Why don't us few CFC SMAC lovers collaborate on a dedicated SMAC forum?

Just like the title says. In a couple of weeks I can have enough spare time to be able to contribute to such a forum/website. Why don't we give it a shot? This game is slowly dying, and there's no dedicated SMAC forum out there. Those that do exist are subforums (ie, here) and most are dying. SMAC sites are slowly falling off the web, AC Argentina is gone, and the networknode rarely updates anymore.

Let's take a shot at reuniting this game's community. We can build an active site in time if we put the effort into it. Who's up for it?

List of CFC users in so far:
Pasi Nurminen
Truronian
Empiremaker
Maniac
Perfection
Miles Teg
DeafDolphin
Ultima Dragoon

I'd be in, although I don't own a copy of the game... It would also be a good place to collect any SMAC II speculation.

I don't currently own a copy either...my copy is with my computer, 12,500 miles away in a storage locker in Surrey, BC. But I could in a reasonable timeframe obtain a copy.

Even still, I could contribute to a dedicated SMAC forum/site. We can bring together this games community.

So that's two of us, anyone else up for it? Perfection?

I know the invisionfree website offer totally free hosting for forum, and very configurable for the forum admins, so this way it could not cost anything to create a forum to gather the SMAC/SMAX users.
I don't know if along their forum service they have a website hosting though.

I'd be interested, espescally for SMAC II speculation. I don't play a lot, and [civ4] mods just aren't the same as a dedecated SMAC II. Still more members would be needed, and a forum could generate intrest.

I really couldn't help, but I'd participate?

PS- Anyone with a Apolyton membership should ask them too as their SMAC forum is more active than CFC's

I'll go on over to Apolyton and post a discussion topic there and link to this thread. At how many users should we set the mark before we go ahead and do it?

And of course, Empiremaker, your presence is all that would be required. If all you can do is take part in discussions and be an active member, that would help greatly!

And it would have to be, at this point, invision free or some other similar service, as I don't have any coding abilities. If we could find someone with the time and ability, we could use some kind of forum software.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I went over and posted a thread about it in the Apolyton forums, and the universal response was "I'm not leaving apolyton for a new forum." Still there's hope!

Well, I guess it was nice to think about it for a while. Oh well.

I'd be interested in joining a SMAC exclusive forum.

M@ni@c said:
The answer was too:
"Why don't the CFCers all come to here (ie Apolyton)?" :)
Too be honest, I can't stand Apolyton's forum software. It's irritating.

I'd definitely be interested in joining. I've just got Alien Crossfire, and have found nowhere for just SMAc and SMAX. If its still on, that is.

Incidentally, I can help make one.

Well, if the members who have posted in this thread thus far are all interested in contributing to a dedicated SMAC forum, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I don't have any technical skills and my time online is limited to a time when most others are asleep, so I couldn't contribute to the actual construction, but I'd contribute in other ways.

Okay. The idea has reached the crictical mass for the originatior to progress from a "that would be cool" to a "lets do it". Yay! Who's got websitedesigning skills? And what should we call it? The highly original "Smacfanatics"?:rolleyes:

I have Smac and SmacX, Haven't played in a while, tho'. I used to be rather involved with it. I'm in.

The weather paradigm?

Naming the site after an secret project isnt such a bad idea, it's too bad "The Planetary Datalinks" is taken. Thier are others however. "The Command Nexus"? "The Voice of Planet"? "The Pholus Mutagen"? Or switching to improvements: "The Centauri Preserve" or perhaps "Temple of Planet"? maybe "Genjack Factory"?:mischief: Network Node is taken, how about the "Skunkworks"

The Centauri Preserve would be an appropriate name, as we'd be trying to preserve what's left of this game's community and foster new developments for the existing game and possibly provide incentive for Firaxis to develop a SMAC2.

Top Bottom