1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone hate CIV5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ProudAmerican, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charon2112

charon2112 King

@Peregrine: I'm going to highlight some passages of your previous post.

This couldn't possibly be less true. I don't know what forum you're referring to, but on this forum, it's Civ V's "detractors" that are the attack dogs. I have seen post after post anytime someone tries to talk about things that they like about Civ V, completely hijacked by Civ V detractors. The positive posters get ripped apart, ridiculed, nonsensical accusations made (like they are 2k employees, or that they've never played previous Civ games before, or that they're just unintelligent, or don't know how to play). Frankly, I lost count. The negative threads are just not attacked in this hostile way.

The motivation to defend comes from people actually liking the game. I personally post in defense because I see things posted that just aren't true. Posts which are personal opinion masquerading as "fact".

What you should say, is that it failed to deliver for you. For many, it delivered very well.

Well again, the game is not "bad"...you just don't like the direction it went in. Now, who do you think you are to expect a game maker to change their game to fit your personal definition of "good". If you have that right, then I have the right to expect the game makers to not change it, because I do think it's good. Why is your opinion of the game more valuable than mine?

To many, it was worth every one of those fifty dollars. And again, why should they change their game, just because Peregrine doesn't like it?

Their purpose seems to be complain until Firaxis changes the game to fit what they want, and ridicule any who disagree...again, why in the world should they change their game? Is your $50 worth more than mine?

Again, if you read the forums more closely, you'll see the "attack doggies" are not Civ V fans...

Being critical in a constructive way is great. When it becomes organized attacks, insulting people just because they like Civ V, that's a problem.

I completely understand why someone might hate civ V, and I can respect that opinion. That's not the problem, the problem is the unbelievable hostility directed towards Civ V and people who actually enjoy it.

You'll almost never hear someone who hates civ V, say that they understand why one could like it, and that they respect that opinion. That's just not how that camp operates.

This is one of many ridiculous accusations made regularly by Civ V "detractors". You've just proven my point that it isn't the fans that are attack dogs. You don't see nonsense like this posted by people that just want to talk about a game they enjoy.

2. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I can understand that people like the game, and I can understand people that don't like the game. I can understand that someone is not happy about paying $50 for a game and not liking it. Been there, done that. I absolutely do not understand anyone who states that "they hate a game".

There are lots of reasons people hate: racism, being a victim of a crime, etc... but a video game? Anybody who let's something like wasting money on a video games degenerate into hatred has serious issues. Either that or the term is being grossly misused in this thread.

For the record, I am also currently "bored" with Civ 5 but am hoping that the future patches will fix it up. If the patches don't then I am hoping that the MOD's will.

3. rujikin

rujikin Off raiding a city

Civ 5 Insulted my Waffles and I am mad as hell!!!

4. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

Heh, charon. First, you're posting in a thread whose topic is why people hate CIV5. You can't get indignant about people hating Civ 5 in that thread, unless I guess you think people just shouldn't say that at all on this board?

Second, let's look at what constructive topics are being hijacked by the terrible Civ 5 haters. Most recent active threads summarized below, with their respective levels of hijacked hateyness:

Who stopped playing? ( 1 2)
    (civ5 hate thread)
    Why does everyone hate CIV5? ( 1 2 3 4 5) (civ5 hate thread)
    Which leaders run away most often in your games? ( 1 2 3) (a normal, 'constructive' thread. many posts, nobody slamming civ 5)
    I miss the end of game summary (civ5 hate thread)
    Poll: Which Civ has least Merit to be included? (a normal thread. lots of arguing but nobody slamming civ 5)
    Immortal troops - the real problem with Civ 5 ( 1 2 3) (civ5 hate thread)
    Maybe I *have* been thinking of Civ5 the wrong way! ( 1 2 3 4 5) (civ5 hate thread)
    Poll: The Mod Browser: A success? (a normal thread. even though the feature under discussion seems to be semi-broken, nobody is slamming civ 5)
    Average age of gamers rising. Average complexity of games dropping. huh? ( 1 2) (civ5 hate thread)
    If we could be "a fly" on the wall .... (civ5 hate thread)
    Poll: What are you playing until the next patch? ( 1 2 3 4 5) (civ5 hate thread)
    I know why the AI sucks with out the abilty to cheat (civ5 hate thread)
    what no slavery (civ5 hate thread, although it starts as just a guy asking why something was left out, and a reply sneering at him in defense of civ5 sets off the hate)
    Who else is really mad? ( 1 2) (civ5 hate thread)

So what's actually going on? The board isn't full of discussions about how great Civ 5 is. It's mostly full of anger and disappointment about Civ 5. The few threads talking about it in a positive way have been left alone by the 'haters'.

So why are you so oversensitive to the very idea that this game you enjoy is disliked by a lot of people?

5. charon2112

charon2112 King

I never said that the board was full of positive discussions...but the few that exist are quickly hi-jacked.

:lol::lol::lol:
    oookay.

Like I said already, I don't care if people dislike the game...but being insulting to people that do like it is not ok. And clogging up the forum with duplicate hate threads is not okay either.

6. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

In fact, it's those who dislike Civ 5 who have to put up with sanctimonious crap in the threads in which we'd like to share our mutual disappointment. Count the threads, and almost every one of them includes this great feature. Why do YOU feel the need to come in here and yell at us, when we aren't doing the same to you at all?

7. charon2112

charon2112 King

This is just not true. You need to read more threads. Look at the ones posting positively about Civ V right after it was released. Right around the time you created your account actually...did you create the account just to complain in this forum?

