1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't I have foreign routes here?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cleverhandle, Aug 2, 2009.

1. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

I can't figure out why I'm not getting trade routes with Charlemagne in the attached game. I only recently came back to Civ4 after a couple years off, so perhaps I'm missing a rule change. But we signed Open Borders several turns ago and it's too early for Merc. The roads lead at least down to Charlemagne's river, and even if there were a road problem, I've got Sailing. So why don't I have routes with him?

Attached Files:

2. Powerslave

Powerslave Prince

You need to have a route to his capital. If you can't reach both your capital and his capital, then you don't get a foreign trade route to him. Make sure your road actually reaches his capital. A road to a river doesn't count as a connection, as far as I understand it.

3. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

A river or coast counts as a trade route if it's inside your borders or if you have sailing.

4. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Yeah, I know that. Take a look at the game. Tell me how I could not be connected. We're in the AD's at this point - there are roads everywhere.

5. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

He is connected to the other civ, but all his trade routes in his cities are domestic +1s. The computer picks the highest value routes, so is it possible the routes to the other civ's cities are only +1?

6. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

The HRE has open boarders with Russia. All of the HRE's trade routes are being used by Russia. Also Russia has twice as many trade routes per city than the HRE due to Currency, and is sapping all of the HRE's trade routes.

7. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

You're saying an AI's city can only be used once in a trade route across all of its trading partners? I've never heard that before. Perhaps I've just never been in the right situation to notice.

8. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

Okay, wow, this is weird. I may be wrong, because I'm running into some weird stuff here.

I WB'd and gave the HRE the Great Lighthouse, Currency, Cothans in all coastal cities, and espionage forced them into Free Market. I also WB'd in a bunch of great spies for Perciles (so you can view the cities) and Economics. None of the Greek cities have foreign trade routes. You can see that some of the HRE cities have Greek cities in their trade routes, but no Greek cities have ANY foreign trade routes, even with 5 trade routes in the coastal cities. I have no idea what's causing this.

Edit: (Not in the save) As soon as I WB'd in Astronomy and contact with the overseas civs (and revealed all tiles) Greece was able to have foreign trade routes. I'm stumpped here.

Attached Files:

9. foobarred

foobarred Monarch

I don't think foreign trade routes have anything to do with whether or not the foreign territory has the Great Lighthouse or any trade boosters. I do think it has more to do with the city's population.

I was able to get foreign trade routes by adding the Great Lighthouse, and a Harbor to Sparta. I also reduced the populations in some of the domestic cities, and increased the population in one of HRE's coastal cities. Also, I added Math and Currency for Pericles.

Attached Files:

10. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Then what was happening was the foreign trade routes were only +1 so it didn't matter what route was taken?

11. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

^:yup:
    Trade network links are established and all good -- the problem is:
    325 BC: Charlemagne has declared war on you.
    With the end of the war in 75 AD, you only get +39% for sustained peace in 400 AD which is not enough to get the trade route yields to 2:commerce: (need an additional harbor's +50% + 25% for connected to capital, or increase the sitze of Charly's cities dramatically, mind distance cap).
    Domestic routes are checked first, later routes need to be better.

12. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Aha... there it is. That makes everything fit. I was aware of the trade route modifiers, but didn't realize that a foreign trade route could ever come out to only 1 :commerce:. I just hadn't looked that closely before. This fits the game also, as trade routes to the HRE popped up maybe 10-15 turns after the posted save.

Of course, Charlie promptly declared war again a few turns after that. This has been an absolute slugfest of a game. I had no luxes and no way to keep Peter from expanding early, so I started the first war with him early on. Charlemagne is pissed about being boxed in and declares on me whenever he gets a big enough stack together. None of us founded a religion and we all have crap for luxes and food, so we're basically all a bunch of uncivilized, heathen barbarians wasting our resources on sporadic skirmishes. Meanwhile, someone on the other continent just discovered Liberalism around 1300AD while I (the tech leader on my continent) still haven't figured out Guilds or Paper. At some point, the leader on the other continent is going to find us, decide we're all heathen scum and kick our collective asses.

Anyway, thanks for the insight on the trade routes, Dan - that's definitely the explanation.