Why do you or don't you believe in God

Shadylookin

master debater
this is my attempt at making a dedent thread.

so why do you or don't you believe in God/s

I believe in him because i have a hard time believing that humans are a supreme being. Because it is to me the only logical explination of why the world is around. also since Adam and Eve worshiped God and doing so has been around supposedly since time began and people that worship idols and false gods were killed. not to mention people having near death experiences were people see heaven and God and some see a hell and since their legally dead without their brain working so i guess that's my argument now wheres yours

I dont believe in him becuase it doesnt make any sense.

If there is a guy in the clouds with a long grey beard and a lightning cane who just creates everything, coulndt there also be an angry unicorn on the dark side of the moon?

I think evolution makes more sense then a big man creating everything.

I don't believe in the Bible or the churches.
It doesn't matter too much to me whether He exists or not, and I'd call myself an agnostic rather than athiest (though I have strong leanings towards athiesm)

I guess I just have a hard time believing in trees with forbidden fruit and talking snakes, Arc's which can carry a pair of every single animal in the world on board and parting of seas.

I have such a hard time reconciling the concepts of a benevolent, wholly good God with His God-fearing believers.
So many of the people put in charge of nurturing our spiritual development are nothing short of criminals, and those who aren't abet them by hiding it. It's been happening for centuries, from the Inquisition to today's child-molesting priest.

Fantasy literature and some of the most disgusting examples of humanity have utterly failed to inspire me, but because God doesn't show Himself, it's what we've got to guide us.

No thanks.

Originally posted by Shadylookin
I believe in him because i have a hard time believing that humans are a supreme being.
Don't forget that Earth isn't the only planet that exists.
Because it is to me the only logical explination of why the world is around.
I could say the universe started with a large piece of cheese, and as far as I know that'd be just as logical as the Christian creation theory.
also since Adam and Eve worshiped God and doing so has been around supposedly since time began
You must not trust archaeologists and historians.
and people that worship idols and false gods were killed.
By other humans.
not to mention people having near death experiences were people see heaven and God and some see a hell and since their legally dead without their brain working
I've seen pink giraffes chase people down the street in my dreams.

You can probably tell my stance on this. :)

Originally posted by WillJ
Don't forget that Earth isn't the only planet that exists.I could say the universe started with a large piece of cheese, and as far as I know that'd be just as logical as the Christian creation theory.You must not trust archaeologists and historians.By other humans.I've seen pink giraffes chase people down the street in my dreams.

You can probably tell my stance on this. :)

save your alien theory for another thread,

i don't believe in creation like many christians do, but i ask if we evolved from chimps and since evolution is supposed to be for a survival advantage, but you can obviously see that chimps are still alive and well(well we kill them but that too is for another topic) so their was no survival advantage if we could function perfectly well as monkeys.

when have you ever heard an archaeologist or historans talk about what religion adam and eve followed

well these people lost the ability to think as we know it once their brain shut off, but then again you might also not have a working brain(sorry for the insult you left yourself wide open for it)

and yes i know your stance, but you didn't give a reason for it. You didn't have a problem bashing my views tho

I don't believe in God because my highly scientific, logical mind will not allow me to. There is too much evidence that God doesn't exist and not enough that he/she does. Course the religious types would say that believing in God requires faith for that reason...but if you define faith as blindly believing in something without any evidence of it's existance, then I'm hardwired not to have faith in anything.

I'm not arguing in this thread, I'm going to post my opinion and begone. I've had enough religious arguing for one week. ;)

I beleive in God because I was raised a Catholic, and I had beleived my whole life. Recently I began to call my faith into question, so I've been pondering the existence of God and reading some works of Christian writers, most notably C.S. Lewis. Upon re-examination, I am a Catholic because it seems the most sensable choice to me, and overall I get almost a vibe from it, a sense that "this is true". Whether or not it is, I can't say, but I beleive it, and I'll find out when I die. :D

And I beleive in evolution as well, and this is NOT contradictory.

