Why I like Byzantines the best.

Ringo Kid

Prince
Its all about the Dromons.

Top Ten things I like about them.

1 If you build a dozen of them as soon as you get the tech, you have the worlds best Navy right up until destroyers appear.

2 Because of the lethal bombardment, you almost never lose any of them, so an efficient use of shields. And you can start your golden age whenever you want.

3 I love it when they chase an enemy ship into a port and destroy it. That is just fun.

4 You can conquer the world with archers on some maps, because the dromons redline the garrison so archers are all you need. Iron? dont need it. Horses? Dont need it.

5 You can put a couple of them cruising the coast early and get a trading advantage by making first contact, and they can often cross deep water without sinking. More often than a galley, anyway.

6 If you stick a warrior on one, you can send it along the enemy coast to grab a slave or two. Okay, you can do that with any ship, but the dromon is more likely to make it back home alive with the slave cargo.

7 THat flamethrower thing just looks cool.

8 You can upgrade them to transports if you get the far up the tech tree before the game ends because you conquered everyone with your archers.

9 Chasing down an ironclad and sinking it with a thousand year old fleet of dromons, is fun. And silly, too.

10 They amplify your military, by adding firepower and speed of movement.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever played as the Byzantines, or recognized the potential of the Dromon, but you've convinced me to give them a shot next game. I especially like number 8... "because you conquered everyone with your archers" :)

There exist many more strengths to the Byzantines than this. Beyond those strengths, Theodora has a lovely face *s*.

I was playing in a Sid SG long ago, where I used a warrior and dromons to keep Cathy in poverty, until we could invade. I just bombed her improvements and every time a worker got too far to be reached, I would drop the warrior and capture the worker.

I had to disband the slaves and get the warrior off the land, but they often gave me the chance. We keep a few droms in the harbor to sink every ship, before it could leave port.

I wouldn't wait until Map Making to go looking for contacts; build a curragh or two for that!
But she's a real pain to be at war with, Theodora. The harassment she does with her dromons!

There exist many more strengths to the Byzantines than this. Beyond those strengths, Theodora has a lovely face *s*.

Back. Off.

She's mine. :love:

I just bombed her improvements and every time a worker got too far to be reached, I would drop the warrior and capture the worker.

I had to disband the slaves and get the warrior off the land, but they often gave me the chance. .

I find that about four Dromons in a stack and two warriors or other obsolete units work well, because I like to keep the workers. So what I do is cruise the dromons along the coast and pick off the workers with the warriors, loading the workers onto the Dromons. I disband the warrior if I run out of room to carry the slaves home.
If there are no workers along the enemy coast, bombarding a luxury or resource square will attract workers trying to re-connect the lux or resource.

I suppose you could add insult to injury by stealing workers from your enemy and use them to add pops to your wonder building city if you were in a wonder race with your enemy.

Byzantines are fun!

:nono: Never join foreign workers to your cities. They will become foreign nationals and can increase the chance of a flip. Foreign workers also carry no maintenance costs while your own workers do. My point - You should join your own workers to the cities, not foreign workers.

Just about any coastal city in bombard range, no worries about dragging catapults around. :)

The Lighthouse makes things that much more fun, too!

I like to color outside the lines. And I always play with "flipping" turned off. I hate that part of the game, just hate it. So I turned it off! Ha!

I really love those Dromons! You can do a lot of damage with them in circumstances when you usually couldn't.

However, I don't think you gain much by controlling the sea in this game. It's all about land. You can control 99% of the sea squares, but it still doesn't count. And you'll never be able to control a valuable resource in the sea.

Also, you don't have to be king of the sea in order to get to the other continent. Getting there is more about taking the right route with a few ships.

But I guess you've figured it out now: I usually don't play archipelago maps. If I did, maybe I'd tell a different story…

Why, thank you! :cool:

Its all about the Dromons.

Top Ten things I like about them.

5 You can put a couple of them cruising the coast early and get a trading advantage by making first contact, and they can often cross deep water without sinking. More often than a galley, anyway.
Are you sure about that?..

It's a seafaring bonus. Dromons and other ships of seafaring civs are less likely to sink in unsafe waters than those of non-seafaring civs.

I think it goes 66% chance of sinking for a non-seafaring, 50% for seafaring, but just my experience, it seems like it is even less. I'm currently doing a 20K game as the Byzantines, and my Curragh made it across the first time, and it was on an ocean tile 3 straight turns.

Top Bottom