1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Why do you buy rockbands with faith?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by GunsGermsandSteel, Aug 3, 2020.

1. GunsGermsandSteel

GunsGermsandSteel Warlord

Seems an odd choice to me that rock bands are purchased with faith.

Why aren't rockbands just a end of the line great musician? ie they you can earn them infinitely but it has to be through great musician points after all unique great musicians have been earned.

wesplaysciv likes this.
  2. fossar_

fossar_ Chieftain

Yeah it's always been a funny one. I think the reason is so that it forces culture players to diversify their economy a bit more (not that it's particularly single track). Although it seems intuitive that GMusicians could infinitely spawn as rock bands there are problems with that idea.
    1. Most of the time you'll be winning the game shortly after the last musician has been earnt if you've got the rest of your game in order so you wouldn't get many anyway, especially if they added some scaling for each one earnt.
    2. There would need to be another option to buy them earlier anyway for players whose production or gold economies aren't so good and haven't created enough Musician points to exhaust the supply of GMusicians.
    3. If they implemented this it would kind of force some equivalent for all the other Great People types otherwise it would be even weirder.
    4. Through unique improvements, seaside resorts etc production already has way of being converted to tourism.
    Overall, although it seems odd, I think it is the most sensible option. Maybe they should've been called Spiritual Choirs or something like that to connect them more to faith but Rock Bands sounds a lot cooler I've got to say!

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I think if you think of faith in the religious sense it doesn't really work. But if you think of faith outside of religion it can work such as devotion to a particular band.

Still I find it weird considering everything else about faith in the game is centered around religion. Ideally I would make them probably purchasable or buildable whenever you complete a Broadcast Center building. I think that could be a building they could tie into like Archaeologists needed for the Archaeological museum.

At the same time I've wanted a separate Opera House building mutually exclusive to the Broadcast center. It's purpose would be just to hold more great work slots for Musicians and maybe even another writing slot. It would obviously come earlier at the Opera and Ballet Civic and make Great Musicians more useful.

canadamufc and wesplaysciv like this.
  4. wesplaysciv

wesplaysciv Chieftain

Small correction, naturalists can be a huge faith sink for cultural victories.
    Love the idea of dedicated infrastructure to help the culture end game (beyond just more gw slots) such as you describe

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Yes but naturalists and faith seem to make more sense than faith and rock bands for some reason. Maybe it's the nature aspect and the fact that natural wonders give adjacency bonuses for holy sites in the first place.

6. GunsGermsandSteel

GunsGermsandSteel Warlord

I like the idea of rockbands being unlocked from Broadcast Center, even better if they generated rock band points - it would have to be a lot of points since it comes so late.

Naturalists purchased with faith is somehow more acceptable but even then it feels a tad weird.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  7. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Same reason you buy naturalists with faith? :dunno:

8. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Have you ever been to Coachella, EDC, Burning Man? It's basically a religion for some people, where they get spirituality and community through concerts, dance clubs, music festivals, raves...

For that matter, religion is just an older compendium of fictions and ideologies which people identify with as their primary source of social value and metaphysical purpose. There really isn't that much difference between what is accepted as "religion" versus more recent fandoms: Trekkies, Jedis, elves, vampires, fetishists, Disney, Marvel, sports, celebrities...

As far as representing modern cults of fiction, I think rock bands were a fine addition.