1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does nearly everyone here prefer civdos over win civ?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by stwils, Jul 31, 2011.

1. stwils

stwils Emperor

I have kept all my old computers so I can play all versions of civ 1. But I can't understand why the majority here prefer civ dos.

I love the music that is in civ net. It is far more complete. I don't use it to play online.

Do you prefer the old dos version for nostalgic reasons? please explain to me why nearly all of you prefer it.

Stwils

2. Diviner

Diviner Prince

I had always been playing with CivDOS since my little childhood. Man, that time beating Chieftain was a great challenge and Warlord seemed to be impossible... I just do not feel the need to change, maybe its the memories, my history with this version. I didn't know CivWin exists until I got Intenet in 2005. Additionally the looks of CivDOS are more appealing to me than CivWin's. The colourful, expressive graphics are fine to me. They have always been fine to me. And I really can't accept that they reshuffled the Civ colours :)

About the sounds you are totally right, I never turn sounds on in CivDOS. I usually play with custom music.

3. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

Probably a mixture of

1. Familiarity

2. Graphical preferences

3. Compatibility (Both then and now you need extra software to run CivWin)

4. Performance (It was easier to run CivDOS at full speed than CivWin in the early 90s)

4. Theov

Theov Deity

I prefer winciv. Runs faster, don't know why else.