1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Forrest?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Jericho Strange, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

You can also use a forest as a "super fortress"

If you have a tile you have to keep - say a choke point - a simple fortress might not be enough. So once the fortress is built, plant a forest too. The unit will get both defensive bonuses.

Personally, I forest the unworkable tiles between cities - often the AI city placement leaves gaps that cannot be worked, but not so many to be worth a new city. So I forest the area between the cities, so that I know not to bother railroading that area.

Also, although a forest is the same no of shields as a mined grassland with rails, it's one less food. If I'm trying to balance out the food and get an odd food left over, I might plant a forest to lose the odd food. (saves the tedious growth and starvation cycle).

2. kb2tvl

kb2tvl Chieftain

I want to highlight some of what has been said here.

first, take a city that sits on grassland and you have roaded and don't have hospitals yet.. There might be a river or not but all 20 tiles are grassland. Now, lets say that 1/3(6 tiles) of the tiles have a shield bonus and the other 2/3's(12 tiles) don't.

Alright, giving that the land is grass land, you can mine 6 of the tiles with shield bonus and then you need to decide what to do with the 6 tiles with no shields. If you mined all of them then you would have +2 food left over and 1 shield from each mined tile plus a shield from the bonus tiles. Alright, if you change 2 tiles to forrest then you get 2 shields from each forrested tile(regardless if the tile has a bonus shield or not)and lose a total of 2 food.

Altermantely, you can irrigate 2 tiles with shields which will give you 1 more food for each tile... or a total of 6 food. Since your irigating the shield bonus tile you still get the 1 shield bonus but not the 1 shield from mining. Now, forrest a non shield bonus tile and you get your 2 shields + 1 food!

->Similarly, irigate 4 shield tiles(4 extra food/lose 4 shield) and forrest 3 tiles(6 shields/2food). Notice the net gain in shields? 2 shields when building a wonder can be the differnece between getting it or not.