Moderator Action: stop the trolling
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

8. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

oookay? Go look. Point me to the numerous threads that started as a positive discussion and were hijacked into civ 5 hating, because I honestly can hardly remember ever seeing any, certainly none lately. I couldn't FIND any on the first page of the board.

I'm not trying to Win On The Internet here, I'm trying to point out that maybe you're mistaken about this, because I really would enjoy a non-hostile discussion with people who like Civ 5. I am curious what they see in it, not to put them down for liking it, but to see what I might have missed in it.

9. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

It's why i been visiting this forum less, and keep comming back to check it out.
    You would think after a few weeks the haters would just move on right?

The forum as a whole as a civ 5 discussion forum is rightnow just filled with slagging on civ 5, almost no tactic discussions or other discussions, it's just one stream of whining how people hate civ 5... that... is so 2 months ago.

10. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Chieftain

Its simply to easy to rush the AI early on :)

11. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

The "positive" posters got rippded apart since their arguments are weak, to say the least.

If the patch announcements are correct, the developers are already changing their game, following exactly the line of thoughts of the "haters". And to a certain degree, they have already done so in past patches.
    This seems to indicate that it has been the "haters" who were right in their analysis of the game's strengths and weaknesses.
    Once again, they are already changing their game. Why, in the world, would they do so, if the complaints would only be "hating"?

Why should they do so?

The game is still in a state in which it needs improvement.
    As long as these improvements are not delivered, the "hating" (aka complaints) will just go on, and rightfully so.
    What kind of tactics should be discussed?
    As long as their is just one dominant strategy, there isn't much to discuss.

12. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Same here - or if I do, it's not to complain or tell people they're wrong for having fun. I'm a reasonable guy; I don't take anyone else enjoying the game as a personal insult. If you like it, I'm glad. :) And if you guys who are enjoying the game feel like you can't discuss it without "the haters" trashing all your threads, why aren't you reporting those posts? If it was as bad as you claim, there'd be violations everywhere, and there aren't.

If anything, some of the threads could be consolidated, sure. But I still don't see evidence of "all or nearly all positive threads getting ripped apart by THE HATERS."

Also, protip: if you don't like the way people treat you on CFC, try treating them better. If you're constantly sniping at "The Haters" in threads like these, complaining that they should all "go back to Civ 4 if you love it so much" or "move on and quit ruining CFC" and all that... are you really surprised that they treat you the same way you treat them? Quit playing the victim card and start taking some control over your situation.

I think there's some truth to that, unfortunately. The last week or two, seems like there's been a rash of new posts in that vein from CFC members that I haven't seen in similar threads before.

13. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Moderator Action: @all: please stop discussing each other or each other's posting style and return to discussing the game.

14. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

They're paid by Wikileaks or something. Astroturfing works both ways, right? :lol:

15. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I like Civ V, but you make three very valid points. I think Civ V is an improvement on Civ IV, but they did take out some things I would have liked to see remain. My biggest peeve is that there is almost no difference between between tiles any longer, except for the ones with strategical or luxury resources. Learning the significance of food resources or the difference between grassland and plains shouldn't be too difficult for even the rawest necomer to the game, and anyway, those things don't matter much on the easier settings.

Mind you, I think being able to irrigate the hills is a good idea, and quite realistic too. Not that realism is the end-all and be-all of any Civ game.

I emphatically do not miss the spies that swarmed like vermin, or the corporations, or religion the way it was implemented in Civ IV. It made the rather primitive diplomacy system even worse. But when they produced Civ V they did simplify the game too much, and they clearly, as you say, catered too much to the warmongers. So I hope they will introduce/reintroduce some stuff, by which I don't mean I want a new, slightly embellished version of Civ IV.

16. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

Yeah start a thread of the things you like of the game and why you like them over other design choices...

Until now i have seen you only post to shut up eho make complains, critics and design ideas....

The ones who need to start positive threads are you and the loving squadron, no who is bored or doesn't like some civ V choices...

Moderator Action: with @all I meant all:

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

The same here. Some people make valid complaints about Civ V (there are many valid complaints to make, though some of them cancel each other out), but others simply seem determined to denounce anyone who enjoys the game and to spoil every discussion of the game by turning it into a flamefest.

The same thing happened when Civ III appeared and when Civ IV appeared. The bile is amazing and the energy some people put into a purely negative activity is mind-numbing.

18. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

read the post above. start the discussion threads, not only complain about complains in the complaining tread;)

19. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Moderator Action: just to reiterate one more time: You are welcome to discuss the game in this thread you are not welcome to discuss how you feel others are discussing the game.

20. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

You have posted in at least one "I like Civ V" thread" - this one. Didn't you read the OP?

I like Civ V despite its obvious flaws, which have been stated too many times for me to feel a need to repeat them. I can understand that some people find it boring. Tastes differ, and there *are* issues with Civ V. What I don't understand is the constant need to start hate threads about a game one doesn't like. I never post threads anywhere about NASCAR. That example is not intended as a troll, just as an example which happens to be applicable to me personally. I could be someone who enjoys driving cars, but that wouldn't force me to spend a lot of time denouncing people whose idea of fun with cars differ widely from mine.

In fact, what I truly enjoy is travelling by pogo stick.

I'd like to add an apology for discussing other people's posting styles. I'm afraid I hadn't read all the posts (including the moderator's warning) when I did that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.