1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why i cant i beat the english!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tranquility, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

Hey everyone. I took Rome with the goal to win by conquest. I looked at their praeatorian and said he'd do a great job early on. I upgrade them with with city raider.
    I won agaist Catherine, and now i'm in a war with Elizabeth. The problem is: i can't conquer cities! My praetorians are losing to archers, long archers and axeman. Now, i know they get defensive bonuses, but i thought my city raider bonus would give me a few wins, but no they lose most of the time.
    Anybody have any suggestions?:confused:

2. Toshiro126

Toshiro126 Chieftain

have you used artillery (cats, cannons, whatever you have available at that point in you game) to reduce the cities' defensive bonuses first? are the cities located on hills? are there any hills next to their cities that you could attack from? :ar15:

3. Dragonlor

Dragonlor Chieftain

The only thing you need to know if you want to capture a city in Civ4:

Siege

4. kurdi

kurdi Chieftain

Longbowmen are pretty darn powerful! If you dont have catapults you should plan on sending in 2 praetorians for every longman defending.

5. oagersnap

oagersnap Chieftain

Remember to check the combat odds.

6. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy Chieftain

I've been running Rome at Prince on a standard map. The key thing to the Praetorians is to beeline to Ironworking and have a core of cities that you build Barracks in and then make nothing but Praetorians...your conquered cities can build the other stuff. Remember that you're running against a clock. When the others only have archers you can just storm anything with a stack of Praetorians; once longbows appear you need catapults, and your era of advantage is coming to a close.

On Prince you can consistently take out 2 neighbors (with a reasonable start) in the archer epoch, and with difficulty in the longbow epoch you might be able to take a third. Beyond that point I switch to a tech/builder strategy and return to the military side once I hit riflemen, tanks, etc. The longer you wait to start, and the more you spread your techs/builds out, the briefer your time in the conquest phase will be.

The above is assuming the chop rushing strategy (worker+Bronze Working, followed by quick settlers and other workers to form your military core.)