. Posting here DOES send a message to potential designers. The PC game market is just that; a marketplace. I don't HAVE to buy the thing if it turns out to be an inferior product. Hopefully, if there are sufficient complaints/criticisms here, future designers will know better than to release such. The purpose of my posts has nothing to do with anyone else who posts on this site. My message is for those who are responsible for making the design decisions. Radical simplification is, to me, unacceptable. Improvement is the goal I'm looking for. This isn't a concept in isolation, nor one that I don't apply to myself. I designed a number of Civ2 scenarios. In each successive scenario, I attempted to improve upon the last. Map size, unit strengths, scale, diplomacy, movement-in-relation-to-scale, costs, applicability and balance of wonders, and the very delicate balance of time/distance/production. It seemed that, w/CIV improvement was still part of the guiding principle. I'm not sure what the guiding principle w/CiV was, but the Shirk interview suggests that it wasn't improvement. Unacceptable. Characterizing me as a "hater" suggests that my criticisms of the game are simply thoughtless and tactless refusals to accept the new version. Anyone who has seen or played any of the scenarios I've created would instantly know better. The first question that will probably come up after a claim like this would be, "why don't you mod CIV?" The answer is that 1.) I'm not sure I have a sufficient mastery of the tools of modification needed to implement what I would consider necessary changes; I'm not a programmer, and 2.) I came late to the CIV scene, literally a month or two before V release, and it may well be that the many quality mods that already exist have essentially got there before me.

6. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I think one problem with the game I am playing, is that the AI creates alot of puppet cities when it expands, so when you go to war. They have to bring their forces from a long way. The units that they have in the vicinity cannot stop a full scale invasion. That was my war with Persia, in which I slaughtered their immortals, but they got me good too, knocking off some of my best units.

What is it about the AI that is really horrible, perhaps it is not tactics? Let me know?

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Attacking a weaker target is usually the best way to further one's position though, assuming you can pull it off successfully. Attacking a game leader is a late-game move to block VC - only Jdog's AI does that deliberately.

The AI could definitely use some XML "tweaks" in V, along with a basic improvement in how it plays/fights.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I agree partly with you, but the magnitude of the thing seems excessive to me ;) Atleast it should consider the goal of winning more important as time passes/ as it becomes closer of the win and there is no sign they do that now at all :D

9. Aedn

Aedn Chieftain

I am a lurker, and only started posting recent, but for my preferance I do not hate civ 5. However i have to state after having it for a month and putting in a ton of gametime, i am extremely disapointed in it.

CIV 5 has a serious lack of depth to the gameplay, and frankly to win a game, your slotted into a bare minimum of strategies depending on what victory you are going for, what leader you pick, what map type you choose. Your strategy is devised on turn 1, and you better stick to it or your going to lose.

The limited selection leads to very shallow gameplay, and a lack of interaction with the game. While civ 4 was not the great game it became with its expansions, it still had a depth of gameplay that kept things interesting for me.

Civ 5 needs quite a bit of work imo, and until the expansions come out, i cant see myeslf playing it because it lacks the element of challange i found in I-IV. Hopefully patches & expansions will address the gameplay issues i have with 5.