1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why exactly does everyone hate Steam?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nvalzxi87, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nvalzxi87

nvalzxi87 Chieftain

I can't really see why so many people here don't like it. I've never had any problems with it, so why does everyone hate it?

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

But it requires an internet connection to the evulz internetz.

And its DRM sorta. Everyone hates that. I never had a problem with Steam myself.

3. nvalzxi87

nvalzxi87 Chieftain

Civfanatics requires Internet. :p

DRM? Dunno what that stands for but it's probably something obvious.

4. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Do a search on this sub-forum. The first page was full of steam threads this summer.

5. For Nall

For Nall Chieftain

If you look at all the steam threads its a bunch of people being super and I mean really super paranoid about something they know nothing about. Pretty much every problem with it that they listed has 0 chance of happening.

6. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I wasn't thrilled at all when I saw that Civ5 would require Steam. It sort of pissed me off, because in principle, I don't like the idea of an additional layer controlling my access to the software products I've licensed.

But it turns out Steam is pretty unintrusive, works well, and I haven't had any problems with it myself, so my suspicion quieted after the initial experience.

Ironically, the Civ5 + Steam release has done a complete 180 from what I expected - I'm actively enjoying Steam and using it to purchase and demo several other games, while simultaneously feeling disappointed in Civ5 itself. So Steam ended up being the positive... go figure.

(And GG Valve... very, very clever move. Your kung fu is strong.)

7. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

Why do i hate it? Because its forced on me. I could easily accomplish what it does with something like XFIRE, or Teamspeak, or QTracker, or use google and find a few dozen others. The difference is, i get to choose those, and steam i do not. On top of that, steam is how big? Last demo i checked out, the steam folder without any game is 150mb. How large are those other programs i mentioned?

Another thing, Offline mode still tries to contact their server, Why? Do they need a dictionary to help them learn what Offline means? It seems to me, like its trying to hold your hand while you navigate the "evulz internetz".

I'm capable of picking where i buy my games, I'm capable of picking what social apps i use to enhance my gaming. Maybe thats why i hate steam?

Also, they have the right to close your account whenever they want, all your games included, COOL! Its happened before, check the evulz internetz, or hey, check these forums, at least one person reported steam stole about 100$ worth of games from them.

Another thing i find hilarious about steam, is how many people tell me they like it, they have no problems with it, their account was hacked but steam helped them get it back, but they love it!

Lol, i heard rumors of steam allowing some type of trade-back system for games, for credit of other games. Im sure this will spark MORE account hijacking, except in the future theyll be able to trade all your games for something else.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: This thread does not add anything which has not been discussed ad nauseam either here, here, here, here, here, here, here or here.

Use one of these threads if you want to go deeper into the topic.
    Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.