Why do we need to wear suits and why girls wear makeups etc ?

lz14

Prince
Personally I don't understand why men need to wear suits and why girls wear makeups etc. Do you think men should ? And do you think makeups etc is kind of similar to veils etc?

A veil is something practical, where it comes from, they have sandstorms and, well, lots of sands all everywhere. Altough it's rather a part their culture today, I'm pretty sure the origin is a practical one.

Suits simply bring conformity into business or official dressing, it's easier not to offend each other by wearing the wrong clothes if everyone wears (basically) the same stuff. It's simply a consesus people agree on.

Makeup, well ask the female part of the population about that one, shaving is already more than I'm willing to do daily.

Originally posted by lz14
Personally I don't understand why men need to wear suits and why girls wear makeups etc. Do you think men should ? And do you think makeups etc is kind of similar to veils etc?

I think you are mistaken about that. Nobody says that men need to wear suits and women have to wear makeups. However, people (not me) usually do treaty you better if you wear suits. Just like those stupid AI behaviors in Civ3, once you understand their typical behaviors, you can use that to your benefit.:)

Yes, lipstick, brasiers and bikini make me look so sexy :love: :lol:

Yeah, appearance is becoming increasingly important.

Makeup is not similair to veils. A veil is to hide appearance, makeup to enhance it.

It is a quaint remnant of a time when social status was not conferred by the cost of one's automobile. 100 years ago, if you saw one man in a tuxedo and one in rags, you would assume the nattier gentleman to be the richer. Today you must wait to see the tuxedo-clad country club servant drive off in his Honda Civic and the slovenly rock-star drive off in his Bentley to arrive at an accurate prejudice.

Originally posted by Moonsinger

I think you are mistaken about that. Nobody says that men need to wear suits .

But there are so many places/jobs you can't go if you don't wear suits.

and nobody says women have to wear makeups

I'm not saying that, it's just so many women do, I wander why. (but men DON'T, at least very much less, this sounds similar to veils etc)

Because humans are animals concerned with the superficial qualities of their kind since they are good markers of physical health and sexualy verility. Both sexes find interest in such aesthetics in their own sex and that of the opposite to either locate a suitable mate or size themselves up to potential competition.

This facet of human behaviour is being exploited by a litany of enterprises aimed not at improving the human condition but acquiring large amount of wealth, which again is another perceived necessity of human nature.

In conjunction with the media, although not in full knowledge of their partnership, fashion and cosmetic companies provide their audience with the idea that their attire and appearance are tantamount to their status in society (which is also very important to humans for as social animals they seek the acceptance of their fellow species) thus provide them with a wide array of products and services to 'improve' their status.

Women wear makeup because they are given the impression from their moment of sentience that to be accepted in the higher tiers of our hierarchical society and hold a secure spot (usually by attracting a 'breadwinner' male mate, although sex and raising a family is quickly becoming unnecessary for economic success) that they must take whatever means necessary to embellish their good features and eliminate their perceived ugly ones, hence the diet and plastic surgery industries. Self-esteem for most women is geared directly into the way they perceive themselves. And if they do not meet the standards set by the surrounding media their perception of self suffers, albeit some women have shaken the notion of "beautiful equals success".

The same is true of males, who go to great lengths to improve their physical appearance by adorning themselves in garments perceived by society to be that of the rich, confident and active. Much time is also spent resculpting the male figure. I believe it is also a matter of time before male make-up enters the mainstream (although I read something of the sort already occurring in parts of Britain where football star Beckham is a spokesperson for this new male look ... it even has a name but it eludes me...). If you want to make a lot of money I suggest investing in companies that will both produce these products and employ the services of major male celebrities to help advertise them.

Make sense?

because suits are very smart. And I enjoy wearing suits, so even if I worked somewhere where I didn't have to, I'd probably choose to wear a suit anyway.

I think the idea behind is is nothing to do with values as a person...of course not, what you wear is little indication of who you are. But I think that dressing smartly shows you are prepared to make an effort over your appearance when in an environment in which you have to co-operate with other people. I consider that to be a good thing.

Ties are phallic symbols. Big wide ties being in fashion coincides with certain attitudes about women being in fashion. The same with thin small ties.

I like wearing a suit. You look smart and cpnvey a business like impression. I like women to wear make-up, it helps to make them look as pretty as they can. It can also make them feel more comfortable. It can also make some lessons bearable!

Originally posted by lz14
But there are so many places/jobs you can't go if you don't wear suits.

You are absolutely correct! For example, if you are a lawyer (in the US; note: other countries may have different dress code), you must wear suits in court or the judge will fine you in contempt. The same thing with the defendants - technically, you could show up in court dressed in tight leather or half-naked or whatever but if you do that, you would risk lossing your case and so on (unless all the juries were happened to dress in tight leathers too). Therefore, no matter how poor we are, we must rent/borrow/whatever to come up with proper suits to wear in court or our we will lose our case.

I'm not saying that, it's just so many women do, I wander why. (but men DON'T, at least very much less, this sounds similar to veils etc)

It's all part of the culture trend. Woman doesn't need to wear makeups, but it's just that most men refer to chase after beautiful women; therefore, if I want to play the game, I know exactly what I must do.;) Just like women in high heel, I don't know why but most men just find that sexy these days (please note that men during the stoneage may not care much for high-heel;))...again, if I want to be in their games, I will wear them. Hint: just like fishing, if you want to catch fish, you must use the most exotic bait. Although you don't need to fish with bait, but you have to if you want to catch any fish. However, once the fish is hooked, you can take your sweet time to reel it in or do whatever you please and no one would object.

Anyway, I think the real question here is why women are in dresses and men are in suits? Why can't women wear suits and men wear dresses instead? I think the answer is yes.;) In another parallel earth (universe), that would exactly be the norm.

We don't 'need' to do that.

Apart from when health and safety is an issue, I think dress codes are crap.

Originally posted by Moonsinger

Why can't women wear suits and men wear dresses instead? I think the answer is yes.;) In another parallel earth (universe), that would exactly be the norm.

I think that parallel universe is called Scotland.

I have seen some women who look great without make-up... and some that didn't look decent without it. Some guys wouldn't look to good in suits.

I always look like a hired thug in a suit. I'm not a huge guy, nor am I Italian, but for some reason people assume I am the bodyguard or bouncer of whoever/wherever I am at the time.

Originally posted by Quasar1011
I have seen some women who look great without make-up... and some that didn't look decent without it. Some guys wouldn't look to good in suits.

I concur! Just like fishing, some fishes like worms; others refer shiny object.;) Of course, like in Civ3, if we want to win the game, we just have to know ourselves and our enemies.:)

Women wear things that enhance their femininity, and men wear things that enhance their masculinity. That's why women wear dresses and men wear suits.

What makes dresses feminine? Even the most modest dress usually reveals the ankles and neck - two distinctly feminine parts of a woman's body. Why high heels? They set a woman's rear end at an attractive angle. The cavemen would have found them inexplicably sexy, I'm sure.

Suits? Conversely to dresses, they are angular and hide curves. Got a slight paunch? A suit jacket will hide it.

I believe makeup should be used sparingly.

Top Bottom