1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you play Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by jguy100, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jguy100

jguy100 Warlord

What is the main reason you play Civilization? What is the thing that just makes you want to come back for more?

For me, it's the end of the game empire. I love seeing the big, sprawling, railroaded, land mass. The one that is all mine! I sometimes just start parading my units around for the fun of it. I play my whole beggining game just so I can have this glorius ending. Call me crazy :crazyeye: , I don't care.

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I play because it's fun. When it gets tedious, like in the end game, I usually abandon the game, even though it's clearly won.

I also play because I like re-enacting stuff.

3. Nooble

Nooble Warlord

Cause I Want To Play! Hey I Want To Play What I Wanter Ok??? U No Tell Me !i Like Civ Ok?? I Play If I Want And I Want And I Like! U No Tell Me Ok??? :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger: :anger:

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Umm....right.

I don't play much anymore (D2 & GTA:SA) but I manage a few turns a week in.

Honestly, I play because I know what to expect, but I don't know what to expect, if you know what i mean. The game is never the same twice. It's not like Diablo2 or GTA:SA where I pretty much know what's going on (but replay those for different reasons), but Civ will be different every time.

5. klopolov

klopolov WarBug

It gives me the feeling of being in control... So much in real life is not up to me and is not decided by me, that I like to get away from it all and Civ gives me that... Plus it's fun and as Turner_727 said, it's never the same...

6. Total War

Total War Chieftain

I play as a way to escape the realities of the world. In Civ, I can get ticked at who I want, start wars, make allies, and blow stuff up without all the nasty consequenses if I had done those things in real life :)

Also, as some have mentioned, it is never the same twice. There is a certain unpredictability that keeps me hooked and playing over and over again. It's a good way for me to end a long day at school :)

7. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

It's a challenging game, no matter how often you play it. You never know how your nearest opponents will develop and if they become a threat to your own development. And of course the bashing of your enemies is good too ;).

8. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

1) it's so damn fun!
    2) games are never the same. Surprises are always around the corner.
    3) i want to dominate the world, but in real life it's too difficult.

9. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Because I can tell my wife (who is American) that I've just wiped out the Americans :) (Or the Russians. Or the Chinese. Etc.)

10. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Because there's an icon on my desktop that attracts my mouse when I try to turn off the computer.

11. TyranusBonehead

TyranusBonehead Bound & Determined

'Cause it's fun. Makes you think. :clap:

12. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

I just play civ as a pre-build of GTA:SA,I don't have PS2 so I must wait until PC version released.I agree with Turner 727,GTA always ends the same,but Civ don't.
    @eldar,you tell your wife that you elimated her home country?That's not a good idea.

13. Beorn-eL-Feared

Beorn-eL-Feared Idiot riding pedals

Damn right Pentium, it's a mouse magnet

14. IbnSina

IbnSina Former Lurker

It's a real thinking game. I play because it occupies my mind even when I am away from it. I play for the moment in the early game when I switch from peaceful expansion to military conquest. I do find the end game to be a bit boring, though, and quit if I can't finish off my opponents quickly enough...

15. Marcus Cicero

Marcus Cicero For I am "Thursday!"

Power. Flat out this is my most important reason. I love to control the fate of all these little simulated people.

16. Aegis

Aegis Deity

The early expansion land-grab is terribly addicting for me. Scouting out the map, locating resources and luxuries, plotting the logistics of the workers to build roads towards city sites and then assembling the puzzle of interlocking city radii with the advancing settlers is loads of fun and wastes a lot of time. =o) I like forming a nation of cities, growing and researching as best I can, and then smiting those who attempt to defile my lands with their dirty little footprints.

17. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

The box art of civ 1 looks attractive to me...

18. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

I sometimes just run Civ to see the CivIIII picture, but then I can't resist playing (of course for only 10 minutes). And it's good to be the God.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Two equally good reasons:

1. Replayability and variants.
    2. SG.

20. Aegis

Aegis Deity

SG means what?