why does the AI never take my threats seriously?

wilshire

Chieftain
i have never had the AI acquiesce to my threats or demands. even when i have a sizable military advantage over them, they always balk at demands. what gives?

Well, would you give in to their demands/threats?

It is a part of the system, if what they lose is nothing bad, or you've been at war with them before, they'll accept some things, but if you say ask for an expensive tech or a lot of gold, they'll tell you to shove it.

I find that demanding gets minimal rewards but renegotiating an existing peace treaty can be a lot more profitable. I've gained techs and towns via this method on a regular basis when I'm relatively strong.

In case you are not sure how to do this, you go to the negotiating screen for that leader, click on 'existing deals' and the peace treaty will show. Click on it and then suggest a deal. Note that your advisor will ask if you are sure to renegotiate peace, as the result of leaving this screen without an agreed deal is war! Also note that you can only do this once every 20 turns (the length of a PT). If you still have turns left on an existing PT it will have a number by it and you will have to wait to renegotiate peace. You can still make demands in the meantime though.

I always think it sucks that the AI will demand a tech (like Republic!!!) and declare if you dont' give it, but if you are way stronger than them, they will never give it up. I don;t mind giving up 20-50 gold, and I'll give up extra luxes if I need to, though it's a pain, but getting republic demanded of me sucks.

In regards to Tone, I have started to do this recentl, but every now and again I come upon a civ that refuses to give me anything in return for an extension of a peace treaty, and, in fact, refuses to accept it straight up! So I have to give 10 or 20 gold just to avoid war against a much weaker foe...

Stupid AI.

The greatest thing about republic is that it comes way sooner than Communism or Fashism. The second thing that's good about republic is +1 commerce in each tile that makes a commerece. Thats like a 30% or more commerce increase. But I think if communism was the first government you learned, that would be the government of choice. Simply because switching more than once in a competitive game is really really horrible for you. To get to commie you need to switch to rep/monarchy then again to communism. Thats 2 whole anarchy periods, thats one more than I am willing to handle, escpecially since the communism tech comes at prime war time and having all my cities out of commision for 6-9 turns is unacceptable.

If you are a religious civ though, then I prefer communism also.

I find that demanding gets minimal rewards but renegotiating an existing peace treaty can be a lot more profitable. I've gained techs and towns via this method on a regular basis when I'm relatively strong.

That's my experience as well (sans the towns part).

You may ask...

:)

I guess I never asked for them.

And we are talking about renegotiating peace treaties, aren't we?

I've gotten towns in a peace treaty though.

Oops. I forgot that we're talking about renegotiating peace treaties. I was just thinking in terms of what the AI will give for peace. I've so rarely renegotiated peace that I'm somewhat in the dark there.

:)

It was probably hard to tell from the context, but the quote I made from Tone's post said renegotiate.

Try it some time, but be fairly sure that you are the strongest!

I will try renegotiating to get towns or tech sometime. It's just that, well, if I'm fairly sure I'm the strongest, I don't typically want peace!
True, but then again you don't always want to be fighting everyone and if that does happen, you want them to declare on you so that at least you get a fair bit of War Fever.

I tend to renegoitaite peace with civs that I don't want a war with in the near future but that are comparatively weak. They may be too far away to bother with or I may just have juicier targets to strike first. If the worst comes to the wors, I'll still be able to agree some sort of treaty with them if I don't actually want to fight. I don't think that it's good for your AI attitude rating though so don't do it when you finally go for that Diplo game, Aabra! ;)

Strangely enough, I've only had AI give in to a threat when they are polite of gracious, they say oh well this time an give up, but if furious they never give in.

Top Bottom