Why Europe seems to hate the US now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed lately that the Europeans at least the populations of European countries, not the leadership, seems to have a growing hatred toward the US. It seems to me rather pointless given we aren't attacking you, we aren't adversely effecting your economy, and we aren't imposing our will on any allied country. So what is it that makes you dislike us now. So what if we are invading countries to protect ourselves. We are a sovereign nation so we aren't a servant to European or Global will, yet you seem to think we need your permission to our bidding across the globe. To be completely fair we are if anything the leader of the Western world so if anyone should be asking for permission to impose their will it should be European nations.

Maybe cause of the brilliant move your country has made by invading Iraq:
- get rid of a man (Saddam) who was the enemy of both Osama bin Laden and Iran
- making Iraq a training place for terrorists
- this way advertising for the radical Islam
- this way provoking both Iran and North Korea to develop a nuclear weapon as soon as possible to defend themselves, again making the world a more dangerous place.

Educate yourself quick...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Independence

Uh yeah. Because its happened?

So is this a racist remark?

Don't be a Moderator Action: <are you kidding???> . My argument wasn't about race. My argument was that the American fight for independence was very different because it was FORMER Europeans fighting Europeans rather than native groups who'd had little or no contact with Europe before the Europeans discovered them. That puts the American colonies in a very different position. At the time, Europe was far ahead of all the other parts of the world, in science, wealth, industrialization, so the other parts of the world were obviously no match for them; that is undisputed fact, not racism. Before that, Arabs were ahead, at onther point in time, Chinese were ahead, Egyptians were ahead at another time, etc...
If you have to play the race card you either have "no case" or "no brain".

I will check out your link though, if I was wrong about the former colonies, I can learn something (and if so, thanks for helping me learn :)). But I learn nothing from your pathetic attemps at destroying my argument by yelling racist.

Moderator Action: Stop the flaming!
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Bugfatty, I checked your link, it is very general, I clicked on a lot of the links but they weren't even related to the Coloniel powers. You mentioned India and Indonesia in a previous post, they are not in your link at all. Do you have specific examples or are you just making your claims up?

Europe was far ahead of all the other parts of the world, in science, wealth, industrialization, so the other parts of the world were obviously no match for them; that is undisputed fact, not racism.

Yet the 13 American colonies were backwater agrarian place with no wealth and certainly no industrial capabilities. Same as most other European colonies of the day. So what made Americans so much better at fighting than, say, the people's of New Spain or Indochina?

Either way, none of that means Europeans were impervious to the "lesser peoples" in war. Especially when Europeans fighting on their turf, trying to subjugate them.

If you have to play the race card you either have "no case" or "no brain".

I already proved you wrong by far. The race card doesn't matter.

Bugfatty, I checked your link, it is very general, I clicked on a lot of the links but they weren't even related to the Coloniel powers.

Uh what are these?

From the list:

French-Indochina War
Algerian War of Independence
Mexican War of Independence
Argentine War of Independence
Brazilian War of Independence
Bolívar's War
Bolivian Independence War
Chilean War of Independence
Ecuadorian War of Independence
Peruvian War of Independence
Venezuelan War of Independence

You mentioned India and Indonesia in a previous post, they are not in your link at all. Do you have specific examples or are you just making your claims up?

And as to your question. No I am not making them up.:rolleyes:

Indonesian Revolution
http://www.onwar.com/aced/chrono/c1900s/yr45/findonesia1945.htm

Indian Independence Movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_independence_movement

Wow, Colonel, how do you ever get along playing on the playground? I think you may need to work on your "getting along with everyone else" skill a bit.

Colonel is not your avg American, very far from it in fact. And I don't see thing this growing hate of the US. As long and our culture pretty much dominates the way it does and is marketed around world as it is (sales of DVD, games, movies TV shows, music ect ect), I cant see the US every being really hated.

We are just too cool to be hated ;)

As long and our culture pretty much dominates the way it does and is marketed around world as it is (sales of DVD, games, movies TV shows, music ect ect), I cant see the US every being really hated.

We are just too cool to be hated ;)

To that, I would say that is part of the reason why some Europeans hate America.

To that, I would say that is part of the reason why some Europeans hate America.

To that i would say thats why a smaller % of Europeans dislike the US, because most Europeans like are culture very must and are sick of people buying it and seeing it everyone.

But really, that just has to do with Europeans, not the fault of US media.

I think "hate" is too strong word.

Many europeans just thought that invading Iraq would not be a good idea... and I think they were right.

