Why don't they adopt resource model from Endless Legend?

Stringer1313

Emperor
I loved the resources model from Endless Legend - basically, every turn you get X amount of resources you're mining, and then you can spent Y amount of that resource for a short term unique boost. They could easily do that with the bonus resources, which right now are boring (and needlessly clutter the resources screen since luxuries are the only ones that matter), and have no impact unless you care about Great Zimbabwe.

I have a feeling the only reason at all bonus resources are counted on the Reports screen is because of Buenos Aires.

But seriously, in the end I don't think the resource system from Endless Legend really amounted to much other than another button to click every few turns. I did prefer Endless Legend's method for handling strategic resources to Civ V's, but Civ VI's is probably good enough for Civilization: simple, effective, and clear. I do think "bonus resources" are a little boring, though. Never understood why in IV they gave every resource a purpose (health, strategic, luxury), but immediately went back on that decision for V (a step backwards imo).

I have a feeling the only reason at all bonus resources are counted on the Reports screen is because of Buenos Aires.

But seriously, in the end I don't think the resource system from Endless Legend really amounted to much other than another button to click every few turns. I did prefer Endless Legend's method for handling strategic resources to Civ V's, but Civ VI's is probably good enough for Civilization: simple, effective, and clear. I do think "bonus resources" are a little boring, though. Never understood why in IV they gave every resource a purpose (health, strategic, luxury), but immediately went back on that decision for V (a step backwards imo).

Good point. This game has too many clicks as it is. In that case, they just need to give the bonus resources more interesting benefits that you can actually feel. Maybe they should play a role in determining trade route yields?

I like how they did bonuses from resources in Civ V Vox Populi mod. In that mod, whoever controls more than 50% of the world's supply of a resource has a monopoly bonus from it that is unique to the resource. For example, Marble gives a 10% to Culture in all cities, Ivory increases the length of Golden Ages, etc. It makes having multiple copies of a resource meaningful.

I like how they did bonuses from resources in Civ V Vox Populi mod. In that mod, whoever controls more than 50% of the world's supply of a resource has a monopoly bonus from it that is unique to the resource. For example, Marble gives a 10% to Culture in all cities, Ivory increases the length of Golden Ages, etc. It makes having multiple copies of a resource meaningful.

love this idea

I'd really like to see some kind of system where various combinations of resources produce unique bonuses. Like, for example, if you had both Silk and Dyes, it would give you a special bonus because you can dye your garments and make them more valuable. That kind of thing.

I'd really like to see some kind of system where various combinations of resources produce unique bonuses. Like, for example, if you had both Silk and Dyes, it would give you a special bonus because you can dye your garments and make them more valuable. That kind of thing.

I think they should do something like that in combination with the district buildings - i.e. in this scenario a replacement for a commercial or industrial building - 'garment maker' or something- that then produced something that was a manufactured luxury (ala the toys and cosmetics from the great people). Same with the strategic resources - have a steel factory that takes both iron and coal and make steel required for a unit or something else (railroads?). Basically extend their stable vs barracks choice to a lot more customization on the district level.

For strategic resources, they should produce a specific amount per turn. For example, 1 oil resource might produce 15 oil per turn, but it requires 1 oil resource to move a tank 1 space, and 1 oil resource to have a bomber make a bombing run. If all your oil resources for that turn were not used, they would be stored for future use.

It's a reasonable idea, especially considering various elements of VI have been borrowed from elsewhere, EL included.

Frankly I just wish more people played Endless Legend. Beautiful game.

Frankly I just wish more people played Endless Legend. Beautiful game.

I do agree a little about Endless Legend being a good game and I have played well over one hundred hours of it but I can't play weeks and weeks of it like Civ games and I can't put a finger on why. With all expansions there are a lot of mechanics that need to be worked together and probably that could be one reason why people don't seem to play it as much as Civ. It is possibly not quite as relaxing a game to play.

I do agree a little about Endless Legend being a good game and I have played well over one hundred hours of it but I can't play weeks and weeks of it like Civ games and I can't put a finger on why. With all expansions there are a lot of mechanics that need to be worked together and probably that could be one reason why people don't seem to play it as much as Civ. It is possibly not quite as relaxing a game to play.

I tried Endless Legend but couldn't get into it, even though on paper it seems like it would be perfect for me (I love Civ, Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders), etc. I think it didn't actually have enough variety in mechanics for me, everything felt very samey to me (the boosts mentioned in the OP being emblematic of that). Though I only played the vanilla - from the sound of it they've added more variety in mechanics with the expansions?

I feel the same way about EL. I just can't get into it like Civ. Even though it has some marvelous mechanics, I can't stick with it.

Partly it might be how much I hate the combat. I find it worse than stacks of doom or Civ 5/6 1UPT.

Civ 6 isnt perfect, but I've been able to mod a lot of things I don't like about it, and enjoy it quite a bit now. I'm also super excited about future expansions to Civ and what they might bring.

Here is my idea. Let´s say you have one mine with 4 iron and 4 swordsmen on the map. 2 swordsmen die and you need wait lets say 3-4 turns until they extract again 2 iron to be used. Also make units killed in action loose population(every 3 units 1 pop) and you got a grounded game that demands realy much brains. The monopoly concept of Vox Populi is great when paired with corporations mod but it can be expanded even further like that corporations grant you some superunique über resources that you actualy produce(cars,movies,nutella etc)

I feel exactly like same about EL - was just playing it today while waiting for the Civ 6 patch, and for me the game gets tedious after ~100 turns. I think it's because combats take so long. Love the game otherwise but I feel mentally drained after playing hours of it vs. Civ's 'one more turn' addictive appeal.

Top Bottom