Why do you stick to Civ1 and its exp packs?

There is definitely, absolutely no expansion packs. There.

Expansion packs? Never heard of 'em. Also never played Civ II, etc. Simplest reason for that is because Civ II is a Windoze game. My computer at the time couldn't run that GUI well.
Anyways, as usual the oldest and originalest is always the best in life. Sequels suck as one might say. ;-)
Another things against Civ II was that horrible 3-d side view (isometric?) I've seen screenshots of. UGH! The only proper way to play a board game is with a 2-d top down view from the godlike perch in space. You gotta be able to see the counters clearly!
Furthermore Civ is bug free and well balanced. Oh hell let me simply say Civ is the perfect game. 10/10!

Hmm, I was in my late teens cruising BBSs with my 2400 baud modem on my 386sx-20 system. Yeah, it was a screamer back then. Whopping 2MB of ram, sound blaster, and a CD-ROM drive!

One BBS I was on had a nice download section and I saw this game on there, Civilization. I downloaded it (it took all night - don't hate me for this, read on please ;) ). The next day I installed it and I've been hooked on Sid Meier ever since.

I later was able to purchase a legal copy of Civilization but soon after Civ 2 came out and PC Gamer gave it the highest rating ever, only to be beaten by Alpha Centauri.

I even got into Colonization and his more current games, Pirates, Railroads, etc..

While my favorite is Civilization 3, Civ 1 is close behind. The basics have stayed the same and Sid Meier has mastered the monotonous game with tons of replayability. It's amazing how a game like this can captivate someone for as long as it does.

It's the only Civ series that I can play on a smart phone with emulators.

Hmm, I was in my late teens cruising BBSs with my 2400 baud modem on my 386sx-20 system. Yeah, it was a screamer back then. Whopping 2MB of ram, sound blaster, and a CD-ROM drive!

No way!!!! A CD-ROM? I have the same exact system BTW but NO CD-ROM. WOW. You were really cutting edge. I didn't get a CD until 1997 on my Pentium. That CD must have been like a 1x or 2x right?

draggar: yeah? wow! a CD is pretty impressive on that system. I eventually bought one for my 486. :) What part of south florida are you from btw? Ive lived all over that place.

The CR-ROM was a Christmas present - it came with a Sound Blaster Pro. It was slow as anything (and the PC was a couple of years old, too). At best it was 2X but more likely 1X. (I also got the PC late - it was 1992-1993ish?)

It was one of those the whole drive slid out, then you opened it to swap the drives. Yeah, it choked the system but I liked it.

It was later put into my 80486 DX2-66 system where it rocked. :)

The CR-ROM was a Christmas present - it came with a Sound Blaster Pro.

My Civilization came with this set but the card was a SB16. The drive was a 2X and used the proprietary Panasonic interface, which is what we used before IDE/ATAPI was available. It cost north of $400 in 1994.

lol i started civ 1 back on an Amstrad XT, 10mb HDD in EGA and PC speaker. Tried Civ 2,3,4 but cant get into them. Only other one I liked was the original Colonization.

My first exposure to Civ 1 was a marathon hotseat game of CivNet at a friends house one evening back in 1995. It was addictive, and I went and got Civ II on its initial release the next year. Now I go back to the original for nostalgia's sake. Civ 3 overdid what the first two games did so well, and Civ 4 is just completely different altogether.

lol i started civ 1 back on an Amstrad XT, 10mb HDD in EGA and PC speaker. Tried Civ 2,3,4 but cant get into them. Only other one I liked was the original Colonization.

Amstrad!!! I've got one still, a PC1640 with 30 MB hardcard and "paper-white" monitor. :) Never ran CIV on it though. <shudder> Only did Hercules graphics. Bought myself a nice 386 with VGA and then I civved!

Bought myself a nice 386 with VGA and then I civved!

...and well;) I used to play on a 10MHz 286. It had VGA, at least! It would do well 'till halfway through the game when it would begin to crawl.

This is stupid, but it will clear you Civ1-lovers' minds.

Spoiler :
http://www.dorkclub.com/art/top25/22.html

Civ long and prosper.:rockon:

This is stupid, but it will clear you Civ1-lovers' minds.

Spoiler :
http://www.dorkclub.com/art/top25/22.html

Civ long and prosper.:rockon:
Majority of those games really suck. The last places save it from complete fail tho.

What do you mean the majority of them suck! I find they all deserve to be on the list (though most definetely not in that order, especially Ocarina of Time not being in the top 15).

I dunno. The list was made in 2003, so it's a tad bit outdated. I can see a giant mob saying that Grand Theft Auto III, Diablo, or Tetris is overrated, but nothing else much.

Your opinion I guess, though I'd like a clarification.

What do you mean the majority of them suck! I find they all deserve to be on the list (though most definetely not in that order, especially Ocarina of Time not being in the top 15).

I dunno. The list was made in 2003, so it's a tad bit outdated. I can see a giant mob saying that Grand Theft Auto III, Diablo, or Tetris is overrated, but nothing else much.

Your opinion I guess, though I'd like a clarification.

Top Bottom