Sorry, Shady. I didn't mean to offend you, but after reading my post again I can see how you were offended. :)
save your alien theory for another thread
I don't have an "alien theory," if by that you mean I believe in aliens, but I do acknowledge the possiblity of them, and it's not certain that humans are the "most supreme" of all living beings if there isn't a god.
i don't believe in creation like many christians do, but i ask if we evolved from chimps and since evolution is supposed to be for a survival advantage, but you can obviously see that chimps are still alive and well(well we kill them but that too is for another topic) so their was no survival advantage if we could function perfectly well as monkeys.
We didn't evolve from chimps. No respectable scientist thinks so. The leading theory is that chimps and humans share a common ancestor, which means you can scrap your survival argument.
when have you ever heard an archaeologist or historans talk about what religion adam and eve followed
What I meant was that most historical records show that polytheism came before monotheism. And what evidence do you have that Adam and Eve even existed?
well these people lost the ability to think as we know it once their brain shut off, but then again you might also not have a working brain(sorry for the insult you left yourself wide open for it)
Wait a second. Are you saying these people saw heaven and hell with their brain "shut off"?

Also, just to clarify, I'm not an athiest, because I know that it's possible that there's a god, so I'm more of an agnostic.

I don't believe in the Christian god because what are the chances the mythology I grew up with is more correct than all the others?

i'm not offended i just wanted to know your views, come on i've been on cfc for a decent amount of time, a simple disagreement isn't going to make me cry.

What I meant was that most historical records show that polytheism came before monotheism. And what evidence do you have that Adam and Eve even existed?

as for the first religion that is debatable. how do i know they existed well unless you believe we were simply created on the earth then their had to of been 2 human people male and female to breed and create the now 6 billion. Adam and eve is very debatable on what their names accutally were if any, but that's just what most people go by

yes their brain was off for lack of a better word.

i'm not offended i just wanted to know your views, come on i've been on cfc for a decent amount of time, a simple disagreement isn't going to make me cry.
Of course not, but you said I deserved an insult, so.... Whatever the case, I still respect (but disagree with) your views. As for my views, my belief is simple: Don't believe something until you have adequate proof of it, and since there isn't adequate proof of God, I don't believe in it, especially not any specific form of God. But I wouldn't be horribly surprised if it's true.
as for the first religion that is debatable. how do i know they existed well unless you believe we were simply created on the earth then their had to of been 2 human people male and female to breed and create the now 6 billion. Adam and eve is very debatable on what their names accutally were if any, but that's just what most people go by
Uh, no. Humans most likely evolved from past organisms, and there didn't have to be two humans that evolved first. And what is your view, exactly? You said you don't believe in creation, and you don't seem to believe in evolution, so how did humans appear? And as for the first religion, that's not very debatable, AFAIK. Almost all records (I say almost because you can never be too sure) show that first "spirits" came about, then multiple gods, then eventually Zoroaster came up with the idea that there was one god. Now, nothing is certain, but I don't think anyone believes the worship of the Christian God has gone on from the begining on time, or begining of humans, or anywhere near it. Humans have been alive for more than two million years, and Jesus was born (or sent to Earth, whatever you believe) about 2000 years ago.
yes their brain was off for lack of a better word.
What do you mean by "off," exactly? You can't see something if you're "off," and how did people even know they were seeing anything? I'm really confused by what you're saying.

I don't believe in God because of two basic laws:
1) The existence of a god would destroy all existence.
2) Man is man is man. This computer I am typing at is a computer. Existence exists. There is no other way around it.

Uh, no. Humans most likely evolved from past organisms, and there didn't have to be two humans that evolved first. And what is your view, exactly? You said you don't believe in creation, and you don't seem to believe in evolution, so how did humans appear? And as for the first religion, that's not very debatable, AFAIK. Almost all records (I say almost because you can never be too sure) show that first "spirits" came about, then multiple gods, then eventually Zoroaster came up with the idea that there was one god. Now, nothing is certain, but I don't think anyone believes the worship of the Christian God has gone on from the begining on time, or begining of humans, or anywhere near it. Humans have been alive for more than two million years, and Jesus was born (or sent to Earth, whatever you believe) about 2000 years ago.

well if their weren't one male and one female human then how did they have kids. i'm no genius but i'm still under the assumption that to have kids a male and a female have to have sex.
Are you sure humans have been around 2 million years, I thought that was just our supposed ancestors(homo erectus and the what not)

well I've read a book where people since the beging believed in God (the bible) I know their were societies that had more than 1 god, but which was the first is very debatable, since they don't have anymore evidence than me(a plain assumption)

by off i mean no brainwave acctivity
well they described tools the doctors were using.

