Why don't 'City States' build improvements such as a dam, etc..

jwolf713

Chieftain
Why don't 'City States' build improvements such as a dam on the river, a flood dam?. Is there a way to make them do it, or do it yourself and do it for them?
Of course, if they have access to the river or they are on the coast, etc.

Last edited:
I think they only build district that are of their type, and if they are on coast, harbor. So no aqueduct or dam.

They definitely built neighborhoods, at least. I don't see why they couldn't build other non-speciality districts

Because AI is apparently hard

Oh My God I am trying to picture this team having to code an AI for an open world FPS like Fallout

City states definitely can build multiple specialty districts:

City_state_district.jpg

Interesting... I've never seen AI CS built one.
Me either. I've never seen a city-state with a separate district type unless maybe it was liberated and was built by the civ that previously conquered it.

City states definitely can build multiple specialty districts:

View attachment 592605
They do build a harbor if they are on the coast. Other than that they build districts of their type: relgious will only build a holy site, scientific city-state, like Taruga, will only build a campus etc.

I've seen city-states build Neighborhoods but only when they have a lot of population. Personally, I would love for city-states to build damns because it is really annoying to settle on near a floodplain but the only titles that can have a dam are ones controlled by the CS so you have to deal with constant floods.

To be honest, I have seen citystates building dams to be honest. I just don't have a picture of it now because I considered it normal but I have definitely seen them building them.

To be honest, I have seen citystates building dams to be honest. I just don't have a picture of it now because I considered it normal but I have definitely seen them building them.
And wasn't this city previously conquered by some civilization and later liberated by another?

They can't build flood barier, in late game their tiles lost to climate change, including luxury resources :(

And wasn't this city previously conquered by some civilization and later liberated by another?

Nope, I am sure because it was a citystate next to me so if it got conquered I would have seen it but it was also quite a long time ago (closer to the release of GS then to the release of NFP)

Because AI is apparently hard

Oh My God I am trying to picture this team having to code an AI for an open world FPS like Fallout

I get that it’s popular here to insinuate the developers are stupid and can’t “code” but City-States not building other districts is actually a purposeful design choice. So not only are you wrong, but the way you’re conveying your distaste in this thread is also quite rude - remember the human when you offer criticism of any game publicly. The developers read this forum too, and not only is it childish to talk down to them like this, it probably makes everyone less likely to take you seriously.

Now, regarding the districts:
As a poster above said, City-States can only make their type specialty district plus harbors (maybe aqueducts and neighborhoods too, I forget). All other districts are purposefully not included in their valid build list. Why? I’m not sure but I think it has something to do with trying to keep them able to defend themselves better. By limiting what they can build, they’re then forced to focus more on defensive buildings and units which can help them hold off attacks from civs.

So it’s not an “AI” thing whatsoever. It’s a design choice and it can actually be modded very easily. In my personal mod, I allow City-States to build everything except government districts. I believe the City-States Expanded mod also allows it.

Last edited:
I get that it’s popular here to insinuate the developers are stupid and can’t “code” but City-States not building other districts is actually a purposeful design choice. So not only are you wrong, but the way you’re conveying your distaste here is also quite rude - remember the human when you offer criticism of any game in a publicly. The developers read this forum too, and not only is it childish to talk down to them like this, it probably makes everyone likely to take you seriously.

Now, regarding the districts:
As a poster above said, City-States can only make their type specialty district plus harbors (maybe aqueducts and neighborhoods too, I forget). All other districts are purposefully not included in their valid build list. Why? I’m not sure but I think it has something to do with trying to keep them able to defend themselves better. By limiting what they can build, they’re then forced to focus more on defensive buildings and units which can help them hold off attacks from civs.

So it’s not an “AI” thing whatsoever. It’s a design choice and it can actually be modded very easily. In my personal mod, I allow City-States to build everything except government districts. I believe the City-States Expanded mod also allows it.

That is a very good point and I apologize

Top Bottom