Why I Think Monty and The Aztes are actually quite good.

Genv [FP]

Website Moron
I just played an Amazing game with Monty, and I'm going to explain why I think he and the Aztecs are actually a good civ

Let's start with traits..

Monty is Spiritual and Agressive. This means that he can swap civics and religions easily, and Agressive Means that his units are stronger by 10%.

Or is that all the Agg trait offers?

If we look at the Jaguar, which I'm going to talk about in a few lines, It Starts with Woodsman I. Now this doesn't sound this good until you can get to Woodsman III, Which is an awesome promo.

Now, If you want to make a Super-medic, Or give him +25% vs melee, you still have to go through putting 1 point in Combat I. Now you see where it comes in handy.

Don't forget Cheap barracks so you can get the WII Promo out the door!

Monty's Unique Unit, the Jaguar:

The jaguar looks a bit like crud. but there's 2 things to Consider:

1: Since Monty is Agressive, He gets Cheap Barracks. Jags start with Woodsman I.

With cheap barracks it's easy to get to Woodsman II. This is why you can use jags to rush an opponent who still has Warriors if you have gold or silver nearby.

2: The UU is resourceless, so you can easily rush and overwhelm a nearby opponent.

His UB: Sacrificial Altar: Slavery Civic use Anger time Cut in half, also slightly cheaper.

What this means is that in the early game, you'll be using slavery alot. With this UB, I can use slavery Twice as much.

This is good for food-rich starts that lack Hammers. It's also cheaper, so it helps.

So go ahead..Play a game as Monty. But don't forget to kill him on sight if you see him in your game.:goodjob:

Monty's UB is one of the best in the game. His UU sucks a bit though.

His UU is really meant for more of an early rush. People shouldn't be upgrading it to anything BUT Woodsman II to rush your opponent until Archers become a problem.

Monty is fun to have around even if you aren't playing as him, in all my games I make sure Monty's there, all other leaders'll be random though. Its fun having a fanatic on your side, especially if you're of the minority religion. Give him a few military tech's.. perhaps some gold.. and let him loose, then sit back and watch the chaos ensue. :goodjob:

I wouldn't agree. With the free Combat I its only half a strength point behing the average civs Swordsman. On any map with a decent amount of forests or jungle its a good raider/scout. Its the easiest unit in the game to get to supermedic status. Except for Praets I find swordsmen still usually need catapult support to take cities and with catapult support Jags will do fine.

edit: I would agree that the UB is excellent though. Combine it with Spiritual and you have a civ that can really abuse Slavery.

With a plan, you can work miracles in the early game with him but only if you do not mind losing (lots of?) population and soldiers. Many players seem rather reluctant to do so when they can also simply play leaders like Julius and Darius but Monty does indeed pack a punch when played right.

I can remember an awesome game by Aelf where he played Monty and used slavery and the UB to great effect! :)

Woodsman II also seems to blindside the AI often... whether leaving cities you can reach next turn almost undefended (they are normally quite good at whipping emergency garrisons) or simply stealing workers, you can expect quite a few 'gifts'.

with the ultilty of mobile resourceless troops (read: those you can build in newly conquered backwood villages that you haven't even been connected to your road network yet) that make great super-medics, worker stealers, backup medics for secondary stack and surprise task forces, I'm willing to take the hit to overall combat prowess. Having a promotion that sticks also helps.

The Sacrificial Altar is the only building that affects production before the Renaissance. Production wins games, being cheaper further suports that angle.

Note that on the strategic level everything fits: Cheaper courthouses that allow a whipping frenzy (that would be crippling for any other leader) for resourceless and mobile units means you can replace your losses instantly and overrun your surroundings quickly.

Playing Monty is also fun; both Uniques require active leveraging and so does SPI. It's refreshing to have a powerful leader who requires a little thinking to fully realise his potential.

Nothing new here, of course he's a fine if not the best leader, spiritual rocks and aggressive is ok if only against barbs. UB is quite good as well.

He is easily one of the most playable leaders in the game. SPI is often underrated, but its a top-tier in my book, always has been. Its also one of those traits that gets stronger and stronger, until Radio and Cristo open up, because the cost of civic changes rises throughout the game. Being able to do cool tricks with civic swaps (like queue up units in every city, then swap to Vass/Theo right before they are done, then right back to your CE or SE civics, etc).

I like it mostly because I can settle/bulb more of my GP. I tend to save some for Golden Ages at key times, especially for war-civic changes, but with SPI, I can use the GPs for something else, or simply save them for GAs later in the game, when they have a much wider effect, since its highly likely my empire will be bigger.

With 10 XP, you end up with Wood III and Medic I.

That alone is worth any other perceived lack in the UU.

Also, it's an outstanding UU on an Archepelago map since it doesn't need resources and it gets only 5 turns of anger once you hit Code of Laws. :)

Indeed. I love super-medics

No kidding on the super medics. I tend to be a multi-stack guy, striking multiple AI cities in the same time frame, so having a few Wood III guys to spread around before I get enough GGs to attach is very strong.

As for Monties UB, I think its THE best in the game, but I am a slavery addict and I will whip my cities hard for a large portion of the game.

My problem with Monty is the city names. Too similar/hard to remember. I could just edit them of course, but then it wouldnt really be Monty anymore.

Tech Bronze working - if copper nearby, rush an opponent with good ole' AGG axes. If no copper, you have a nice Plan B in the Jag. Other civs have to hope they have Iron close by after teching ironworking OR they can pursue Horseback riding for HA's if horses are present. If no iron/copper/horses are nearby, it's probably a restart, unless you've got a resourcelss UU.

Ancient Era Resourceless UU's are great IMO.

The UU is not that bad. The free Combat 1 already brings its stren. to 6 and the woodsman aint that bad either. I admit that i would prefer a Praet over a Jag any day but it still nothing to laugh at either.

Actually, for those who play starcraft, i compare Monty to the Zerg, massive amounts of cheap units and a ability to produce them quickly is pretty good!

Monty is nothing like the zerg. And I don't believe the strength promo brings his strength up to 6. But the UU is actually quite decent

Top Bottom