1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone hate CIV5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ProudAmerican, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mzrokks

Mzrokks Rammy VS the World

I love it too.
    DON'T SHOOT ME! DON'T SHOOT...AAAAAAAA! :p

2. nody

nody Emperor

Civilization V is like Civilization for Kids and most Civilization players are intelligent adults.

Just look at some of the things that are dumbed down or just plain 'deleted':

- More than one unit per tile deleted (feels more like a game of Chess now than a realistic world)
    - Espionage deleted
    - Citizen health deleted
    - Statistics-screen where you can compare yourself with other civs over the course of history
    - The ability for each Great Person to research a tech that is related to their profession
    - Growing cottages (which grow into towns eventually) are replaced by trading posts which don't grow
    - Religions deleted
    - Tech trading deleted and replaced by a 'tech agreement' (another example of dumbing it down)

3. taylor_cu

taylor_cu Chieftain

:goodjob:
    that is! ciV just suck :yuck:
    :lol::crazyeye::rotfl:

4. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

stopped reading there as that was such an "adult" thing to post...

Back to topic : Love civ 5, and nope i dont do the war thing, i love to get indepth with the game, try to play like my leader/race would have played in the real world, focussing my research towards what suits best, same for the policies.

Guess that makes me someone who doesnt min/max, wonder if that's where the problem is..
    Min/Maxers vs non-Min/Maxers.
    -J

5. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

I get bored of the combat. It just feels tedious.

Not to mention the graphics are awful.

6. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

How is 1UPT dumbing down? I 'dumbing down' to you just code for 'I don't like it'? In what was were stacks of doom signs of an intelligent game?

Agree about espionage

Health was like happiness.5, it didn't add anything the way it was impimented

Agree about cottages

Agree about religions

Trading a few technologies is hardly a sign of an intelligent game. It's hardly complex. If anything, research agreements are MORE complex.

7. charon2112

charon2112 King

You don't even own the game, and as far as I know nevr played it...so how can you make the below post?

And this is just preposterous, I'm a Civ veteran of almost twenty years and I find depth and a challenge in Civ V. But again, how do you know this is true, since you don't own the game?

8. charon2112

charon2112 King

Except for the two I removed, these are all reasons I like Civ V.

9. Montgomery V

Montgomery V Chieftain

I love the new civ5, but absolutly hate the fact that on earth map u have ramdom start locations grrr :mad:

10. Montgomery V

Montgomery V Chieftain

I love the new civ5, but absolutly hate the fact that on earth map u have ramdom start locations grrr :mad:

11. ArmChairAttila

ArmChairAttila Chieftain

I have won every game type there is. My game setup usually goes like this:
    Standard speed, standard map size, small continents, raging barbarians, quick combat, emperor.

My personal favorites that seem to make the games one level easier are:
    Mongols = domination victory. When I play as the Mongols and go for domination victory the game feels like I am playing king.
    Greeks = diplomatic victory. Seriously Alexander is probably the most overpowered race in the game. The Greeks make it feel like I am playing on prince.
    England/France = cultural victory. England is a bit tougher to go for cultural but with small continents activated and fast navy she can expand well to gain the resources she needs to compete. France just screams Utopian project and usually can get it faster than the rest.
    Russia = space race. Fast border expands with a over abundant source or strategic resource, cities on large plots of land make the Russians a must for space race.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all game types.

12. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

He doesn't need to own the game. Being a veteran and considering it deep and challenging yourself has nothing to do with the objective depth and challenge of the game. Please stop trolling and nitpicking other users.

13. charon2112

charon2112 King

Oh? He doesn't need to have actually played a game to comment on it? You can't possibly be serious. :rolleyes:

Stand by for my review of several books I haven't read, and a number of movies I haven't seen. But I read all about them on the inter-webs, so I know they're bad...

14. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Weren't you the guy that never played Civ IV yet was comparing it to Civ V post after post?

15. Revoran

Revoran Prince

Because some people really are fanatics. Honestly this Civ5 hate has turned into some sort of mob-mentality mass hysteria. It's like those people are holding pitchforks, torches and called out for witch's blood.

Some of them are really nuts, way overreacting. Although I dissagree with a lot of it I at least appreciate the ones who are logical, intelligent and not maniacal.

CiV5 has it's problems sure but it's a great game all the same and i'm sure will become a classic in time.

16. radiohodet

radiohodet Chieftain

I think a lot of people hate Civ5 because they think mathematics = strategy. Since they can't abuse things like:

- Tech trading
    - Slavery
    - GP farms
    - Science slider
    - Religion diplo modifiers
    - Axe rushes (now replaced by horse rushes, but for some reason hated by the same people who loved axe rushes)

If you just play to win using the cheesiest strategies you can, then I understand where they are coming from, since civ 5 is definately easier to beat if you go the easiest path, but I've won in way more fun and interesting ways in civ 5 than I ever did in civ 4, which I kind of feel like is the point with a game.

Now if they just fix diplomacy a bit (It's enough with 1 Montezuma) and improve the battle AI a lot.... I also agree about complaints about tile yield.

17. LordTC

LordTC Warlord

I also think they should have gone to a CTP style purchasable tile improvements for gold option, rather than workers. The way they did 1UPT is awkward, and messes things up badly for the AI, if they streamlined the process by reducing the number of non-combat units it would probably work far more smoothly.

Also getting rid of workers reduces a lot of the exploit stuff that goes on with the game.. why build workers when you can steal them :p

18. Kushluk

Kushluk Warlord

I just played a war game, and during those turns of warfare, the game shines.

However, during peacetime, it gets rather boring fast.

Happiness is broken, which is also super, super, super annoying. Did I tell you it's annoying?

19. pjdodd

pjdodd Chieftain

Just finished my first game on the Mac, played as Egypt (Wonder building bonus - me? a wonder whore? never! :) ).

Civ V is a stinker in the same way as the "change" (i.e. balls up) from Civ2 to Civ3 was a stinker.
    You could interchange "Civ V" for "Civ 3" in any of the below remarks

Civ V is shallow conceptually.
    Civ V is really dumbed down.
    Civ V is crude visually.
    Civ V is crass diplomatically.
    Civ V has a bad interface (too little information).
    Civ V battles/wars are obvious and boring.
    Civ V needs a complete re-think.

Additionally the hex system doesn't work, border control (or lack of) makes no sense.
    City States are ill concieved and are pretty useless until you are making a fortune or strong enough to wipe em out - I found they got in the way of a good dot map.

I'm going to try again as a different leader but am already planning too stay with Civ IV BTS until Civ 6 is out and hopefully a team will develop a non-Mickey Mouse style game.

20. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Everyone doesn't hate it. I like it for its modding aspects.

For me, it's not fun playing a scenario which isn't familiar historically.

The underlying root of the problem with Civ5 is that it was designed by a coder/programmer and not by a professional gamer.

Coders/programmers are good at what they do but they lack true gaming experience. They need a gaming professional with 30+ years of hardcore gaming like me to design Civ 6.

Coders/programmers should be the foot soldiers while the professional gamer is the General.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.