1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does the AI not attack Barb Settlers and Workers?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DrJambo, Oct 23, 2017.

1. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

The AI civs just ignore them. Makes for some easy pickings for us humans, and it probably explains why sometimes the AI doesn't expand well in the beginning....

Still, I assume it's a bug...

Zuizgond likes this.
  2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Actually the Barb settlers and builders were captured from the AI.....They haven't really been ignoring them as their utter inability to guard them.

I've noticed the AI getting slightly better at protecting settlers, but it is still bad.

This is yet another reason to nerf Barbarians though.

3. Klinn

Klinn Chieftain

I've seen AI civs recapture settlers from the barbarians, and City States grab them too. But it's a pretty rare event. If it's not presented to them on a silver platter, they don't bother.

I wish it worked like it did in Civ 5 so that when we capture a stolen settler, we have the option to return it to the original civ (or to a city state for workers) for a diplomatic boost.

Victoria likes this.
  4. isau

isau Chieftain

I think Firaxis just needs to throw in the towel and make Settlers escape from combat like Great People do. The AI is just never going to be good at dealing with this, and it makes higher level difficulties actually somewhat easier because the AI is so bad at guarding the extra settler it gets as a bonus.

PYITE likes this.
  5. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

1000x no. There are plenty of balanced ways to approach the issue which don't remove one of the best early game challenges.

I personally prefer Settlers turning into Builders when captured. But the AI do recapture them, although I think their motivation to do so should probably be higher.

Spicer and PYITE like this.
  6. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

It shouldn't be persistently sending them to those areas in the first place. I understand when I find one settler in the area with heavy barb presence. But when I find 5... C'mon, you already know there are hordes of barbs there, deal with them first, or go settling in a different direction!

7. oedali

oedali Chieftain

I agree, which is why I use the Settlers Retreat mod which does exactly that.

8. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

I take it you've never been forward settled? Gonna be very annoying if they just keep coming back like the mindless walking dead.

9. oedali

oedali Chieftain

They will keep coming back regardless but if you let them retreat at least the AI is not constantly wasting its hammers on building more settlers... Sad I know but its the lesser of two evils

10. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I wish I'd taken screenshots, but one was so bad it was funny.

There were two Spanish cities on an island and during my early exploration I noticed a barb settler and worker roaming around them. I dutifully sent across a knight to capture them, not even giving a second thought that they'd actually still BE there when I landed. Surprisingly after 10 or more turns travelling they were indeed still alive and kicking, and when I landed the barb units proceeded to 'hide' inside the Spanish borders preventing me from capturing them unless I decided declared war on Spain.

In the end I had to lure them out by moving away out of sight. Each turn I'd track back to see if they'd moved out or not, and eventually I captured them both. Meanwhile the Spanish were oblivious to these gold mines hiding within their borders...

11. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

Why not just get Open Borders and capture them on Spanish territory?

12. Spudsie74

Spudsie74 Chieftain

:spear:Well... thy sure attack mine, but I'm always glad that they leave AI troops alone, as the barb settlers/workers are easy pickings. God (the one true one, which belong to my faith) help us if they actually used them to found settlements, or put a wall around their came. (That opens a whole new can 'o worms w/barb techs).

13. Spicer

Spicer Chieftain

Getting back on topic, I experienced what the OP is talking about yesterday, and this is something that never happened to me prior to the Fall update:
    Upon discovering England, I found 1 barbarian settler and 1 barbarian builder two hex from London and NO other barbarian units in sight.
    England had several military units roaming the countryside but my scout just walked in and claimed both civilians.

I've no idea how long the settler and builder had stood there but clearly it had been long enough for England to eventually dispatch the barb military units that stole those in the first place. Weird