Why do roads look like little ditches?

In Civ 5 they have made the sea darker - I really like how the sea looks - but they made the river lighter, and it looks weird.

That's what sticks out the most for me - by far.

As another poster said, Civ 5 rivers look anything but organic, and since that really sticks out.

That was less of an issue for me at first, and maybe the river from the video is a bad example, but it's so excessively straight as to be unrealistic. It really does stand out.

In a lot of places the roads are "ditches" / ruts, and when it rains you do not go any where.

As for the rivers, their use seems to be different in this version. They are speed bumps now, and the graphics we have seen have changed in each build of the game we have seen. Therefore it is too late to complain about them now. If we do not like the finished product, then we can complain.

This whole thread reads to me like a bunch of SPAM. What a friggin' waste of reading time. :(

There's river esthetics,
there's also river practicalities of it being effortless to see the course of the river since it affects both combat and non-road movement (even post-engineering, which I have no problem with).

Uhm, there are multiple forms of rivers. And those really "twisty" ones are usually WAY too small to be significant. I don't remember the process of how they are created, but they are small fry.

Civ-scale rivers are big ones, the Rhine, Volga Mississippi et cetra.

Showing a close-up photo of a small segment of the Amazon to show it should be displayed as a "twisty" river in the game is a bit illogical, anyway. As has been noted, most such bends occur at a small level, but if you were to "zoom out" and view the river from the height that the Civ5 cameras is at, it would actually look much straighter overall.

And, as has been noted, it's not as if the depictions in Civ are meant to be photorealistic anyway. If you were to consider it more of the way the river would be depicted on a geographical map, it looks fine:

http://go-passport.grolier.com/map?id=mgam042&pid=go

That's not a particularly "twisty" river overall.

Now, would I object to the in-game graphics looking more "realistic" and have a more interesting shape like in Civ4? Not at all!

It's not even so much the shape of the river. It's that their coloration simply does not match that of the surrounding environment. This is particularly bad where the river meets the ocean. They look too clean and uniform. Rivers are full of 'stuff'. They should look a bit more like the ocean water. Also they're too wide. They should be about half their width to fit in with the rest of the map. As for roads, they look poorly textured in the stream video but that could be the streaming software cutting out detail (likely).

It's not even so much the shape of the river. It's that their coloration simply does not match that of the surrounding environment. This is particularly bad where the river meets the ocean. They look too clean and uniform. Rivers are full of 'stuff'. They should look a bit more like the ocean water. Also they're too wide. They should be about half their width to fit in with the rest of the map. As for roads, they look poorly textured in the stream video but that could be the streaming software cutting out detail (likely).

It's true. With as much system hardware power the game demands it should definitely have prettier coloration. I agree.

I'll tell you guys right now, the graphics for this game aren't as great as people are making them to be. We've got many threads on this, one of which I started.

The rivers looks terrible. I'm pretty sure the final game build wont touch up on the rivers. They just don't have enough time left to worry with such. Greg's build was old, but probably not too old??

Funny as it is, I don't really see much a difference with civ 4 graphics and civ 5. Maps looks similiar zoomed in. Civ 5 is obviously a slight upgrade. civ 5 only looks real good zoomed out imo.

gregs video pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me. The graphics stink, but probably wont matter. civ games are always a couple years behind the tech curve.

I like the look of Civ IV rivers better as well. The extreme twisty-bendy style really gives them character I think, and the various coloration and effects makes them look like they are actually flowing and have depth.

V's roads and rivers look unfinished to me still. They lack the graphical effects of IV, as well as looking 'too straight' compared to the surrounding terrain, which looks very organic and much more natural than in IV. The coloration disparity between oceans and rivers also seems to be too great, as several people have mentioned.

In the end, its not a game breaker by any means, and something that could be worked on for an expansion or patch. If it impacts my enjoyment of the game, it will only be to a slight degree.

From all the screenshots and video that I have seen the roads don't change during different eras like in cIV. Which is kinda sadning. I like how the road designs changed to match the era. I was looking as some other screenshots with rivers and they don't look quite as bad as the one that we seen in video. Granted they are nothing compared to cIV rivers which have awesome detail of the deltas, floodplains, etc.

Why are you even bothering?
Because he made a bizarre claim that wasn't true (only minor rivers are twisty).
This is the internet. I had to fix it.

I just showed you a screenshot above where twisty rivers CAN be made in Civ 5.
You showed a screenshot with a river with some slight curves. Hardly twisty.
And its missing any kinds of features like islands, which even Civ4 rivers had.

Its not like I'm out of line here... it seems a lot of other people think that the rivers are the weakest part of the graphics. (In general I think the graphics look great, I really liked looking at Africa in Greg's demo game, looked way more real than any other Civ game ever had, very earthlike.)

Top Bottom