Why does everyone hate CIV5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid this thread won't end well but what the heck.

A lot of people don't like CiV because of either Steam, DLC, major gameplay problems (Diplomacy, ICS, AI not building air units), 1UPT, the tech tree, long build times, trading posts, lack of religions, not being CivIV+, and a few (dozen) things I'm probably missing.

It just didn't set right with some people. There are a number of like it. Number who dislike it. But there are a number on both sides that are diehards so take that as you will.

I like it a lot. I remember when Civ 3 came out the big mantra was that it was "Civ 2.5", so this type of sentiment isn't unheard of. Sure, it's got room for improvement, but what game is perfect at launch?

Don' t you think that " hate " is a bit strong word for the situation here, some old players of the civ serie feel cheated, as it always happens when games go " Grand public " they loose some dept, but that's not really hate either, i see it as a sign of love on the contrary

btw first post wohooo

If you read some of the threads on here, you'll see that that term is spot on.

Don' t you think that " hate " is a bit strong word for the situation here, some old players of the civ serie feel cheated, as it always happens when games go " Grand public " they loose some dept, but that's not really hate either, i see it as a sign of love on the contrary

btw first post wohooo

I personally love it

You know, I just finished a game like 2 min ago, and I was wondering the answer to this question the whole time I was playing it. I love it. Of course like most games, a few things can be changed or balanced here and there. I think Sonereal sums it up but I won't say everyone hates Civ5, more then half like it (see some polls here). The thing is, the ones who like it just don't always post. More people post complaints, just how a lot of general topic forums are other then the strategy forum. The HoI3 forum was like that for a very long time, not so much anymore. Oh and if you been around here years ago, the Civ4 forum was similar not long after release.

Right now I'm really enjoying CiV. I think that is mostly to do with some of the wonderful modding going on (take a look at some of the balance mods if you're not enjoying the game right now). Between the mods and future patches I am optimistic that CiV can become a worthy addition to the Civ chronicles but it still has a ways to go. Whether I'll still be playing this just before Civ VI launches depends on those patches and mods.

Not gonna speak for everyone but I don't like it because It feels incomplete. I feel there's not enough content in the game to make me want to keep playing. It's frustrating too when you have to go to war and you didn't do anything. I rage quit my last game because 2 civs declared war on me and I didn't have enough units. I was building buildings instead of units.

Didn't hate it, got bored of it. It lacks the depth and challenge of previous incarnations.

A lot of people complain about replayability and I must admit if it wasn't for what the modding community comes up with then I would have gotten real bored with the vanilla version real early!

I just wish the devs would let us know what's going on like Stardock does with their customers and if we can even hope that there'll be major improvements in the future.

Failing that, just release the code already so that our talented modders can really get to work with the game!

Very few actually "hate" it. The latter term is often used in a loose sense in defensive reaction to someone not liking it, but hate, no thats rare. There has always been criticism on Version changes, particularly the knee jerk one about people always generalising over changes to prior Versions.

There is a lot of truth in the latter, many did just that, and soon after patches etc all settled. However this time round we have a different scenario, and previous bland assumptions about so called knee jerk moaning dont cut it. The game has been stripped down incredibly, by direct acknowledgement of the dev team.

The Culture and Spaceship options have been reduced to almost brain dead options, and the focus has been on military changes. Shafer stated explicitly that a lot of what they considered to be surplus and fluff has been stripped. Significantly in that "fluff" very little of it was militay.

From a gaming perspective it has - indesputedly - been simplified greatly. From a mass market appeal basis it has been much improved. So it depends where you sit in the whole gaming/warmongering/mass market camps as to wether or its all for the good. Many like me, have not come down on it in 15+ years of version changes, patches and packs. This time round it really is different, even Shafer acknowledged in a Polycast that one Primary aim of the Version release was "widening the fanbase".

A Version release success financially is never really known until the next release as the main income comes from pre-sale/those who dont really know the version. At present we are "living "off Civ IV's generally held phenominal reputation. I strongly suspect that by Civ 6 time, it will tank in Sales as mass market games need much more than a cut down Civ can give, and by then the shallow nature and low repeatability of Civ V in a traditional gamer sense will be well in the open. Such an evolution is common as long successful games get to aka version 4/5/6/7 et al - always exceptions of course - but by in large they morph into a mass market format. Civ has started down that sad road.

Regards
Zy

Civ5 is poorer than Civ4.
By poorer I mean less different ways of playing it well.
That's a fact, sadly.
Tomorrow I don't know. Anyway a game that was been MODified, by definition, is not the same
game.
And I do not hate anybody. And to hate a thing, I just cannot understand.

I don't hate Civ V. I don't like it because i won on deity, normal map with 8 civs after three weeks... And so on... And the multi is so bad (missing also hotseat and lan with the same account) that is not worth of be played with some opponents with a real brain (simuoltaneous turns? WTF??? ).

So if i was a noob at strategic games, or i have sucked it hard in the previous iterations of Civ even on low levels, maybe Civ V could be a game worth of be played...

In the meantime i play Football Manager 2011, No steam, niche game, no streamlined at all (very complex to be fair), but with the same number as Civ V on Steam stats. Pretty disapponting numbers for Civ, like someone said, but reality is: after 500k sales of a streamlined game, civ players now are only a bunch of casual, Civ 3 veterans, and haters of civ previous iteration due to complexity and difficulty....

No offense, but couldn't you just read the threads where people hate it? There's dozens of em :p

It just feels boring, it's too easy to warmonger with and offers nothing for the builder. In addition, it suffers from several bugs (3d map shows wrong terrain, ai declares war on you when you make a deal with it to attack someone else) that made me dump it.

Because it is not only weak in comparison with the direct predecessor, but it doesn't fulfill any of the advertisements made prior to release.

Not only is it mediocre on its own, even worse is that it is the proof that you can lie to your customers, go away with their money and even then there will be people defending the product and the producer's action. :rolleyes:

Actually I do like it a lot :)
I like the leaders and their behaviour much more and most of all I like that we have this one tile/one unit limit.

And, of course, I do know that it'll be come better and better with expansions and mods ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom