1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I am Opposed To Immigration

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zardnaar, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Arwon

Arwon

Ignoring that every implication of this post is super racist, mostly I'm confused by the idea that the SCARY HORDE OF INFINITE BROWNS that fills the fever dream imagination of opponents of open borders would not be heavily focused on moving to areas like Silicon Valley for precisely the reasons you state.

Wealthy area, dynamic land of a growth industry, full of chances for smart young go-getters of precisely the sort most likely to up roots and relocate. The place is a globally iconic byword for opportunity and dream chasing.

When ole mate says he has "skin in the game" surely that includes being in a place heaps of people want to move to who currently can't.

I mean, this putative human tsunami of dastardly foreigners is hardly going to concentrate on slathering itself all over Arkansas or wherever now, is it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I grew up and still live near Clarkston, Georgia, an Atlanta suburb where I hear a majority of the total population are now refugees. There are about 90 first languages spoken within a 1 mile radius (about 5 miles from my house). That neighborhood was really poor and dangerous before the refugee influx, but has gotten much better since then.

When I was in 5th grade my sister acted as a translator for a family of refugees who had fled Togo after the father went AWOL from their military rather than obeying orders to execute innocent civilians. We got to know the family of 7 very well.

I went to a high school where students spoke 43 different native languages. Its population was majority black, but only if you include those born in Africa. There were probably more immigrants there than White native born Americans. I didn't even realize until senior year that at least 20% of the peers I'd known for years were refugees (mostly Eritreans, some Somalis, some Vietnamese, some Burmese, some Kurds, some Albanians, some Czechs, some Guatemalans, some Panamanians, etc.). (Most of them seemed reluctant to say where they were from until all their Naturalization paperwork was done, but became proud of their heritage once they became US Citizens.)

At Georgia Tech I didn't know as many refugees, but I had French, Russian, Liberian, and Bangladeshi roommates and went to a church that was mostly Korean with significant minorities from other Asian countries and a few from Africa and Latin America. Most were born in the USA, but at least 10% of them were here on school visas and had to trouble getting the work visas they needed to stay here after graduation.

I'm currently working for a Habitat for Humanity affiliate where about half of the prospective homeowners benefiting from the program are refugees. I believe every single refugee with the program was been harder working than any one of the native born American citizens in the program..

Yeekim likes this.
  3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Why I am Opposed To Immigration - An immigrant gave birth to President Trump. Obviously, immigrants will stop at nothing to ruin the country.

caketastydelish likes this.
  4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

So in 1939 Jews and those fleeing the Nazis weren't refugees and immigrants?

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    That has no relevance in the present day and I'm not interested in debating someone who invokes the Godwin's Law. If you want to debate on the morality of that historical event, go right ahead over at the History forums.

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

In the present day, the refugees are fleeing a violent group.

7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

It has quite a bit of relevance. In 1939 we sent back a ship to Europe filled with Jewish refugees where over a quarter were later murdered because of their race. Your post said that we shouldn't let in refugees because we have other problems to worry about. Same argument was made in 1939 and in this case two hundred and fifty four people were murdered.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I see you've started dabbling in Rassenkunde.

Arwon likes this.
  9. west india man

west india man Immortal

History repeats itself: first as tragedy, then as farce

Lexicus likes this.
  10. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Immigrants from wealthy and peaceful societies will become a wealthy and peaceful minority, and immigrants from violent and dysfunctional societies will become a violent and dysfunctional minority. White people obey this rule like anyone else.

Exactly. Total agreement here.

AFAIK it's mostly the first-generation immigrants that cause problems.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  11. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Vietnamese/Cambodian/Laotian refugees and Mexican immigrants came from wealthy and peaceful societies?

12. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah not sure about all the displaced Italians and Greeks and Ukrainians and the like from WW2-wracked Europe either tbh.

13. Mouthwash

Nope. I'm only saying that you would have a different experience with the average Arab or Nigerian. The problem is that immigration is a selective process and you can't draw generalizations from one group of immigrants in a single area.

Italians definitely did cause problems. I don't care enough to look up the other two.

EDIT: How did you people get me to start debating this? I'm responding to Mr. Glyndwr's remarks that worldwide freedom of movement is somehow desirable or possible.

14. Arwon

Arwon

Uh, they what?

15. Mouthwash

First-generation Italian immigrants had high crime rates and this provoked hostility from the places they lived.

16. Arwon

Arwon

Pretty sure that didn't happen here. Must be America's fault if you haven't just made that up.

17. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

Well unless you neighbour is Maddof, in wich case you're screwed , was he somali?

18. Mouthwash

Hrm?

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

You do have to be careful when extrapolating trends. While you can smooth out trendlines when discussing "the impact of allowing in too many refugees", it's not actually honest. Each cohort will be different. Each cohort will generate their internal trendlines. I can't look at S&P500 historical data and then say "my basket of gold-mining stocks should generate 7% returns".

Now, we have a moral and treaty obligations with regards to both taking in refugees and providing foreign humanitarian aid. But to pro-actively suggest that the 'stats suggest it will be okay' is just setting up people to be angry at you. You notice when your political allies are incorrect, especially when you suffer more than they said you would. And refugees can certainly be mishandled on the welfare/integration scale. Some of that will be due to the receiving country. And some of that will be due to cultural differences between the two cultures.

Yeekim likes this.
  20. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Immigrants also basically wiped out the native citizens, and enslaved an entire race of people. Obviously, immigrants have done a lot of bad.