1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Why haven't I won this game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iseezergs, Sep 22, 2019.

1. iseezergs

iseezergs Chieftain

I couldn't understand why I haven't won this game yet. Can anyone help me?

* New Player

Spoiler img_pt1 :

pt1.png

Spoiler img_pt2 :

pt2.png

Spoiler img_pt3 :

pt3.png

2. Rosty K

Rosty K King

Is it enabled?

3. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Warlord

did you hit "end turn" after you got enough tourists?

4. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

Maybe I've completely misunderstood something, I'm a fairly new player and I don't directly understand the language you are using, but if I remember correctly, for a Cultural Victory you have to gain more tourists from everyone else than the total domestic tourists of every other country.

Using my Italian and a bit of deduction, you are playing as Eleanor of Aquitane, with 179 tourists.

On the left column there are the names of each player and the number of domestic tourists that they have. So you, Eleanor, have 315, Pericles has 152, Cyprus has 161 and Tamara has 144. Already it shows that you have not won, because 152+161+144=457 which is greater than your 315.

If you add up all the numbers on the left column, that should give you your target that you need to exceed now in order to win (obviously that will probably increase as time goes on, so it'll be higher by the time you catch up).

Of course I could be completely wrong (won't be the first time) and I'm playing vanilla so maybe something is different with the expansions and trying to interpret from a different language (is it Portuguese? Or Spanish?) so I might be speaking a load of nonsense, if so forgive me.

Edit: I was incorrect on the requirements for a Cultural Victory, see my post below.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You are playing as Vitoria and the first picture shows Leonor has already won, you lost.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I assumed they were playing as Eleanor - though I don't know if you can tell for certain from the images?

Vitória means both Victoria and victory, right?

7. Victoria

The cultural victory screen is sorted in order of who is winning however if you look at any of the images, in big letters near the top it sat Vitoria Cultural which is who you are playing. Yes Vitoria is Victoria.
    edit: Apologies, this is incorrcect

8. gcampono

gcampono Chieftain

Are you sure? To me it seems that Vitoria = Victory and not Victoria (which I think in spanish remains Victoria).

So probable the best explanations is yo have to press next turn to win or cultural victory is not enabled.

blackcatatonic likes this.
  9. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

It could say Victoria Cultural/Cultural Victoria or it could say Cultural Victory.
    Also note that Victoria (Vitória, bottom of screen shot 2) is also playing, and has a grand total of... 2 visiting tourists. Either the OP has no understanding of how to play a Cultural Victory (to both do so poorly and to believe Victoria should have won) or they're not playing Victoria. Plus it has the gold highlight around Eleanor's name which indicates that Eleanor is the player's name.
    My bet is that the best translation is Cultural Victory, largely because that's the title of the page, and the Cultural Victory page has been selected.

10. beest

beest Chieftain

I think the victory screen should appear after you end the turn.

11. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

Anyway, just checked the screen on my game, and I was right in my translations. The OP is certainly playing as Eleanor.

The only mistake I made was I misunderstood the requirements for a CV; you only have to get more tourists than each of the other civs have domestic tourists individually.

With that, yes Eleanor (the player) has won, I can only think of three solutions. Either "End Turn" hasn't been pressed (Doubtful, being an obvious fix, Eleanor is way ahead of the others suggesting they have played Civ before), there's a bug, or the victory screen has been reached and someone has pressed "One more turn...", potentially not the OP.

12. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Chieftain

The language the OP is playing in is Portuguese. I'm surprised no one recognized this. Also surprised some assume the OP is an idiot and presume to translate languages they can't even recognize.

13. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

I'm assuming you're referring to me?

If so, if you read my posts, you'd notice that I did recognise it as Portuguese or maybe Spanish. I didn't assume that the OP couldn't read it, I translated it as best as I could for my benefit/the benefit of others. I misunderstood the requirements of a CV and its easy to misunderstand things in this game, even in your own language. I'd assumed that they'd misread the requirement or the screen itself, neither assumes that they are an idiot.

Also you don't need to recognise a language to understand what it says. Are you honestly telling me that you need to know that it is Portuguese to know what "turistas domésticos" means when in the appropriate context?

14. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Chieftain

Apologies, no. I think you have correctly assessed the situation. I was shocked mostly by the mistranslation by Victory/Victoria a few posts earlier. I feel the OP will not return, as the implication was that someone playing as Victoria in those games clearly has lost.

Romance languages become very easy to recognize once you learn one, and of course words like "Vitoria" (the name and the noun) and "Civilizacao" (sorry can't find the accents) are pretty obvious.

Linklite likes this.
  15. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I thought it was pretty clear regardless of knowing precisely which language it is that "Vitória cultural" meant "Cultural Victory", not "Victoria's culture".

That lines up with what the English version has, I think...?

16. Victoria

Apologies @iseezergs, the assumption is based on the second screen shot where we can see Victoria is playing and is called Vitoria. We live and learn.

There has been sometimes a situation where the cultural victory has not shown and reloading to the turn and replaying has fixed it. There is a thread on here somewhere.

Well someone called Vitoria did lose, there have been worse transations in the world to be shocked about.
    upload_2019-9-23_12-10-48.png
    I would call it an unfortunate coincidence
    upload_2019-9-23_12-12-22.png

Naturally in English there is a difference between Victory and Victoria

17. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

No worries, and my apologies also, it's hard to know who people are referring to in a forum and thought your were referring to my translation efforts.

I'm surprised by her (I'm assuming it's a her) interpretation, I'm guessing she saw "Vitória" and ran with it, not really checking context.

I've only recently figured out how to use accents easily, at least on touchscreen keyboards (a pain when I've been trying to write in Italian for years!). If you hold down the base letter on some programs or keyboards, it will come up with alternate versions of that letter for you to select. For example, hold down e, and you wil get an option to select é as well as è, ê etc, at least using gboard. For physical keyboards, some have them as secondary characters if you use alt+key, otherwise it's the character map or shortcuts I think. Not that it's important here, we all know exactly what people mean without the accents, I just like to be as accurate as possible in my own posts!

Yeah, it matches exactly with the English, at least on the Switch. A possible interpretation could have been "Victoria/Cultural", meaning Victoria [wins] [a] Cultural [Victory], or maybe [your are playing as] Victoria [viewing the] Cultural [victory tab], but it is a translation of "Cultural Victory" and that makes the most sense in context.

18. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

I've read in a couple of posts that maybe Cultural Victory isn't enabled and that's why the game hasn't ended; it most likely is enabled.

The screen only gives you the tabs of available victory-types, the disabled victory types are not shown, so if CV were disabled, we wouldn't see this screen.

It would be nice to be able to see the screens of even disabled victories so that we could see how we're doing in them, even if irrelevant to the final victory, but that's my view.

Of course there is the caveat that this is with the unmodded version; there might be mods that allow you to see the screen regardless, but otherwise CV must be enabled.

19. Victoria

This is not the first person to have these symptoms. I have seen 2 other posts. It is like some unknown event stops the victory condition and on reload it works

acluewithout likes this.