1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does each iteration of Civ get more & more cartoony?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Strong Reaction, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Strong Reaction

Strong Reaction Chieftain

Why? Just Why?
    It sounds like a rhetorical question and maybe I do already know the answer, but do you?

Allinuse likes this.
  2. Acken

Acken Deity

You lived in a cave between civ 4 and civ 6 ?

3. Strong Reaction

OK why go back to cartoony, and yes I did (5 in its own way is a regression of sorts). Also, by the looks of it I will stay in my cave during Civ6.

Toulouse and Lyoncet like this.
  4. Haig

Haig Deity

Because cartoon graphics run better on mobile devices, of course.
    Same reason they picked Cleopatra for Egypt, easier for mobile phones to handle.

Sonmi, Babri, Goldflash and 9 others like this.
  5. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

Personally I don't think it's a fair statement. Up to IV all games were cartoonish, V changed it for a more realistic Baroque representation that grew old fast (that was also a pain for my eyes).

IMHO the "cartoonish" solution allows for better and clear design that has the advantage of being atemporal.

It's for the same reason companies tend to choose sketchy cartoonish logos, instead of elaborate ones.

6. Strong Reaction

As a person who likes strategy games of all types, I find cartoonish graphics to be childish, unappealing and an attempt to appeal to either a younger audience or a less sophisticated audience.

Allinuse and jekke like this.
  7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Why make it realistic? If I want gritty, I can look at the world all around me. True art is not realistic.

Besides, it is also easier to distinguish if it is clean and clear, which is easier to do if its "cartoony".

In addition, perhaps you are in the minority who like realistic graphics on a strategy game. I enjoy the somewhat cartoony theme, and the graphics complement that nicely. Civ is not a 100% serious game anyway.

This is preposterous. I find such an attitude demeaning and shortsighted. Realistic graphics are just as much an attempt to appeal to people with a lack of imagination as cartoony graphics are an attempt to appeal to children. In other words, not at all.

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

It's been discussed before. I can live with the Civ VI graphics though I will probably be on the lookout for mods that allow experimentation with some of the tile color palettes. The preview vids show that tile contents are pretty easy to identify and that is encouraging from a practical, game play perspective.

The day/night cycle is cute, pretty even, but I doubt I'll leave it on for very long. Perhaps someone will create a mod where the day/night change will affect warfare or even take it further to allow for weather changes like rain, mud & snow. That would be really cool if it affected gameplay, especially warfare and movement. That would allow for some interesting scenarios...

All wishful thinking/brainstorms aside, though, it seems to me now that the late game maps will be really busy and clarity on the map will be important than realism.

9. narmox

narmox Emperor

I want a map that's clear to distinguish details and a game that is interesting, deep, fun, etc. The art style does not reflect on the last part but definitely helps on the first part, IMO.

10. Strong Reaction

I mean Civ isn't a historical recreation (or for strategy hardcores), but it has always allowed for a sort of "what if" narrative to take place, which has been an attraction for me. The move towards cartoony makes I less likely that I will consume it.

Allinuse likes this.
  11. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

It has always been cartoony. The move away from it in 5 was the odd title out. If that really makes a difference to you, you can still play 5 I suppose.

12. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

here again comes the debate about the art style. can we just settle that each of us has different preference on what the games look like?

Xen, Zantetsuken and cpm4001 like this.
  13. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

It doesn't? Civ II was literally cartoon sprites. Civ III attempted to be more realistic aside from leaders clothes in different eras. Civ IV went back to being cartoony. Civ V had a heavier focus on realism. Civ VI will have a more cartoon style again, as all even entries have.

Sounds like you're not paying attention. If you don't like it you can skip it like you apparently did with V despite it having a style you should have enjoyed

14. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

yeah, as others have pointed out, the cartoony is back to roots, if anything civ5 was the anomaly here. I for one love the fully animated "cartoony" leaders.

15. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

they're targeting at kids
    they need some new blood otherwise franchise will die out with its fans
    so its better to lose some grumpy old fans loyalty than to die out

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    jekke likes this.
  16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Yep. Cartoon graphics : no way it's a strategy game worth your time. Stick with 5 then. :)

17. DCParry

DCParry Chieftain

Then maybe this game isn't for you. Its not the end of the world. I am sure you can find other things that you don't hate to fill your time.

Zantetsuken and Babri like this.
  18. cakes

cakes Prince

i think the real question is why does civ keep getting less cartoony?

19. Strong Reaction

I am perfectly aware that I do not have to play Civ 6. I am just disappointed in the direction the franchise is going and has been going.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Allinuse and cpm4001 like this.
  20. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

I completely disagree with the argument that cartoony graphics are an attempt to appeal to younger fans.

If anything I feel that realistic graphics are such a clichéd attempt at appealing to the stereotypical 'young male gamer' demographic, and the most vocal critics of the artstyle are young males who want to feel 'cool' while playing. I have literally heard that exact argument over on reddit. A young male fantasy. Brighter, clearer graphics appeal more to those who have put away childish things like the fear of childishness, as CS Lewis would say. I would much rather something with a bit of style and art direction, over just another tech demo of look-how-realistic-graphics-are-these-days.

Before anyone jumps in saying they're a 60-year-old grandpa who likes realistic graphics, I'm not saying it's only young males, but mostly those who are young, or young at heart.