1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does tourism NOT produce gold?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by pthieu1986, Jul 21, 2013.

1. pthieu1986

pthieu1986 Warlord

As the title, tourism is a big money maker to any civ in reality but not in BNW? How about +1gold per 1 tourism point?

2. Qbone

Qbone Chieftain

Brazil would become the new Venice, if that were the case. Hitting +800-1000 Tourism late game is not so complicated, honestly. I do agree that Tourism should improve your income somehow.

3. Zilkin

Zilkin Chieftain

Last thing this game needs is even more ways to make gold.

4. Goldkoron

Goldkoron Chieftain

0.5 gold per tourism would be fair, and give culture empires some decent means of making gold

5. Cissnei

Cissnei Warlord

Yes. I think tourism should produce gold too.

6. CommunistCookie

CommunistCookie Chieftain

Culture empires don't have any gold problems, they have just as much access to trade routes as everyone else. 0.5 would be ridiculous for the latter half of the game.

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

There should be a way for tourism to generate money, yes. Maybe a policy choice?

8. CivJunkie68

CivJunkie68 Chieftain

9. Yrrebnot

Yrrebnot Chieftain

pretty much any gold for tourism income would be a massive advantage for a culture Civ
    they would have to give military or faith civs something as well to make up for that then we would be awash with cashed up ai's who want to destroy everything!

10. Twahn

Twahn Chieftain

Agreed

11. Twahn

Twahn Chieftain

Yes, but those are your decisions that have led to that (eg masses of useless roads, no trade routes, many small cities).

I've personally never had a problem earning 50-100+ gold per turn throughout the entire game and easily match my G&K gold outputs, if not exceed them.
    I think anyone playing to the new mechanics would be the same.

12. Yrrebnot

Yrrebnot Chieftain

This
    Made
    Me
    LOL

13. WC4J

WC4J Chieftain

Maybe the gold/tourism should be scaled based on the era. This would also encourage players to develop tourism early on (I tend to procrastinate until later, when the modifiers from wonders can make Great Works more valuable).

So, maybe 1.5 gold/ tourism in the Ancient and Classical eras, 1/tourism in the Medieval, increasing eventually to 0 in the modern eras. It might not be historically accurate, though you could make the claim that it was the wealthy aristocrats who visited tourist sites in the olden days, while today, tourist attractions also cost mega-bucks to maintain.

14. Twahn

Twahn Chieftain

Wasn't the whole premise of this idea to make it more "historically accurate"? If you're adding gold to tourism and then having to make dubious justifications for your system being a reflection of reality at all... Then aren't you really just shoehorning gold in to tourism for the hell of it?

15. WC4J

WC4J Chieftain

Yeah...
    But clearly, if gold were applied to tourism (which, I personally see not too much reason for there to be--there are plenty of gold-oriented civs such as Portugal and Morocco which can net you many thousands even before the WC is founded), it would no doubt have to be a diminishing return system. When you're dealing with 1000 tourism you cannot be getting 1 gold per tourism point; that would be worth one city state ally (factory) per turn!

Alternatively, gold bonuses from tourism could be linked to certain buildings; zoos, stadiums perhaps, but not coliseums, to make it fair (as tourists visit major attractions in addition to the Great works). This would effectively reduce maintenance on happiness buildings, something that would be much appreciated.

16. Yrrebnot

Yrrebnot Chieftain

i suppose they could make tourism production of a city factor into the GPT from a trade route, could be minor (like .25 per tourism or even less) or perhaps 0.5 for every great work (this would be slightly less than .25 per tourism) This would go both ways so as not to over advantage one player too much

17. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

GPT from a city x (0,5 x tourism of that city). Or just 0,5 per great work, that seems great

18. JtW

JtW Prince

I think what they could do is add the Tourism output of cities to the formula calculating the income of trade routes somehow.

19. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

And that would break the game.....

20. whiplash27

whiplash27 Chieftain

Doing it per great work/world wonder would work better. That way you strip out all of the UA and building multipliers. Even if you did it at 1 or 2 gold per great work/world wonder, I can't imagine a person being able to make more than 100 or so gpt out of it.