May 26, 2007 12:24 PM
Bugfatty300
Quote:
Originally Posted by scy12 View Post
No , it is the only reason Europe dislikes you. Europe is today less arrogant that Usa that is a fact.
Conversations on here (in this thread even) leads me to think otherwise. Of course thats just a few individual people here and there.
May 26, 2007 12:21 PM

Where did i use the words , individual people in the above sentence ? :rolleyes:

colonel, is this just some massive windup?!!! seriously? how can you possibly substantiate any of your views. YOU are why i dont like america right now.

Yet you keep buying our Music, DVDs, Video Games, Movies and TV Shows. So why are you upset with it?

I wouldn't know, you would have to ask the Europeans who feel like that.

So what if we are invading countries to protect ourselves. We are a sovereign nation
So are the countries the US invades.
Can you spot the problem with this for anyone not American?

What is right and what is wrong is decided by the powerful and we are the ultimate power.
OK.
Only... you now need to prove this by imposing your will on everyone else. I suggest you get cracking, starting with, oh, Iran, or North Korea, or Russia. Why not China? Or the EU? We could have a nice full scale trade war to see who cries uncle first.

US power is dwindling, has been for quite some time, and it's already assuredly not sufficient to coerce either the EU, or China or even Russia into any course of action on an important issue they would otherwise reject.

The U.S. is disliked right now because George W. Bush and his minions have gone out of their way to show their contempt for any country or foreign political leader who disagree with them. France is quite vocal about their none support of invading Iraq, so what does Bush & Co do? Start a smear campaign against France. Freedom fries, anyone?

The U.S. is disliked right now because George W. Bush and his minions have gone out of their way to show their contempt for any country or foreign political leader who disagree with them. France is quite vocal about their none support of invading Iraq, so what does Bush & Co do? Start a smear campaign against France. Freedom fries, anyone?
I think I lost a few brain cells when I read this. :lol:

i sincerley hope i do not offend anybody, because it is not my wish to do so. however (you knew it was coming)

it is an interesting and at the same time difficult to answer question. and of course there is not one answer to it. as you may have guessed i do not doubt the OP's claim, i do agree with it. now why is that, exactly? i'm a german btw and have grown up with the experience of going to foreign countries and immediatly being called a nazi as soon as my nationality was revealed, so i can relate. let's recap some common arguments:

- kyoto
- weapons of mass destruction... errr, we didn't say that! we came to liberate the iraqui populace!
- guantanamo, waterboarding
- death sentence (isn't that one of the reasons turquey, erm, i spelled that wrong, is not yet allowd into the EU?)
- backwards attitude towards PDAs (surprisingly enough akin to muslim attitudes)
- the "election" of george W as president the first time around, of course that black guy over there with the same middle name as a rapist shouldn't be allowed to vote!
- reelecting george W, legally!
- electing jeb bush to be president of the US in 8 years!
- the farce about clinton's BJ, go bill! the only person to throw a hissy fit should have been hillary. stains on some blue dress should not serve to judge a president (however inapropiate they might be)
- pig's bay
- assanination attempts on castro
- any dictatorial regime the US has supported as long as it benefits them (but in irak we want to liberalte the people!)
- CIA
- school shootings and liberal (heh, yeah THAT is liberal) gun laws
- FBI
- college education costs WHAT?
- j edgar hoover
- we do not want illegal immigrants, unless they clean up our dirt and do not get medical or any other benefits

but imho the thing that really alienates us euros is: we are afraid of stupidity, we see it in our own societies (heck we germans REALLY freaked about a study called the pisa studies where we were ranked amongst the bottom as far as basic education is concerned) but we really and easily see it in the US. and boy doesn't george W just deliver? in spades? show of hands! which US citizen here fluently speaks a foreign language? do not raise your hand if you mow lawns for 2$ per hour, you might get deported!

there was a time, pretty recently i might add, when the US was amongst the most liberal countries in the world (today 'liberal' might even be a four-letter word), the time of muhammad ali, malcom x, martin luther king (and boy did they get a warm welcome!)

my best friend is an american, i used to be in love with an american girl and wanted to study in the US. today i am faced with the decision of where to spend my 1 year of being in an english-speaking country... it's going to be the UK or the bahamas.... it is not going to be the US

then again, you probably wouldn't let me enter the country anyhow, i'd check the "get a grip" box on the immigration form.

PS: you want some FREEDOM FRIES with that order? (what is a belgium anyways?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom