[GS] Why does it take more turns to research sailing?

Lily_Lancer

Deity
As Indonesia I settled on coast, triggered to sailing eureka. On online speed sailing costs 25 so there shall be 15 science left. I have 2.6 science per turn so 6 turns shall be enough.

However, it shows that I have 7 turns to go for sailing. Why?
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 8.10.26 AM.png

Reduced from 50% to 40% @Peng Qi
Good question. I did notice the other day that there seemed to be a turn delay on things in general, sort of like it is assessing science before adding the turns science values. I noticed it with expecting a pantheon on a turn but it came a turn later. I just thought I was imagining things. But that would not explain 7 turns to go.

Last edited:
Reduced from 50% to 40% @Peng Qi

Good question. I did notice the other day that there seemed to be a turn delay on things in general, sort of like it is assessing science before adding the turns science values. I noticed it with expecting a pantheon on a turn but it came a turn later. I just thought I was imagining things. But that would not explain 7 turns to go.
I noticed this as well but cant remember specifically where it happened. In my case it was just a calculation update that happened only after I hit next turn or something like that.

So does it actually take 7 turns in the end to finish researching Sailing?

Normal Speed - 30 science after the eureka - 2.6 science (not on the Mercury) is 12 turns so looks OK
upload_2019-10-6_15-59-39.png

Online speed shows 7
upload_2019-10-6_16-4-9.png

After 6 turns online speed science looks like this
upload_2019-10-6_16-6-47.png

Looks like it may be down to how it deals with online and rounding, perhaps even the completion is dealt with differently from what science is in the buffer.
I could test over more and chancge values but certainly looks wrong and be reported.

Normal Speed - 30 science after the eureka - 2.6 science (not on the Mercury) is 12 turns so looks OK
View attachment 536124

Online speed shows 7
View attachment 536125

After 6 turns online speed science looks like this
View attachment 536126

Looks like it may be down to how it deals with online and rounding, perhaps even the completion is dealt with differently from what science is in the buffer.
I could test over more and chancge values but certainly looks wrong and be reported.

I guess I find the reason (and also why inspiration provides only ~35% instead of 40% on online speed)

1: The science/culture provided by eureka/inspiration is always an integer.
2: It always rounds down.
3: Due to some issues on rounding, on online speed it actually calculates 25*0.4=9.9999 science instead of 10.
4: Then the eureka value rounds down, so a eureka of sailing only provides 9 instead of 10 science.
5: The remainder 16 takes 7 turns to complete.

This also applies to inspiration so the first two inspirations only provide 20*0.4-1=7 culture instead of 8 on online speed.

6: Same problem may also applies to other speeds that inspiration and eurekas are down by 1. (However not that important, but on online speed every 1 point counts)

Top Bottom