Why do the Persians hate me?

AluminumKnight

Conquistador
Might be kind of a pointless thread but I think it's a little strange. I am on a continent with Ethiopia, (I'm playing RaR, it doesn't really matter though) Persia, the Zulu, the Ottomans and Babylonians. All of the civs have a border with me except Persia, but yet Xerxes keeps declaring war on me, even though he has to cross Ethiopia's territory to get to me. They've done it 3 times and we're not even out of the Ancient age yet. The first two times I beat off their invasion force and after a few turns negiotiated peace because I didn't really want to bother crossing Ethiopia to even get at them. Now I may just have to just because it's annoying!

I expect this behavior out of the Zulu but they haven't even gone to war yet...

PS: this is Monarch

Physical distance from one civ to another doesn't appear to have any effect on whether they'll declare war on you (or not). The Civ gurus around here could give a better answer, but IME, if you have something the other civ wants and/or you present an easy military target (their army is considerably stronger than yours) they can, and will, declare war on you at any point. It's precisely for this reason, that I strive to keep my military forces at relative parity with the largest known enemy civs. Granted, they can declare war on you even when your military is far and above their own, but I've found that it greatly decreases the amount overtly hostile behaviour.

Hope this helps.

-V

I would say depends on the Persians agressivness level. I forgot where the agressiveness chart was. Well, anyway, if you have a big or medium empire, the AI will try to get it out of its way. Also, you may have a small military.

Most likely you either have a too weak military compared to them or you have a resource/luxury the want.
Another reason for the AI to declare war is if they can't expand anymore, in which case they seem to pick random targets :crazyeye:

Most likely you either have a too weak military compared to them or you have a resource/luxury the want.

In my first game of Conquests, Germany and England declared war on me five times before we hit the middle ages. Why? They wanted my ivory at Lyons. I had to wipe them out with knights so they'd stop misbehavining.

Hmmm I can't see what resource I have that they might need, as Ethiopia has wool and incense just like me. I know they have iron because I'm getting attacked by Immortals. Could be horses I guess. I can't bribe Ethiopia yet as Military Alliances aren't available yet :mad:

The first time I thought it might be my weak military but then I built a lot and they just attacked me again...

Another small factor could be that your country (who is that by the way ?) from a different culture group that can make them dislike you more than normal. The Persian do have aggresion set at maximum as well for the record.

Top Bottom