Why do you care about Epic Games?

PiR

Emperor
Supporter
I see a lot of people refusing to buy the game because it's on Epic Games store.

Why?

If the devs have an agreement with them, and we as players can bypass the launcher, what's the issue?

Convenience. It is nice having everything as a one-stop shop, which for me is in steam. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm not in a massive rush so if they are planning a steam release down the line I'll probably just wait so I don't have another storefront to go through...

There's also the question of multiplayer where all the players I could rope into getting it are on steam for matchmaking and not epic...

I'm definitely more interested in Old World than Humankind... That said, I have other games on my play list to get through so I'm ok waiting.

Last edited:
Just putting out there, you can add the game to Steam, and you can bypass the launcher by creating a shortcut to the exe file. Only thing you actually need the launcher for is the weekly updates. But even then there are other options.

Just putting out there, you can add the game to Steam, and you can bypass the launcher by creating a shortcut to the exe file. Only thing you actually need the launcher for is the weekly updates. But even then there are other options.

That is good to know. Thanks. I did end up purchasing Solasta as my game for the next little while, but Old World is high on my want list, and that tidbit bumps it up a few notches.

Yes, it works perfectly.

upload_2021-8-19_11-21-27.png

Does that mean we can do MP with Steam friends easily?

Does that mean we can do MP with Steam friends easily?

Old World isn't on Steam. But if you and your friends run the game via Steam using this method, yes you'll still be able to get achievements (logged to Epic) and play MP games. Both those system use Epic Online Services which has nothing to do with the launcher.

That is good to know. Thanks. I did end up purchasing Solasta as my game for the next little while, but Old World is high on my want list, and that tidbit bumps it up a few notches.

I'd give it a couple more weeks for us to iron out the launch kinks. Already we've been able to improve mid-late game performance massively. Amazing what you can find when you suddenly get access to thousands of different hardware configurations. ;)

Reactions: PiR
I see a lot of people refusing to buy the game because it's on Epic Games store.

Why?

If the devs have an agreement with them, and we as players can bypass the launcher, what's the issue?

The main issue for me is that I bought the game and then couldn't run it on my laptop due to the epic games store.

I find it hard to hate on epic games store for other reasons though. Without them investing in new IP exclusives, old world probably wouldn't have been made, which has rapidly become my favorite game. It is the main barrier to old world not being more broadly played, that and the game complexity. I think it's likely the game will experience a lot of eventual success, but in a slow burn way that takes time for people to discover and play it. Also epic store quickly refunded the game before I later repurchased. That was a good test and good experience with their customer service.

The game also needs a bit more people playing to really iron out the way "the way the game is meant to be played", sometimes that took years to develop for people for civ.

But yeah, their store tech has issues.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence between holding off for a Steam release and buying now on Epic.

Mainly:
I want all my games in one place.
I don't agree with the way the CCP has virtual direct control over Chinese companies or their employees.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/am18zn/here_is_why_epic_games_launcher_is_better_than/ this post covers a bunch of issues with the store - probably out of date.

Also, presumably it's better for Mohawk if we buy on Steam? They got paid for the exclusive deal, then they get don't paid by Epic again if the sales never top the deal requirement right? So if we buy on Steam they get more money?

I'm on the fence between holding off for a Steam release and buying now on Epic.

Mainly:
I want all my games in one place.
I don't agree with the way the CCP has virtual direct control over Chinese companies or their employees.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/am18zn/here_is_why_epic_games_launcher_is_better_than/ this post covers a bunch of issues with the store - probably out of date.

Also, presumably it's better for Mohawk if we buy on Steam? They got paid for the exclusive deal, then they get don't paid by Epic again if the sales never top the deal requirement right? So if we buy on Steam they get more money?

I wouldn't make assumptions about what's better for Mohawk. I don't know how the deal is written but by default, a game bought earlier makes further development easier.

The deal gave Epic the distribution exclusivity, it's entirely possible that the game cannot get released anywhere else below a certain amount of sales.

That kind of information can never be disclosed, it is part of a contract and confidential.

If/when Old World comes to Steam, will Epic owners be able to use the Workshop functionality if available and earn Steam achievements?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

If/when Old World comes to Steam, will Epic owners be able to use the Workshop functionality if available and earn Steam achievements?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

We use Mod.IO for mods, so not sure why we would need to support workshop as well? If we did go that path then it would exclude all our non-Steam players?

What about achievements? I guess they're store related, right?

We've setup achievements in game so it's easy for us to move stores.

Yeah, but I think @Ita Bear was asking if an Epic Game owner could get achievement in another store.
That would mean redeeming the game in the other store first (e.g. via a licence key), and then I don't think that data will transfer.
Well anyway I'm not personally too worried about that.

Yeah, but I think @Ita Bear was asking if an Epic Game owner could get achievement in another store.
That would mean redeeming the game in the other store first (e.g. via a licence key), and then I don't think that data will transfer.
Well anyway I'm not personally too worried about that.

Actually...... we record what achievements you have locally. Just in case you don't have a connection when you achieve something. It can be done later.

So I imagine the reality will probably be that if you have the game installed from Epic, then buy on Steam and install it from there, since the data is in MyGames it may just upload your locally stored achievements to Steam.

Has to be said that reality isn't something possible to test, but I imagine from how we have things setup that this is just what would happen.

At the end of the day, achievement processing is done in game and a signal sent to whatever platform to turn it on. Since the achievement is processed and stored in game, it shouldn't matter which platform it sends the turn on signal to.

Thanks @Dale for all your availability. That's really incredible.

No probs. CFC gave me a lot of support when I was doing all that stuff for Civ4 Road to War. Happy to give back. :)

Remember, I'm a Civ genre fan too. ;)

I don't have anything else on epic and am not motivated to install their store app just for one game. I'll absolutely buy if it comes to Steam/GoG

Top Bottom