1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does map generation make these long horizontal coastlines

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by criZp, Apr 11, 2019.

1. criZp

criZp Warlord

Like at the top and bottom of the map in these pictures. It looks so silly and unnatural. Anyone else a little annoyed by this?

20190405154030_1.jpg
    20190405154039_1.jpg

2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Continents script is crazy and does that sometimes... I avoid most of it by always using High Sea... not a guarantee, but increases the chances of more real-life looking conts... same for Fractal.

3. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I think some part of the generation attempts to leave an aquatic path on some continents.

4. Naeshar

Naeshar Chieftain

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Nope but yes, another reason not to play. They appear to have decided to block off circumnavigation to try and force you to use canals or melt ice. It’s just rubbish and the game makers being gamey IMO.
    You can play Pangea and not bother or you can play continents and be restrained in enjoying the map because it is not continents and longer, it is ocean stripes.

6. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

The "continents" setting is really bad. Usually it produces exactly two continents, a big dull splodge in the west and another in the east. Consider the real world - seven continents, and they all have detailed and interesting shapes. How can one get something like this? "Earth" gives you the same geography over and over, while "island plates" gives you tectonically improbable snaky land masses.

7. Bradypus

Bradypus Chieftain

Someone posted that he had good results from playing L size Island Plates. I tried it out and I have to agree. Those maps are exciting.

8. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

All GS games I played apart from one had the possibility to circumnavigate the world, there was almost always a passage.
    What I don't like is the predictibility of continents maps. 2continents, none to extremely few islands. Always. Fractal often leads to landmasses completely connected via 1tile passages - thx to the new mountain distribution they get blocked sometimes now - well better than nothin'. And shuffle far too often results in pangea which I find boring.. Omissions aren't possible here either - like all types shuffle but without pangea...

9. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

It seems that the script generates land from bottom to the top, but then the features are placed i.e. polar ice, that simply override it. You can clearly see that there is not much tundra and it ends abruptly.
    Pre-GS there was a bit less ice I think, so less land was cut.
    In GS it seems that devs simply added more ice, and forgot about adjusting the actual land, so it won't get cut.

Btw, is it a modded map or a standard one? Imho, that world doesn't look like a standard continents script.

10. criZp

criZp Warlord

It is a standard map, I don't play modded maps

11. Danthor

Danthor Chieftain

I always play Fractal

12. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Chieftain

archipelego is also kinda borked for map gen. many places they've joined the islands trying to force you to make canals.

mapgen is kinda... weird. (pangea, well yeah. ONE big landmass. anything else.. umf)

13. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

It does now. :D

Again, I insist: many of the oddities in the map scripts can be compensated (partially) by using High Seas. It makes for more interesting games also, regardless of map type option.

14. jaget80

jaget80 Chieftain

Oh boy that was really ugly. I suggest playing with
    detailed worlds' mixed continents.