Why does Windows do this to me?

hbdragon88

haunted by blackness
I disable Universal Plug and Play. Later, when I install SP2 and 24 critical updates, I go into services.msc and find that UPnP is enabled again. This is almost as bad as the time they set "Automatic Updates" to ON, when I had them set to manual. Why must they screw with my computer like so?

Aside from Padma's eloquently-put reason, is that 'most' people aren't exactly power-users. Its easier to let people who know what they're doing to turn things off, than try to get the less technically-inclined to turn things on - remember, there's users who ring tech support to ask where the "any" key is; users who don't know what a "double-click" is. How do you expect these people to enable automatic updates or enable uPnP? :crazyeye:

What ainwood said is very true. MS sets various things to certain default settings, which they deem is best for the (below-)average user. If you know how to reset things to your liking, they won't stop you from doing so. But, as you've noticed, they *will* set it back to their default next time they update.

Wait, so they really think that Universal Plug n' Play is actually good for the average user? AFAIK, nothing uses UPnP for now, and yet they have it installing and running by default? They're asking for another MS01-059 to be discovered, and the scores of computers running this sucker (enabled by default, and re-enabled for me by some bastard update) will surely be hit should an exploit crash through the web.

Padma said:
You don't own Windows software, MS does. You are just "renting" it. If you read the EULA, they reserve the right to screw you over anytime they want.

Nicely put. Nicely put. :lol: :lol:

hbdragon88 said:
Wait, so they really think that Universal Plug n' Play is actually good for the average user? AFAIK, nothing uses UPnP for now, and yet they have it installing and running by default?

so far not many appliances use it, but once they do, it'd be too much hassle for MS to explain everybody how to turn it on. so they just turn it on by default, the same way they do it with ever other useless "feature" ;)

Gaaah! *kicks Microsoft*

Somewhere along the way they set updates to "Automatic" (I KNOW it wasn't that option a few days ago), so they installed the updates and now they're asking me every ten minutes if I want to restart or not. Not only that, they give me five minutes before they will restart. Jesus. NO MEANS NO. Men can go to jail for this crap...I think it's time for me to move OSes.

Well you need to restart sometime, but i fail to understand why they insist you do it right away. Youve lived without that update for a while now, im sure another hour wont kill my PC...
But its still the best OS for the average user, and the average user makes up the majority of those who will pay hundreds for it.

It's almost as bad as the message when you receive a file over MSN that says, "Windows has determined that this file is unsafe and will block access to it."

Yeah, cheers for that Windows, had I actually listened to that Jennifer Paige mp3 my friend sent me I might have gone insane.

(PS. how the hell do you turn that off??)

Padma said:
What ainwood said is very true. MS sets various things to certain default settings, which they deem is best for the (below-)average user. If you know how to reset things to your liking, they won't stop you from doing so. But, as you've noticed, they *will* set it back to their default next time they update.

Amen, brother! :lol:

Mise said:
It's almost as bad as the message when you receive a file over MSN that says, "Windows has determined that this file is unsafe and will block access to it."

Yeah, cheers for that Windows, had I actually listened to that Jennifer Paige mp3 my friend sent me I might have gone insane.

(PS. how the hell do you turn that off??)

Use something other than MSN, like Trillian. I had MSN installed for all of 30 seconds just so I could activate my account.

Top Bottom