Why does AI TOW rip my modern armour up?

ockhamsrazor

Chieftain
The subject says it all. It seems to me, and frankly I might be overstating it, but I swear the AI TOW beats my modern armour 3 out of 4 times.

I've gotten to the point I'm afraid to even attack friggin TOW.

I know enough to attack from uphill, not across rivers etc. But even in the plains they just wipe me out. Any ideas? Or am I just crazy.

Grumble grumble grumble...it must just be my imagination then....

But I swear (raises right hand in the air) it happens a great deal!

It also seems to happen for my battleships. The AI destroyers wipe em out also :)

If a Destroyer attacks a Battleships, then each one has a 50% chance of winning.

if a spearman has a chance of winning, a TOW infantry has a chance of owning your modern armor as far as im concerned.

rather lose to a TOW than to some ancient age unit any day of the week.

hahahahaha i typed out weak instead of week. im so dumb.

Only if there are two units in the stack

I did a google search on "TOW weapon", and this is the first link that came up. I thought it was fitting that the TOW is eating up your tanks. The TOW is supposed to be an anti-tank weapon.

I know that the string of loss that you experienced was just bad luck, and there is no hidden bonus for the TOW Infantry unit against tanks (that I know off ;) ). But in both Civ and in real life, a general probably deserves strings of bad luck, if he tries to jam his armour divisions down the throat of enemy TOW units without proper support.

I don't know about the deserves it part, but my DES run say in 10 trials the MA wins 60% of the time, so what is the big deal? It is a 14 def unit and with just being on flatland and fortified it is 135% def.

i don't have C3C but i can see why it is possible for a TOW to slaughter you MA... As SJ Frank pointed out, the TOW missile system WAS rimarily designed and manufactured as an anti-tank system, and is very good at what it does.

I don't know why it's INFANTRY... Most TOW systems are mounted on vehicles.

I love how you googled it, but you could have just read the civipooepoplpledia and read the description for tow infantry to find out about the anti tank.

You say that like punching a name into Google somehow require more effort than starting up Civ3, opening up a game, and clicking through several pages of stuff just to bring up a short blurb on the subject. :confused:

Also, assuming it wasn't intentional...

> civipooepoplpledia

has to be the most hilarious mispelling ever. :lol:

The TOW was deigned as an anit-tank weapon...... Noone would attack infantry with missles.

Ranger99 said:
I don't know why it's INFANTRY... Most TOW systems are mounted on vehicles.

I guess because back when TOW missiles came out the were hand held rocket launchers.

"Came out"? You make it sound like they were Civ 4 or something. :p

Hmm.... They were???

The TOW missile system is one of great reliability and accuracy, and has some expensive equipment invovled in its operation, i never knew that they were hand-held weapons at one point.

A TOW missile is unique because it doesn't neccasarily 'lock on' to its target, the soldier himself directs the missile into the tank. After the release of the missile ( which is attached to a cable) The gunner can then manuever the missile using the cable, which allows for great accuracy, and flexability. Of course all of this equipment is rather expensive, and so it is mounted on vehicles (Bradley's)to save money, and give it more protection.

> I don't know why it's INFANTRY... Most TOW systems are mounted on vehicles.

I think they just wanted them to have 1mv and having it as a vehicle mounted weapon that moves the same speed as unmounted would look kinda silly. Besides, they're supposed to be upgrade from guerillas, and it wouldn't really make much sense to go from a small arms unit to an armored vehicle overnight, just like how you aren't allowed to upgrade cavalry to tanks, even though they're basically the same unit-type.

TOWs can be man-packed, but it's not usually very common, although the IDF uses man-packed TOWs alot. They're also mounted on helicopters sometimes.

I think the TOW is just supposed to mean a generic modern anti-tank infantry weapon ... they should have used the Javelin instead because it's a more common man-packed anti-tank missile system.

Some pics and info on the Javelin here:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/javelin/

Top Bottom