1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does missile cruiser(information era unit) need coal?

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by rp03ev, Mar 21, 2018.

1. rp03ev

rp03ev Chieftain

It's an information era unit and last in the naval melee unit. Why does it need coal instead of oil or aluminium? Is it suppose to be like this for balance purposes or my tech tree glitched?

Anyone know what file I need to edit and to what if I want it make it need oil instead of coal?

Thanks.

2. Rekk

Rekk King

It's coal because Ironclads need coal, and it's difficult for the AI to switch from coal to oil. I don't know how this is different from the change from cavalry (horses) to light tanks (oil).

3. rp03ev

rp03ev Chieftain

ok so it is for balance purposes then so its easier for the ai?

4. Rekk

Rekk King

Yes.

5. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

The AI suffer from it, but there is not a lot of better solutions:
    1) Replacing oil by horses is too weird, and would make oil too bad
    2) Stopping the horse unit at some point (and tanks being a new line) is worse, because "no upgrade" is more difficult to undestand than "upgrade with different ressource"
    3) Creating new units to complete the horse line toward information era is out of the question (too many new units, and no historical reason to do so)

Note that the existance of the Agribusines help the transition. Having a building needing horses help the AI to progressively replace horse units by buildings.

Hinin likes this.
  6. Rekk

Rekk King

With coal specifically, it's also awkward that if Ironclad coal upgraded to Destroyer oil, coal would only be used for one unit, for one era, across the entire game. At that point, why bother even requiring Ironclads to need coal? Coal could be necessary only for buildings, and the Ironclad line could require, for example, .... Iron. This puts melee ships in direct competition for resources with ranged ships, however.