1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my cavalry destroy captured towns?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by handy900, Sep 8, 2003.

1. handy900

handy900 Chieftain

I was playing a game last night and taking over towns after bombarding them. I was using artillery to bombard & then cavalry to finish off the infantry defenders after they were down to 1 HP. In my experience I've noticed that sometimes I would be allowed to conquer a city that had been bombarded down to 1 citizen. On other occasions my cavalry would destroy the city. In the past I wondered *WHY* some cities would remain standing for conquering while others were destroyed. It never really mattered that much to me until I conquered a city that had Adam Smith's Trading company in it. Much to my dismay, the city was destroyed and the wonder along with it. :cry:

So my questions is this: after you bombard a city down to 1 pop point, why are some cities destroyed by my cavalry while others cities remain? Does it have anything to do with how big a city is before the bombarding begins?

2. Mano3

Mano3 Chieftain

I've seen this happen too. To me, it seems that the longer the city has been around, the better chance it has of not being destroyed.

This is just a big guess....

3. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I think they stick around if they have a wonder in them.

4. SolarFlare

SolarFlare Privateer at large

I don't think it has to do with improvements and wonders. Possibly population and how long ago it was founded.

5. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Chieftain

IIRC If a city has 1 population & no culture points it's auto-razed.

Although I can honestly say I've never actually captured a 1 pop city, they always get raized for me*shrug*

6. Svar

Svar Chieftain

Cities with 0 culture and size 1 are destroyed. Everything else should lose 1 population point when captured except population point 1 cities with culture that remain population 1 cities.

7. handy900

handy900 Chieftain

The city in question had Adam Smith's in it & I think it had expanded borders. I'm at work now so I can't confirm, but Adam Smith's produces at least a little culture, doesn't it?

Until this one event I had never seen a city with a wonder get razed. This was in GOTM (#23) so maybe the GOTM mods had something to do with it (but I kinda doubt it).

8. SolarFlare

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3wonders.shtml

Smith Trading Post = 3cpt.

It's possible the city was just building it (easily mistaken on the wonders screen). Or had just finished it the previous turn, thus having earned no culture from it yet.

9. Trev

Trev Chieftain

Wonders produce culture for the original civ that builds it. If the city had been captured by another civ after the wonder has been completed, then it may well have no culture points current for the 2nd owner and therefore can be autorazed I think

10. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Actally, the turn that a culture producing building is finished, the builder already receives culture points for it. So, I'm afraid the second option you give is not possible...

11. Grille

Grille panel insect

In vanilla, pop 1 towns are auto-razed when they have not had a border expansion yet (they may have 9 culture points and get auto-razed).
    There are exceptions that a pop 1 town w/o an actual expansion would not get auto-razed. Either the town had accumulated enough culture for an expansion under the rule of another civ, or (I'm 99% sure on this) when you capture a pop 1 town (that never had any expansion under any rule) - where a citizen of (*at least*) other nationality than the current owner's - lives:
    It appears that capturing a size one town (w/o any expansion ever) with a citizen of your nationality would not get auto-razed.

12. handy900

handy900 Chieftain

Thanks to you all for your very beneficial comments. I learned alot about auto-razing. You can bet in the future I'll pay alot more attention to the cultural borders before I bombard a town down to 1 pop point!

13. Grille

Grille panel insect

Could you tell if that Smith town had ever had any border extension? Also, maybe you captured it from a civ that has not built Smith's on its own? Possibly that other civ took the town before the border expaned once and did not build own culture.

14. SolarFlare

Yeah if you capture a wonder you get a grand total of zero culture from it.

15. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

To confirm what Grille said:

If a size 1 city has any culture in it will not get auto-raised. It does not need to be culture from the current occupier.

A city can have culture from the first civ that builds it, then the city can be captured and the original civ dies out. The only culture in the city is from a dead civ, yet that city can never be auto-razed.

Where I say "any" culture, I do of course mean 1 culture point in some patches and 10 in others (they changed the 'min culture' requirement between patches, more than once).

Also, a city with one of your citizens in it can not be auto-razed by you.