Originally posted by cgannon64
I'm not arguing in this thread, I'm going to post my opinion and begone. I've had enough religious arguing for one week. ;)

I beleive in God because I was raised a Catholic, and I had beleived my whole life. Recently I began to call my faith into question, so I've been pondering the existence of God and reading some works of Christian writers, most notably C.S. Lewis. Upon re-examination, I am a Catholic because it seems the most sensable choice to me, and overall I get almost a vibe from it, a sense that "this is true". Whether or not it is, I can't say, but I beleive it, and I'll find out when I die. :D

And I beleive in evolution as well, and this is NOT contradictory.

Well CG, after reviewing several other posts in this thread, let me say that you are more devoted to reason than many other people out there.

well if their weren't one male and one female human then how did they have kids. i'm no genius but i'm still under the assumption that to have kids a male and a female have to have sex.
Are you sure humans have been around 2 million years, I thought that was just our supposed ancestors(homo erectus and the what not)

well I've read a book where people since the beging believed in God (the bible) I know their were societies that had more than 1 god, but which was the first is very debatable, since they don't have anymore evidence than me(a plain assumption)

Um I need a translater. Any takers?

i don't believe in any god, but i am tolerent of all religons. no matter what. however, forcing women to wear veils and hating the West doesn't count as a religious belief.

To present to my position
Yes, I am a Christian. Although I haven’t been to a church in my life, wait I take that back, I’ve been to a couple of funerals. I wasn’t raised a Catholic, a Orthodox, or a Protestant, I was raised to think whatever I wanted. Now, there are two things that come to mind here, the first is the New testament, which I have read, the second is the Old Testament, which I haven’t. Indeed, I regard it as nothing more than a Mythology. The word Christian, let me paraphrase: “...to follow the teachings of Christ”. Simple, and yet the words that he has spoken are few, I find it remarkable just how much people assumed.

Thus I do not believe in Adam and Eve, or any of that, I believe the stories are there to make a point, as all Mythologies do. To explain life to the people around it, and put it in a romantic form. Indeed, even Plato (pretty sure it was him, or it was Aristotle) warned of his fellow Greeks becoming too caught up in Mythological stories, to loose touch of reality.
Johann MacLeod-
"If Jesus saves then he'd better save himself, from the gory, glory seekers who use his name in death."
Now, leading back to this, Jesus Christ was probably one of the only Pacifists of his time. Looking at his life it immediately becomes apparent, wether war was done is name is irrelevant, that is the fault of the people behind it, not the religion. It is almost as if people blame the guy for death, if I were to die now saying ‘don’t kill your brothers’ and 200 years later people start to slaughter one another in my name. Who would be to blame? Me for trying to Pacify them?

You can’t believe in the supernatural, if you don’t believe in a God-gods. So, an atheist can’t believe in a human soul, now could they ;).

To put it short, yes I believe in God.

Assuming you can agree with me on the fact that evolution most likely took and takes place, then you also agree that humans somehow came about without being born from humans. Here's a possibile explanation for there not being two first humans:

I forgot what the human ancestors' scientific names are, but for now I'll call them boboes. These boboes were happily living their lives, slowly evolving, when the boboes were naturally seperated from each other into two groups, maybe by an island breaking off from the main continent. Thus, their environments were made different, and the two groups started to evolve differently from each other. One group very gradually evolved into more and more human-like, the other more and more modern-ape-like. Eventually these two groups become very different from each other, the early humans smarter than the early apes. In fact, after many, many generations they were so different they couldn't breed with each other, and became seperate species. There wasn't ever a time where some boboes had kids and BAM! they're two humans, and these two humans have kids, which have kids, and so on. No. The boboes just gradually evolved to become more and more human-like. You could define the "first humans" as the humans that were in the first generation not able to breed with the other group of boboes. But there didn't necessarily have to be two of them at first; it could have been more. Some boboes had kids, which were the first humans, and some other boboes had kids, which were also the first humans, etc. Maybe there were 12 or so "first humans," who knows. These first humans then started having kids, and so the story goes.

Clear as mud?
No, it's humans.
These historians and archeologists have evidence: places of worship, remains that suggest religious ceremonies, and many other things. All early remains point to some sort of polytheism. Now, it's possible that somehow people worshipped the Christian God since the dawn of time, which would seem odd considering that'd mean before Jesus, and I don't think the Bible even says anything about this (I always thought it said the opposite).
Tools that can see what the person is thinking without relying on brainwaves? Are you sure about this?

Top Bottom