Why do roads look like little ditches?

Dearmad

Dead weight
Roads, if anything, are convex, not concave, so that water washes off the road into channels or other places and remain usable in inclement weather and last longer. The Romans knew this. Firaxis not so much?

Little muddy ditch roads wouldn't last long at all. No wonder they cost 1 gold per turn to maintain.

This little graphic details has bugged me... looks like an obvious mod there I'll be doing.

Because it's a game, and what you're actually looking at are not roads, but they are a series of pixels.

I hope I was able to clear it up for you.

You didn't clear anything up.

In fact, your argument makes no sense because it is composed of pixels on a computer screen. I'm so obtuse that I can't see anything beyond the pixels. Everything is pixels.

Roads, if anything, are convex, not concave, so that water washes off the road into channels or other places and remain usable in inclement weather and last longer. The Romans knew this. Firaxis not so much?

Little muddy ditch roads wouldn't last long at all. No wonder they cost 1 gold per turn to maintain.

This little graphic details has bugged me... looks like an obvious mod there I'll be doing.

I assume that you are talking about the footage from yesterdays live stream of 2KGreg playing?

They stressed during game-play that what they were playing was an internal build and that some of the walls and road and city designs would be worked on and changed a bit between then and the ship date. So... I would expect to see your roads looking like roads when you install it on your computer and play it for the first time - no worries. :)

I assume that you are talking about the footage from yesterdays live stream of 2KGreg playing?

They stressed during game-play that what they were playing was an internal build and that some of the walls and road and city designs would be worked on and changed a bit between then and the ship date. So... I would expect to see your roads looking like roads when you install it on your computer and play it for the first time - no worries. :)

Really? Since they already let us preload I think we already have the latest build. Unless they plan to release a patch on release or something.

Really? Since they already let us preload I think we already have the latest build. Unless they plan to release a patch on release or something.

Greg wasn't playing the release version.

He was playing a final build, but changes could have been made from that build to the release build. Though I doubt the road graphics will be one of those changes.

Yeah... I remember the lady who was sort of moderating the comments coming in from the chat saying that he was playing an internal build and that a few things were going to be changed graphically. Like, in the build 2KGreg played the city walls came in a really, really strong black color and she said that was just because of this internal build that they were playing and that wouldn't be the case in the pre-load. So, I think everything will be okay. And if it isn't... like you said, a patch will fix it. :)

You didn't clear anything up.

The roads do not look exactly like roads, because they are in fact not roads. Nothing in the game, in fact, looks exactly like its real life counterpart, if for the color-palette alone. That doesn't confound anyone though, it's just the concavity implying shadows on the roads that gets you.

In fact, your argument makes no sense because it is composed of pixels on a computer screen. I'm so obtuse that I can't see anything beyond the pixels. Everything is pixels.

:rolleyes:

Because it's a game, and what you're actually looking at are not roads, but they are a series of pixels.

I hope I was able to clear it up for you.

Your a paid buzzkill is what you are, Mr. Buzzkillington.:D

I think the roads are a definite improvement over, say, the roads we saw in Civ IV. What I hope doesn't happen too often is the whole buildings-hovering-over-a-river thing. Even if it does, it's not that huge of a deal to me, but it's just one of those little nagging things.

The roads do not look exactly like roads, because they are in fact not roads. Nothing in the game, in fact, looks exactly like its real life counterpart, if for the color-palette alone. That doesn't confound anyone though, it's just the concavity implying shadows on the roads that gets you.

:rolleyes:

There is no spoon.

The roads, like the rivers, look unpolished and bad.

They look like ditches, because dirt roads are basically shallow ditches that people travel on. From above, a dirt road and a ditch are almost indistinguishable.

What's wrong with the rivers?

Um, they don't look like rivers? More like dug out trenches filled with fluro blue simcity water.

Rivers from the air usually look more twisty - like this:

I don't really care either way, but I can see why people are complaining.

The thing is, it'd be pretty difficult to make the rivers look less straight without making it harder to tell what hexes they lie between. It might be a case of complainers not knowing what they really want.

Um, they don't look like rivers? More like dug out trenches filled with fluro blue simcity water.

Rivers from the air usually look more twisty - like this:

I don't really care either way, but I can see why people are complaining.

The thing is, it'd be pretty difficult to make the rivers look less straight without making it harder to tell what hexes they lie between. It might be a case of complainers not knowing what they really want.

Great post. They have a lot of work to do to bring ciV rivers up to snuff. No oxbows, little islands or river deltas whatsoever. Not very organic Firaxis... ;)

Top Bottom