Why don't more people play multiplayer?

Because Civ 6 isn't balanced for multiplayer. Scythians and Sumerians will always win by early game advantage for example. Not to mention that it almost always ends up as a war game then.

Why not just ban those Civs then? Also, I tried an all peace game a little while ago and it was fun. I want to try more different types of modes.

I like to play in hotseat, 2 humans and 6 AIs. Doesn't turn into a war game, but it depends on the players of course. I don't like to play online, since I usually can't find 3 or 4 hours non-stop gaming time. And I prefer to play on epic anyway...

Last edited:
I play it with friends, and it tends to avoid some of the more unbalanced MP aspects

Takes too long.

The matchmaking system for multiplayer is terribly buggy, making it a tedious process to start a public game. So, many players have frustrating initial multiplayer experience and just pass on further online play. The game has also gotten progressively unbalanced with each new DLC; from releasing civs that are unbalanced in MP play to tweaks of the map script that now pack half the players in one area of the map and scatter the rest to isolated easy to expand areas. Very frustrating to meet a player that spawns with his own landmass and and has triple your science because he could spam cities. And then there are the players who take advantage of the broken aspects of the game like great general stacking. MP was tacked on, so I doubt Civ 6 will ever become as popular as Civ 4 was to play online. Many Twitch streamers have fallen back to Civ 5 MP streaming because Civ 6 is so bad MP.

Because if you want to play an actual game of Civilization, you need about 20 hours of playtime per player. Even if you play with simultanuous turns, that still means you gotta find 20 hours of playtime together. If it means actual turn-based...

Well, you get it.

Edit: Also, humans are sociopaths, who declare war over the smallest of things or even just because they feel like it, so you typically end up with more wars.

I like to play marathon speed, and disdain the domination victory.

When I have played MP (hotseat), we use what I call Cold War house rule:
no directly attacking the other human(s) or civs with which they have a Defensive Pact.

I only play hotseat (and single player maybe two times). We play as a team against one or several AI teams, which is fun! It's sort of like an expanded single player. The only (big) problem is that Civ6 doesn't show the AI players' turns, and just a blue map screen. Civ5 did it right, and I don't know why they changed it for 6.

You can only really play with friends, random games always fall apart because everyone leaves early on. One hour to get a full lobby then everyone leaves. What is the bloody point?

Because if you want to play an actual game of Civilization, you need about 20 hours of playtime per player. Even if you play with simultanuous turns, that still means you gotta find 20 hours of playtime together. If it means actual turn-based...

Well, you get it.

Yeah, this. Maybe the online speed would help things, but I can't imagine playing a game with 5-6 players. I've tried a couple past games with friends, but they never really worked out much. Sometimes it was fun to play a team game with my dad, but it really didn't give much more than just playing a solo game.

I only do MP with friends and we have a house ban list, of the top of my head its SCY, AUS, SUM, NUB, PER and a few others I cant remember right now.

Public MP just turns into "lolcarted". Which in the hands of a human cant really be stopped, guys like the ones above pretty much get to roll there first neighbor for free, which makes the game feel like a sack fest where the only thing that matters is who you started near.

I did it just for the achievement and found it very frustrating for the following reasons:
-I felt pressured to end my turn quickly to avoid make people waiting (even when they were not complaining... :mischief:). That is really bad because I like to take my time to analise and watch things on the game.
-People quit often when they don't get the single player experience where they can usually get what they want.
-Like Leyrann said, humans do seem like sociopaths in the game. Everyone is thinking about winning by domination. I was the only crazy guy going towards cultural victory..:crazyeye: And the last human in the game made a point in killing me despite the fact he could have won a science victory easily. He even did a crazy rush to my capital when I said I was going to leave the game.. humans...
-It indeed takes a lot of time. It is not simple to find such time easily for most of us and when we are in a game with random people there is no way people will get together again to finish a game, specially if they don't think they are winning.
-There is always a civ nerd that will throw nukes at other people archers:nono: Not to mention the civ choices are likely to be the same, the "good" civs, in my game: Romans, Australia, Persia and me, the crazy guy that choose random and end up being Pericles :old:

All in all I can't find the same joy in multiplayer that I find playing in single player. Maybe it could be different if I had real life friends who also liked civilization, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I play in the Civilization Players League, and we have rules for banning OP civs and exploiting game glitches. I play mostly MP because of the common complaint here that the AI sucks. It isn't always war all the time and you don't need more than 4-5 hours to play. Most games are determined by who manages to build an empire while maintaining a deterrent to ward off attack. In the end it becomes a timing race as to who can position themselves to get critical great people. Right now the major frustration of this MP community with the game are the map script tweaks introduced with the Nubian DLC; half the players start close together, a couple of players have vast empty areas, imbalance of resources(balanced start area setting no longer works correctly).

Key words are competition and adrenaline. People searching for competition and public acknowledgment will likely prefer mp games. Im one of them.

I play in the Civilization Players League, and we have rules for banning OP civs and exploiting game glitches. I play mostly MP because of the common complaint here that the AI sucks. It isn't always war all the time and you don't need more than 4-5 hours to play. Most games are determined by who manages to build an empire while maintaining a deterrent to ward off attack. In the end it becomes a timing race as to who can position themselves to get critical great people. Right now the major frustration of this MP community with the game are the map script tweaks introduced with the Nubian DLC; half the players start close together, a couple of players have vast empty areas, imbalance of resources(balanced start area setting no longer works correctly).

Yes I'm not sure were people are getting the idea that MP is not played, we have 400 active MP players. So come out and see how MP is done as right as it can be.

https://discord.gg/uBEpu3u

CS

Top Bottom